PDA

View Full Version : Words you'd like banned

Off-Black
4th Nov 2005, 11:00
Does anyone else have words or phrases they are plain sick of hearing and would happily see erased from the language?

For example:
"Extreme" when used in any sport's or entertainment context.

"Virtual" or "Virtually".

"Interactive". Just about anything you can see or touch is interactive. My hat is interactive.

"PC gone mad". Rapidly becoming a cliche in itself.

"(insert town/country with an inferiority complex name here)'s answer to some other bigger places latest fad or phenomenon." Being from a small country I see this one a lot. Why do you need an answer. Is someone asking a question?

Feel somewhat sad for posting this as a topic, but curious to see if I am the only one in this somewhat learned company who hates relentless yuckspeak.

Wyler
4th Nov 2005, 11:06
Over-Arching

Synergy

Empowerment

Ireducible Spare capacity

Bonding

Interleaving

Investors In People

McDonalds

Uterus

Gland

Crevice

Epidemic

Blair

Brown

Prescott

Lock n' Load
4th Nov 2005, 11:07
Something that started with British football commentators and has now spread to even news readers on the formerly frightfully proper BBC.... The use of "pressurised" when they mean "pressured". I found it so annoying I left the country.

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Nov 2005, 11:07
Anything PC, textspeak, management jargon gobbledygook, corporate bovine faecal matter.:* :mad: :mad: :yuk:

VitaminGee
4th Nov 2005, 11:12
Yes. "24/7" and the US led tendency for overuse of superlatives especially "awesome" :yuk:

VG

bear11
4th Nov 2005, 11:14
Absoloutely

One hundred and ten percent

Winningest - you and me together, VG

On another level, one has a hatred of being called either "Sir" (never required), or "Son" by people entirely unqualified and unsuited, so I'd happily ban them also.

panda-k-bear
4th Nov 2005, 11:15
Wyler, I quite like "gland" and "crevice". They sound rude...

I hate "lickle" and I hate "pecific" - oft bandied about by ill educated halfwits.

Oh and I don't like "oft" much, either.

I'll go and stand in the corner.

As for a phrase - "value added" just about does it for me. It's a great idea and it looks really good but what's the "added value"? What a bunch of muffins. (Sorry that's a different thread).

colmac747
4th Nov 2005, 11:15
By the way

:mad:

G-CPTN
4th Nov 2005, 11:18
"result"
when applied to the (inevitable) outcome of an event between 22 souls chasing a pigs bladder, but implying a victory.

>By the way

By the way what? (By the way . . . )

>I quite like "gland"

Chinese couple, hand in hand, hand on gland, gland on gland, gland in gland. Oh gland!

airborne_artist
4th Nov 2005, 11:22
Quantum leap - quite the reverse of what is meant - it actually means the smallest possible change.

Reorganisation - you expect an improvement in something (service, cost, efficiency etc.) but all you get is ....

B Fraser
4th Nov 2005, 11:23
"Solutions"

Last week, I saw a trade advert for "Fluid Transfer Solutions". When I was a kid, we called them hoses. :confused:

I agree with banning "Quantum leap" as such events are actually extremely small and totally random :8

tilewood
4th Nov 2005, 11:41
Being addressed as " Young man" by smart-arsed, uneducated
people who are considerably younger than me!

At the end of the day.
At this moment in time.
Synergy
New Labour.
The Project.
Cherie Bliar
Syndrome
Community.
Ethnic.
Multi-cultural.
Politically correct.

And several others my blood pressure will not allow me to write.

Gainesy
4th Nov 2005, 11:46
Just about every other word on any corporate brochure, press release, catalogue. Pick one at random, you'll see what I mean.:yuk:

Davaar
4th Nov 2005, 11:54
I'd settle for never again seeing "methinks" in PPRuNe. It mesickens.

Farmer 1
4th Nov 2005, 11:55
All clichés should be avoided, like the plague, methinks.

panda-k-bear
4th Nov 2005, 12:01
Gadzooks, Davaar. How so?

Wyler
4th Nov 2005, 12:02
Soul mate

Bosom Buddy

Closing Down sale

All Stock Must Go

Crazy Reductions

Celebrity

Adverts for female Hygene producrs (especially the demonstrations using files of blue water!!!!!!)

