PDA

View Full Version : Headcount reduction at Copterline

ppheli
4th Nov 2005, 04:41
Financial pressures at Finnish operator Copterline are apparently leading to headcount reductions. I believe the story goes as follows - but as always, open to correction etc

The S76 accident led to a short-term dropping of the service, and I understand it has now restarted, albeit on a much lower frequency. While this whole episode has been a drain on resources, it was not the root cause of the problem but an unfortunately timed extra factor.

The problems started when they ordered six EC135s in the belief they were going to win the national EMS contract, previously split roughly equally between themselves and SHT. Apparently "a man at the ministry" tipped them off that all would be OK. However, the contract was awarded roughly 50/50 again, and thus there are new 135s sitting idle. SHT meanwhile did not order their 135s until they had got the contract in writing, and leased in three from Austria until their new ones were up and running - a move which has proved very shrewd.

Sad really. I believe they were also interested in acquiring an S92 for the Tallinn route - was a deposit paid, or not? That too may impact the whole story.