PDA

View Full Version : McAffee due to expire

Paracab
4th Nov 2005, 01:15
Okay, the scenario is thus....

McAffee is about to expire, however it reguarly caused me mega hassle as it took so long to load/sign in. I've just download AVG (free) so I'm not going to be doing it without protection, as it were.

Does AVG offer adequate protection ? I have read the sticky, but it is a little old and things change. Thoughts from people that know loads more about 'puters than I would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys,

Pc

oldfella
4th Nov 2005, 04:22
I had a McAfee setup on a pc and it was due to expire. Kept coming up with reminders and although I tried to renew online it just got stuck in a loop - gave up.

I went to my local computer shop to buy a new antivirus setup and ended up buying Panda. No problems over the last year, waiting to see how renewal goes.

I've used Norton in the past. When it was due for renewal there was a newer version so I bought it and tried to load it. It wouldn't load over the old version so I did an uninstall. Some files must have been left behind as the new version just kept coming up with the fact that there was an older version in there. Gave up and set it up on my wife's new laptop.

I've used AVG as an interim setup while configuring other software but prefer the extras that come with some of the brand names. Currently running McAfee Internet Security on a laptop. Slightly long to load but happy with it so far.

Background Noise
4th Nov 2005, 09:00
Dunno - but with respect to annual subscription: I find that when the year it is just as cheap to buy the newer version of the software as renew the existing one for another year - yes you may have to uninstall first but you get the upgrade. Many online retailers will sell OEM versions pretty cheaply ie comparable with update charges.

P.Pilcher
4th Nov 2005, 09:44
I have a friend who used to be an insurance broker and more than 10 years ago decided to start selling computers for a living instead. That he is totally self taught, doesn't advertise and, to this day, makes a successful living from supplying and installing computers says a lot for his abilities. He recommends Panda as it deals not only with virus protection but also spyware and malware in one go. I must admit I was very tempted when I had my AVG problem - see below. However I am using Avast now and slowly getting used to it.

P.P.

windy1
4th Nov 2005, 19:47
Like others. I got fed up with Norton: Live update kept misfiring, 2005 wouldn't install over 2004, couldn't purge 2004, spending 2 hrs doing their complex workarounds incl. messing with the registry etc. Life should not be that hard: God help non-pc literate people. Got zone alarm instead. Simple install, invisible virus updates and no worms, trojans, virii as yet after 4 months. Gets my vote.

Mac the Knife
4th Nov 2005, 19:57
McAfee WAS good, once upon a time, but is now a piece of ****e.

Go for the paid-for version of AVG - I've been using it on one system for the last few months and it is excellent and not intrusive. When the Symantec/Norton sub runs out on my son's Windows box I won't renew it, but go the AVG route.

And it's also my way of saying "Thanks" to AVG/Grisoft for releasing a pretty good free version too.

Le Pen
6th Nov 2005, 13:21
Hi,

Have to agree with P.Pilcher. I use Avast and love it.

Best of all, it's FREE

LINK (http://www.avast.com/)

LP