ASBO

Phone for free

Canal

Mucus

Pus

Flap

tony draper
4th Nov 2005, 12:06
Methinks? Shakespearean in it,nowt wrong wi that.
Awareness,one hates that fecker as in,

"Nob rot awareness day"
or

"People with one leg shorter than tother awareness day"

awareness is a huggy fluff word
:suspect:

Yorks.ppl
4th Nov 2005, 12:08
max, maxed, maxed out.

Heard an otherwise sensible person the other day saying her credit card was "maxed out"
When I asked she meant it was up to its limit:yuk:

Go Smoke
4th Nov 2005, 12:12
'Spigot' - Hate it so much I can barely force myself to say it.

also

'Gutted'

I do however like 'flange'

Dealing with lots of sp*g*ts at work at the moment - not happy. Thankfully there are a few flanges thrown in to counter balance the the plethora of sp....., spi....., spig...,s!!

Wyler
4th Nov 2005, 12:16
All medical names.

Really embarassing going to the doc.

'Doc, I have a problem with my testicles'.....Yuk!!!!

'Doc, me luv spuds are itchy'......MUCH better.

Capt.KAOS
4th Nov 2005, 12:17
"Weapons Of Mass Destruction"

Taildragger55
4th Nov 2005, 12:22
"Spigot" is one of the great English words, up there with "grommet"

My daughter once stayed for a week with a girl who used the term "ickle". How she stopped herself from using an axe on her she'll never know.

Use of the word "Exclusive" should carry a sentence of immediate dismebowellment.

"Celebrity" is an acceptable word. Celebnrities, of course, should be eradicated.

tony draper
4th Nov 2005, 12:27
Some great words have fallen into disuse,such as feculant,

"Begone thou feculant churl, lest one fetch you a buffet round thy ear"
:(

Curious Pax
4th Nov 2005, 12:27
"Going forward" is my current pet hate, used by Mrs CP a lot (though now happening less as I take the p*ss every time she does it). Shouldn't complain too much though as it seems to work for her - she keeps getting promoted whilst I just go round in ever decreasing circles in a cul-de-sac!

Hairy Mary
4th Nov 2005, 12:30
Depends on where you are but:

"Lay" when they mean lie,
"acrossed" when they mean across,
"gender" when they mean sex,
"could care less" when they mean couldn't care less,
"assure" when they mean ensure,
"horseback riding" when they mean horse riding,
"K9" when they mean dog.

Wyler
4th Nov 2005, 12:33
'Onwards and upwards'

'Strive for success'

'There's no 'I' in team'

'You only have 6 months to live'

Farmer 1
4th Nov 2005, 12:34
Customer support. Has anyone actually (that's another word to be banned) ever met one of these mythical beasts?

airship
4th Nov 2005, 12:37
"No" would be a good start.

Especially when it's used in response to questions addressed to the boss when asking for a raise, the bank manager, pretty girls in pubs etc.

I'll get my coat...

Wyler
4th Nov 2005, 12:45
'Masturbation'....awful. A really w*nk name so lets pull it forever , toss it on the pile and wash our hands of it.

panda-k-bear
4th Nov 2005, 12:47
"Help Desk".

Say no more.

Paris Dakar
4th Nov 2005, 12:58
"Safe Haven"

"Thinking outside your box"

BlueDiamond
4th Nov 2005, 13:02
Pro-active
Lifestyle
Closure

:(

Go Smoke
4th Nov 2005, 13:21
‘Pacific’ when used instead of ‘Specific’

Sorry TD55 just can't do the 'spigot' thing - 'Grummets' are good though.

I did know someone who would run screaming from the room if you used the word 'Moist'

None of the above
4th Nov 2005, 13:44
'Mate' ..........

I am not the'mate' of the tatty herbert uttering it, nor am I ever likely to be.

'Temperature controlled distribution/logistics'..............

Refrigerated lorry.

Wyler
4th Nov 2005, 13:55
Deferred Success

'Mrs Bloggs, we have had defferred success in removing your tumour........'

Transgender Outreach Operative

Tobacco Reduction Manager (NHS special!)

Davaar
4th Nov 2005, 13:59
Meknows Shakespeare used methinks. Milton too, actually. Meknows that the incidence of the merely literate, far less of the Shakespearean scholar, here (and, clichewise, where else? Hereabouts, of course) is not so very common per acre and the local methinkers do by their use of the word exhaust their command of the Bard, and do use it, as Shakespeare did not, only in its connotations of the:

twee;
arch;
roguish;
consciously or affectedly playful or teasing;
playfully mischievous;
or plain wet;

sometimes directed at me by some ox who fancies himself a wit, but is not up to the job. I try then not to let him have it between the eyes.

