PDA

View Full Version : United@LHR

dupont3700
4th Nov 2005, 05:22
I heard last week that UA will start recruiting Cabin Crew in January. True or false?

High-Flying-Adored
5th Nov 2005, 00:43
A few month's ago uA announced that they intended to 're-introduce' a large portion (in the 1000's) of thier furloughed FA's at all there bases.

In the same announcement it was also forseen that many of these staff would have sought employment elsewhere and would not reutrn and that new positions would be made available on the premise that all spots were given to the furloughed ones first.

rubarb
5th Nov 2005, 08:43
Does anyone know much about the base with United at London Heathrow? What trips/ destinations, length of trips, pay scales etc? Any information would be appreciated. If not able to display on mesage board then a private message would be great. All assistance appreciated ! Thanks:D

Jetlagged Purser
5th Nov 2005, 18:37
It is true that United has announced plans to hire flight attendants in early 2006. All furloughed flight attendants that took a voluntary furlough have been recalled to work. It has been said that recruitment is expected to be in the United States, with new hires being based in San Francisco, Chicago, and Washington. This would mean that all recruits would have to be legal to work in the US.

As far as hiring outside of the US is concerned, United flight attendants based outside of the US are members of the US union the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA). The AFA contract does however allow for a certain number of 'regional' flight attendants that are not union members and not paid union wages, usually considerably lower. These f/a's wear different uniforms, cannot be mixed with union crews, and have to be furloughed before any union f/a. This was done shortly after the 9/11 attacks. Previous bases for 'regional' f/a's' were Singapore and Bangkok. It is expected that United would exercise the ability to hire 'regionals' now that all AFA flight attendants have been recalled, but, no plans for this have been officially announced.

This is the word from the US West Coast. Hopefully someone can add information and perspectives from those bases outside of the US.

tofster
5th Nov 2005, 20:00
I'm afraid that the rumour of United hiring in London is just that. My partner had been with United since they opened the LHR base after the demise of Pan Am. There are plans to close the Paris base early next year (although as we all know this could chnage in a heart beat!). All of the Paris based flight attendants will be offered the opportunity to transfer to LHR. There is also a list as long as your arm for flight attendants that are waiting to transfer into LHR from US bases. The transfers have not been open for years now. All staff on involuntary furlough are back at UAL in London, and only those on voluntary furlough are still out.
I would agree with a previous poster that the hiring is likely to be in the US for US bases.
Hope this helps a little.

T X