PDA

View Full Version : BMI heathrow to cork???

virgincrew99
4th Nov 2005, 06:14
have recently heard that bmi are interested in flying london heathrow to cork?? does anyone have any definate information regarding this start up service??
thanks all

no, no, no
4th Nov 2005, 09:08
do you really think that with easyJet and Ryanair fighting it out in the Cork market that a new airline from Heathrow could work?

FlyCorkInternational
4th Nov 2005, 09:44
It has been rumoured for a long long time that BMI were interested in commencing LHR-ORK. At beginning of 2004 it was a very hot issue, but nothing came of it. Would be good to have competition on route with EI, but not sure if it will ever materialise.

4th Nov 2005, 10:11
There's probably too much capacity on Cork-London as it is. However, since Aer Lingus stopped carrying freight on short-haul, there could be a decent amount of money to be made there.

Mind you, I would have expected BMI to be looking at increasingly using their Heathrow slots for long-haul in the future.

Count von Altibar
4th Nov 2005, 11:09
I think Cork would be a great route for bmi. There two best short-haul routes in terms of 'bums on seats' are definitely Heathrow to Belfast/Dublin. Always great demand on the Irish routes, would like Cork nightstops as well!

brian_dromey
4th Nov 2005, 11:28
Bmi used to operate a service to Gatwick (bmibaby), and bmi baby has a significant presence at Cork. Bmi therefore know how Cork works and the travel patterns. A lot has been made of the new FR services to LGW, and that there is a lot of new capacity. The reality is, however, that there is only one extra rotation to London a day. As the STN service has been reduced to daily x3 from daily x5, and the LGW service is daily x3. No doubt that U2 will feel the preasure. Gone by winter schedules, I'd say.

Bmi could make LHR work if they accecpt Cargo, have a business class and at least a three times daily service. The star alliance does not have a direct connection to Cork ex LHR, so with strong interline agreements it could also work. Look at LHR-DUB it is usually full in Business and is one of the strongest performers in the BD network, no one else operates a business class service to London, ex Cork so with say an A319 with a large business class cabin, and the rest as Bmi baby, its a no brainer.

FlyCorkInternational
4th Nov 2005, 17:15
Well, Brian, were already in the winter schedules and U2 are still here. Assume you might mean Summer schedules.

In fact U2 seem to be getting healthy loads on ORK-LGW and are apparently happy with them. I do not see them throwing in the towel that easy...

brian_dromey
4th Nov 2005, 21:42
Sorry bout the confusion, ment next winter.... 06/07....

On the issue of loads, the FR service has not begun yet (11th Nov) and after that point I think EZY will feel the heat. They have already halved capacity to SNN. The simple fact of the matter is that FR have lower costs, and will, ultimately loose less on the route.MOL is ruthless in regards to the Irish routes, as they are his most profitable. They effectively subsidise much of the european network, as it grows. IMO he will be prepared to battle it out untill U2 are forced to retreat.Does any-one remember the short lived Go services?