Methinks, anyway.

Jerricho
4th Nov 2005, 14:13
How about

FARRELL

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck05.gif

barit1
4th Nov 2005, 14:37
TV journalists' "Breaking news"

"Parameter" (when what's intended is a metaphorical play on "perimeter")

"Go ahead and..."

Wyler
4th Nov 2005, 14:45
Interdepartmental.

Tights

Gusset

Thong

G-CPTN
4th Nov 2005, 14:47
Isn't a quantum leap what Schroedinger's Cat did?

I grew up (!) with gusset - especially re-inforced central ones (probably Spirella)

That's all for this moment in time innit?

Stockpicker
4th Nov 2005, 15:06
"Momentarily"

as in "One of our customer service officers will be with you momentarily"

- that's not much use, they'll need to hang around for a few seconds just so's I can tell them what the problem is!

G-CPTN
4th Nov 2005, 15:20
"Blue sky thinking"
"unique" (when there's thousands - well, perhaps at least two)
"millions" when ani fule no it's an exaggeration
"@" when it's not necessary, ie part of an email addie (niece signed herself @lex)
"dot" - who WAS Dot? Couldn't we have had something like Cerf or Berners-Lee?

panda-k-bear
4th Nov 2005, 15:25
Where does using "@" to mean "about" come from? I've seen it here once or twice and had a girlfriend who used to do that about 15 years ago - long before e-mail became commonplace.

Hopeless case, really.

Hairy Mary
4th Nov 2005, 15:26
Schedule when it's incorrectly pronounced to sound like shed yule.
Sorry, I know that's how most of you would say it but that doesn't make it right.

Anal, as in anal retentive. That just makes me pucker.

@ for about was probably mistaken for the little circle with the c in it which means circa which is latin for about.

panda-k-bear
4th Nov 2005, 15:29
So what about my friend mr. Schmidt? Is he actually Mr. Skmidt, then?

Nice girl as she was, she would not have known that. Wonder where she picked it up....

Hairy Mary
4th Nov 2005, 15:35
Depends, is he from Germany or Rome?

tony draper
4th Nov 2005, 15:38
Tarzan had the right of it, he had a one word vocabulary, "Umgawah" it could be used to tell Jane to get her kit off, order a Elephant to drop that big log on those bally natives over there, or indeed if necesssary could be used to explain relativity both general and special.
:cool:

I.R.PIRATE
4th Nov 2005, 15:38
Buggy
Gusset
UN

G-CPTN
4th Nov 2005, 15:40
>Wonder where she picked it up....

Probably where she picked-up you :ok:

tart1
4th Nov 2005, 15:40
Sorry Hairy but we do have shed yules in UK! :cool:

G-CPTN
4th Nov 2005, 15:41
>Tarzan had the right of it, he had a one word vocabulary, "Umgawah"

Nowadays we say 'canny' ;)

I.R.PIRATE
4th Nov 2005, 15:43
hold, as in proceed to....

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Nov 2005, 15:46
IRP

UN - You too, eh?:suspect:

I.R.PIRATE
4th Nov 2005, 15:47
Hell yeah, clowns

Davaar
4th Nov 2005, 15:55
To me, Hairy, or if you prefer, Mary, the c in the circle is the symbol for "copyright", as in:

Hairy Mary
4th Nov 2005, 16:02
Tart, I know.
It was a sheme dreamt up by shizophrenic sholars in the shools while listening to sherzo arias by Vivaldi.

flying bizzie
4th Nov 2005, 17:14
What brasses me off is when a product is described as "New and Improved!"

If it's new, how the **** can it be improved?:}

frostbite
4th Nov 2005, 17:32
'Nucular' as in George Dubya (and others).

Duckbutt
4th Nov 2005, 17:32
"PC gone mad".

Referring back to the first post in this thread, should that perhaps have read "PC gone mentally challanged"?

I.R.PIRATE
4th Nov 2005, 17:33
PC, not computer

arcniz
4th Nov 2005, 19:26
METHINKS, THEREFORE MEAMS

Howard Hughes
4th Nov 2005, 19:34
Back on a sporting theme THREEPEAT, can't stand it!!

Davaar
4th Nov 2005, 19:50
Chunnel
Funtastic California

Loki
4th Nov 2005, 20:15
How about all those mindless e mails from "managers" who promise us "exciting new visions" (perhaps they`ve been on the magic mushrooms). Then they talk of "rolling out the latest management initiative" and "challenges"

captain cumulonimbus
4th Nov 2005, 20:43
Awareness

Disability

Challenged

Previously disadvantaged

BEE (A S African econimic/political fad.)

Level the playing field

Bring (something/someone) to the party.(as in: he brings new skills to the party)

Skills

Manage.as in "manage" healthcare or "manage" trauma.

grassroots level

"For the people"

Empower

Initiative.Used as a noun.

Gonorrea

vulva

LuckyStrike
4th Nov 2005, 20:51
can
could
may
might
maybe
possibly
probably
likely
supposedly

So on so forth... It is either "is/are" or "isn't/aren't", I hate confusion dammit :mad:

NotTheOrganGrinder
4th Nov 2005, 21:09
'Basically'

Why does everyone have to add this to their sentences? Both people sitting either side of me use the word constantly, one (my manager) used it *THREE* times in one sentence. A group meeting a few months had almost every person use it.

'At the end of the Day'

Just because you heard some fool (although no doubt cleverer than yourself) on Big Brother say it repeatedly, does not mean that copying it makes you sound more intelligent.

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

av8boy
4th Nov 2005, 21:19
-“Literally” When someone uses the word “literally” I immediately listen more closely because (in my experience), in the vast majority of cases, it’s going to be something figurative. For instance, “I had too much to drink last night and this morning my head was literally exploding.” I think not. Even apart from the fact that the event described by the past continuous tense of “explode” would generally be very brief, this sentence irritates me.

-Anything that smacks of language like, “…semi-structured maximized stakeholder paradigmatic output consensus…”

Vulva? I like vulva.

markflyer6580
4th Nov 2005, 21:28
Any of this text message rubbish:-

BTW
IMHO
GR8
M8
etc, stop it you illiterate muppets,learn how to spell and get yourself a vocabulary.(I'm sure they sell them on ebay!)

P.S I agree with getting rid of:- at the end of the day right,
d'ya know wot I mean, also used by aforementioned illiterate muppets and chavs trying to appear middle class:mad:

Spinflight
4th Nov 2005, 21:29
Methinks depression (as in the medical term) should be banned and replaced with something nastier sounding. 'Tis an 'orrible injustice to those wot ave suffered summat narstie.

Is usually made to look as though someone be mildly miffed by the media.

Lawyer deserves a vote too, especially with the prefix 'human rights' but all seem to revel and profit from the depths of human misery.

tart1
4th Nov 2005, 21:35
Yes I was also surprised at Capt C not liking vulva!! :E

My colleague at work is in the habit of saying on the phone:

"I'm sorry, but right now he's not currently at his desk at the moment."

I really haven't the heart to say anything to her about it ........... it's very funny though. ;)

av8boy
4th Nov 2005, 21:46
Which puts me in mind of another… Dunno how these things are named on that side of the pond, but on this side the things you put your bank card into and get money back are called automatic teller machines, or ATMs. The code that you put in is called your personal identification number, or PIN. Common usage: “Is there an ATM machine around here?” and “Please enter your PIN number.” Arrrrgh! Don’t let me hear you say that after I’ve had a few beers…

Sales Person (at the point of sale where I’ve just used my bank card): “Please enter your PIN number.”
Me (having managed not to blurt out “I can flipping read the thing! I’ll put it in as soon as the screen tells me to!” I DO blurt out): “PIN number?”
Sales Person: “Yeah. Your PIN number.”
Me: “What does ‘PIN’ stand for?”
Sales Person: “Personal Identification Number.”
Me: “So you want me to enter my Personal Identification Number number?”
Sales Person: “Yes please.”
:*

Darth Nigel
4th Nov 2005, 22:13
How'd you feel about "Automated ATM Machine" (which I saw on a sign at a Mall in Billerica!!)???

I am heartily sick of the phrases
"post nine-eleven world"
and
"for the sake of the children"
usually because they are used by political muppets (or news 'personalities') as a way of deflecting critical thinking.

SyllogismCheck
4th Nov 2005, 22:58
Same as the 'most irritating sound' thread..... 'Time at the bar'.

av8boy, you best add 'SIM card' to your list too. ;)

seacue
4th Nov 2005, 23:06
"Please remit" which follows the line "Grand total"

Secret Squire
4th Nov 2005, 23:39
"Hero" when used to describe people of a footballing ilk, or other such underserving use of the word.

mooguy
5th Nov 2005, 01:28
Un-Australian.

Proactive.

Enormity, (instead of Magnitude.)

colonel cameron
5th Nov 2005, 02:59
Shot with a Bow and Arrow when they mean were shot with an, Arrow.

Shot with a Gun when they mean were shot with a, Bullet.

The most misused word today, ABSOLUTELY. when a simple YES will do.

Davaar
5th Nov 2005, 03:44
From any clip of Royalty or more generally the English upper-middle to upper classes: "Obviously", as in:

"Yis. One does attend Ascot. Obviously".
"One does, obviously, hunt".

Ascend Charlie
5th Nov 2005, 04:31
DUDE DUDE DUDE

makes me throw up, dude...

DeBurcs
5th Nov 2005, 05:37
.....makes you hurl...

Partner How about boy/girl-friend or even wife or husband. Used by insecure people (Usually women!) who crave an equality they probably already have.

Mrs PrunePoster - How about just referring to "your wife"?? eg "I mentioned this thread to Mrs SpodTypist and she agreed..." It's old.

Mate But only to be banned for use by women, out of whose mouths it sounds trashy.

Wimmin

Peeps

Solutions when used in any form of business advertising. Okay if used by a submariner about something he sees in the 'scope.

Supercalafragilisticexpialadocious

Binoculars
5th Nov 2005, 06:34
Another emphatic vote for dude.

Farmer 1
5th Nov 2005, 07:01
At this point in time:

I'd like to add a couple to one or two mentioned above.

HIV virus
AIDS syndrome

I once worked as a contractor for BP. The provided us with self-addressed envelopes to send them our bills etc. They were addressed to BP Petroleum.

Another contractor was ASL, which I believe was Associated Scaffolding Ltd. I saw many references to ASL Ltd, and quite a few to ASL Scaffolding Ltd.

Bows and arrows - how often do you hear of someone firing an arrow, often in a historical drama?

Krystal n chips
5th Nov 2005, 07:17
The "ultimate"---as in junk food, CD's from some group etc---:yuk:

"Hubby and missus"--pure tabloid dross.

" The process"-----with particular reference to the context in which it is deemed applicable by the :mad: species known collectively as "Social workers". :mad:

"safety is always our greatest concern"---of course it is, irrespective of the industry-- translates as "it's just that really if we can get away with doing the bare minimum and thus making more profit, then we simply hope nothing goes wrong and utter a pious and hypocritical public relations statement when it does". :yuk:

Loose rivets
5th Nov 2005, 07:27
Mmmm..........yep, Mmmms getting used a lot.

But, at this moment in time, you must realise, that it has to be said, that in plane-speak, one. has been known to utilize words such as biggerize and smallerize; useful for the buttons at the top right of yer screen. But, never...never ever, will I be known to use the word, ASPIRATIONS.
Which puts me in mind of Football strip.

MOT test.
Back passage
Stool sample Who the fcuk thought up the word stool. Eeeetccch!!! ‘Master of the stools.' I think you had to be a lord to have that job. :sad:

Pubic hair.

gaggin' for it." eeeeeewww. Er, come to that eeeeeewww is totally gross. So is gross. So is Anal...as is gutted.

‘Cost and arm and a leg' is pretty armless I suppose.

USA Rest room. Honk (for hoot):yuk:

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2005, 08:46
fcuk fcuk fcuk fcuk fcuk fcuk

RAC/OPS
5th Nov 2005, 09:01
Like, as in "It was like really excellent" Oh and 'excellent' in this context

ATC controllers

VHF frequencies

Binoculars
5th Nov 2005, 09:14
Or even more irritatingly; Like, as in:

So I'm like... and shes like, hello??... and I"m like...whatever.

:mad:

BlueEagle
5th Nov 2005, 09:42
"Mate But only to be banned for use by women, out of whose mouths it sounds trashy."

Not when it is an instruction!
:ok:

Flying Lawyer
5th Nov 2005, 10:01
racist - commonly used to attack people who, for example, express concern about immigration levels or the volume of asylum applications

apologist - eg Describing people who condemn Isaeli government actions against the Palestinans as 'Palestinian apologists'

homophobia and homophobic - the absurd allegation that people who say anything critical of homosexual behaviour must be afraid of it

Gay

Chairperson - and most other words which include ' -person'

fecking, fcuk

Yorks.ppl
5th Nov 2005, 10:06
MOT test.

Whats wrong with MOT test ?:confused:

BALIX
5th Nov 2005, 10:27
Rocket science, as in 'It isn't rocket science y'know...'.

I mean, rocket science is hardly complicated, is it? Get a load of fuel, set it alight and whooooooosh!!! More fuel, more woooosh, that's about it.

Rocket engineering, however, is a different matter :ooh:

captain cumulonimbus
5th Nov 2005, 10:48
Some more:

"racist" (as FLYING LAWYER said).I agree.its only ever used to describe whites' actions,never when other races have ugly run-ins.

"roll out" as in "the roll out of the public health campagn"

"hello!"...when used with particular intonation and emphasis,as in" like,HELLO! what do you expect?"

"dossier" being pronounced "dosseeay".

rhythm method
5th Nov 2005, 10:55
Chrimbo instead of Christmas.

captain cumulonimbus
5th Nov 2005, 10:59
never heard it called THAT!

stagger
5th Nov 2005, 11:01
Whats wrong with MOT test ?

Nothing - doesn't MOT stand for "Ministry of Transport"? So...

MOT Test = Ministry of Transport Test

Nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps Loose Rivets thought the "T" stood for "test"?

Binoculars
5th Nov 2005, 11:15
nonsense, when preceded by the indefinite article, so in that context I actually want "a" banned. :hmm:

seachange
watershed
paradigm
zeitgeist
jejune

1DC
5th Nov 2005, 11:17
I'm a bit surprised that I use quite a few of these unpopular words..
I don't like to hear.....
know what i mean..
awesome..
matey..

probably hundreds more, but i can't be bothered..

tart1
5th Nov 2005, 11:51
I agree with Chrimbo. I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!:yuk: :yuk:

Also I was treated to a 'Cascade of information' recently. (It was really little more than a slide-show.)

frostbite
5th Nov 2005, 11:58
'Your call is valuable to us'

barit1
5th Nov 2005, 12:09
I like went to the ATM machine and punched in my PIN number...

Ausatco
5th Nov 2005, 12:19
"I'm like" followed by what I said.

"He went" followed by what he said.

"Set to" instead of "about to" or "about"

"Up for grabs" meaning "available". That and "set to" must be THE most hackneyed sports journalists' phrases.

Level playing field

Shifting the goal posts

Moving forward

With 20/20 hindsight

ketchup

American accented voice-overs advertising products already well established here, usually womens' cosmetics. They're the worst.

Syllables accentuated American-style by locals. eg OFFence, DEEfence, hurrIECAYNE, terrytorie and a host of others.

MS Word on your computer defaulting to ameriecane :) English no matter where in the English speaking world you live. Yes, you can change it, but the change doesn't stick - well it doesn't on my machine.

Just about every Americanism bastardising our culture and language, starting from 14 Feb 1966 when we couldn't find anything better than "dollar" to define the half pound, the then new unit of currency.

God give me patience!

AA

PS I have American family and have travelled extensively in USA and have had nothing but good times. I have nothing but good to say about the people I've met. But why must we allow our culture to be displaced by theirs?

DeBurcs
5th Nov 2005, 12:25
Mine doesn't stick either.

As for terrytorie, blame the English. They're the ones who spelt "territory" that way. Confuses everyone.

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2005, 12:33
Chrimbo is 'common' in our family.
How about 'sarni'?

yintsinmerite
5th Nov 2005, 12:43
A phrase I dread hearing and would like banned

"Orbit in current position, you are number 6 in traffic"

Shack37
5th Nov 2005, 15:10
I would have banned banned

frostbite
5th Nov 2005, 17:09
Cool / Uncool

SO not.......

Let's move on from this*

*Bliar as in Blunkett, Mandelson, etc., etc..

Techchick
5th Nov 2005, 19:05
When someone describes a boring conversation they had using the term, "And I turned around and said.." always followed by, "..And then she turned around and said...", usually repeated at least 6 or 7 times.... :ugh: :bored:

I have mental images of them both spinning on the spot....

henry crun
5th Nov 2005, 20:17
"Gets to" :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

+'ve ROC
5th Nov 2005, 21:58
"action"

as in "can you action this please?":yuk:

What's wrong with 'do'?:confused:

HowlingWind
6th Nov 2005, 02:08
"Wake up call," when used in any context other than its original use in a place of lodging. :*

Loose rivets
6th Nov 2005, 05:02
MOT test?????????????

There doesn't have to be anything wrong with it to qualify for the thread question.

I just don't like the bl00dy sound of it since it stopped being the ten year test.

Oh, and 'bear with me' toooooo silly. (and too tempting for a smutty, anti BT rules reply)

I rest my case...........on what?

OH yes **** me...I nearly forgot. I DID IT MY WAY Aaaaaaagggghghghgh:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Jerricho
6th Nov 2005, 05:15
I DID IT MY WAY Aaaaaaagggghghghgh

You more of a "New York, New York" fan then?

;)

Maple 01
7th Nov 2005, 10:00
'Stealth tax'

Is it

a: tax on US low radar visibility technology

b: Slack-jawed lazy right-wing journo speak for ‘tax’

c: mindless soundbite for Tory politicians and their supporters

If it’s stealthy you can’t see it, if you can, it isn’t stealthy

It’s getting almost as bad as ‘~gate’

VitaminGee
7th Nov 2005, 10:28
tart1 Also I was treated to a 'Cascade of information' recently. did you get some 'dovetailing of initiatives' at the same time?:yuk:

Why is the term "Gay and Lesbian" used when Lesbian is clearly superfluous in this context?

G-CPTN
7th Nov 2005, 12:11
>Why is the term "Gay and Lesbian" used when Lesbian is clearly superfluous in this context?

There's nowt as queer as folk.

Heliport
7th Nov 2005, 12:22
Why is 'Gay' used at all?
'Homosexual' is both correct and adequate.

Davaar
7th Nov 2005, 12:32
Can heterosexuals discuss sex with a straight face?

Go Smoke
7th Nov 2005, 13:00
'Racialist"

When somebody says - "I'm not racialist"

Racialist!!!!........ give me strength you moron it's "Racist"

Edited - just looked it up and, apparently, it is a correct word! - whatever next.

G-CPTN
7th Nov 2005, 13:02
Racialist

n : a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

So it's perfectly possible to say "I'm not racialist" and mean it . . .

Go Smoke
7th Nov 2005, 13:05
Yup, I just checked it as well and it came up as correct. Edited post to reflect that.
Still, don't like it and would have it banned!

answer=42
7th Nov 2005, 13:22
at this time
going forward
ongoing
downsize
right-size
thinking outside the box
pushing the envelope
giving 110% / 200%
'ears' instead of 'yes'
luvverly jubbly

Farmer 1
7th Nov 2005, 14:29
I read once of a spate of fires. It did not explain why the spate (i.e. flood) did not extinguish the fires.

WX Man
8th Nov 2005, 14:23
Do you have an invite

(please, people: it's an INVITATION)

Oh, and anything with "0870" or "0845" in it.

EGBKFLYER
8th Nov 2005, 14:39
I particularly hate 'learnings', as in 'what are the learnings here?'

Ugh. All too common at my current employer...

Oh yeah, nearly forgot - helicopter pilots who fly a certain type of turbine craft should know it's an AGUSTA not an 'AUGUSTA'. Most of the time it's written on the side of the thing anyhow.

barit1
8th Nov 2005, 18:43
I particularly hate 'learnings', as in I particularly hate 'learnings', as in 'what are the learnings here?'
Alternatively: 'what are the takeaways here?'
:yuk:

And they decided to reduce the number of management layers, didn't tell anyone, but started using the codeword 'delayering'. Right now that process is being reversed. :confused:

Ricky Storm
8th Nov 2005, 19:20
This really pi$$es me off "At the end of the day"

Also my F/O "Do we really have to do the pre flight check? It's raining outside" Big tart Danny.

Champagne Anyone?
8th Nov 2005, 19:25
Haven't had time to read the whole post but my word would be BECKHAM! Sick and tired of hearing about that prat. Ban it! Now! :E