PDA

View Full Version : Adding Wi-Fi router existing network.

Keygrip
4th Nov 2005, 01:06
Bit of a complicated start this, bear with me....

In the days before Wi-Fi was affordable, reliable or easily available, I installed a small home network using shop bought Cat5 cables.

It starts at a DSL modem (which the company said was set up as a "bridge"). Then a straight connect to a Linksys 4 port router. Cable one came out to a PC (used 24/7). Cable 2 came out to an older PC in the guest room. Cable 3 went to a wall outlet by the sofa in the lounge - in case I wanted to plug in my laptop. Cable 4 went to an outlet by the swimming pool - in case I wanted to plug that laptop in whilst sitting on the patio.

All worked great - all three computers could see each other and swap files.

The along came the network printer. It has taken port 3 - so the other two "temporary outlet" cables must swap over - depending on where I want to sit with laptop.

Now, I'm considering running another hard wired circuit to run a computer connected to the TV/Audio stuff - so that will be 4 permanent circuits and two "plug in as required".

I have also bought a Wi-Fi adaptor for the laptop - also have a new Wi-fi laptop and a Wi-Fi PDA. So, now, we are looking at 4 permanent, two temporary and three Wi-Fi (all at once).

Today I bought a Wi-Fi plus 4 port router and thought of connecting it, via a cross over cable, through the "uplink" port of the hard wired router.

When putting the CDRom in the drive to set up the new Wi-Fi router, I get the VERY uneasy and distinct feeling that it is going to kill off all the network settings that I have already working.

Is this the case - or just paranoia? How would I connect my new Wi-Fi router through the back of the hard wired router - thus making 7 wired ports and unlimited Wi-Fi capability?

Saab Dastard
4th Nov 2005, 09:40
I think the only area that you will need to be careful is with IP addressing.

Assuming that the existing 4-port switch is assigning IP addresses via DHCP, you will need to ensure that the WAP DHCP scope does not overlap it.

Alternatively, you could switch off DHCP allocation from the Linksys as long as it is able to forward DHCP requests to the WAP.

Of course it is possible to turn off DHCP and use fixed addresses for all nodes.

With care you can mix modes - all hard-wired devices have fixed addresses, with only WIFI nodes using DHCP. Again you just have to be careful that the addressing scheme is consistent and that fixed & DHCP don't overlap.

As to what type of cable you will need - it depends on whether the WAP and / or Linksys have uplink / downlink ports or a switch port (MD / MDX). If they have, then these effectively act as the cross-over and you actually need a straight through cable. to cascade a hub or switch using a standard port does indeed require a X-over cable.

As long as you note down your existing configuration, you should have no problem experimenting - you can always restore things as they were.

Oh yes - and RTFM ;)

Stoney X
4th Nov 2005, 09:58
As Saad said, the DCHP/IP Address allocation is the thing to sort. I recently added a wireless router to my already happily running non-wireless network. The approach I found best was to setup the wireless router to not act as a DCHP server first before connecting it to the non-wireless router. That will allow your original router to continue working as before and the wireless router to simply act as a hub. As for connecting them together I just used the same cable that I orignally had between my laptop and the non-wireless router.

Regards
Stoney

Keygrip
4th Nov 2005, 20:23
Thank you folks - it's given me some direction to check on.

Saab - I'm afraid there is no FM to R. Everything seems to come on the CDRom now (with the drivers) but when the CD starts to auto run and takes over the screen to say "Installing", I have to pull it out in case the new stuff trashes everything I already have.

This has happened with the last three bits of software and the new laptop/notebook - not a shred of documentation with it - it's all on the CDRom or hard drive.

Wish I could RTFM - then I wouldn't have the delay in running the stuff as I wouldn't need to wait for your replies.

Thanks again

rotorcraig
4th Nov 2005, 20:29
Online copies of the FM for most kit can be found on the web these days.

Try a google search, or post the makes & models here and let us have a look round for you!

RC

Keygrip
5th Nov 2005, 01:39
I'm "downrange" for two days starting at :{ o'clock - so I'll have to save my own googling till Monday.

In the meantime - trying to add a DLink Dl-524 to the Linksys BEFSR41 (both of which are four port routers - the former with Wi-Fi).

Saab Dastard
5th Nov 2005, 10:00
There is no option to enable or disable automatically running CD-ROMs in the user interface. To enable or disable automatically running CD-ROMs, you must edit the registry:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.
4. Restart your computer.

NOTE: This method disables automatically running CD-ROMs. If you want to disable automatically running CD-ROMs depending on the CD-ROM that you insert in the CD-ROM drive, you can press and hold down one of the SHIFT key while you insert the CD-ROM.

rotorcraig
5th Nov 2005, 12:05
There are two manuals for DI-524 depending upon which revision you have - both available here (http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=316&sec=0#manual)

And BEFSR41 manual is available here (http://support.radioshack.com/support_accessories/doc66/66591.pdf)

RC

shuttlebus
5th Nov 2005, 16:38
All,

You can prevent CD's autoplaying when inserted. The options are: -

1) Hold down <shift> as the CD tray heads back into the drive from where it came (and long enough for Win to realise there is a CD in there) - This has been covered by Saab Dastard above...

2) Download TweakUI from the Microsoft Website and then in the options, use the "Disable autoplay" feature.

Best advice is always to leave the registry well alone unless absolutely necessary, as it can have dire consequences for the poor user if they get it wrong :(

Regards,

Shuttlebus

Keef
6th Nov 2005, 20:19
You mentioned that the printer is using one of the existing ports on the router? Probably too late now, but why do that?

My printer is connected to one of the PCs on the network, and shared with the others. That works just fine (as long as the PC with the printer is switched on, which it always is).

I tried (briefly) hooking two routers together and had some "fun" with the DHCP addressing. The fixed machines no longer use DHCP, but have their own allocated addresses (up in the range above 192.168.8.102). The laptop and the Ipaq use DHCP to the WiFi access point, and it all works smoothly. Then I went back to one router anyway.

Keygrip
7th Nov 2005, 02:16
Back from that trip now - thanks for all the answers.

Lots of things to study.

Why put the printer on a port? Both hard wired computers have their own functions and both have cheap and unexciting printers connected directly (for doing their own jobs).

The network printer is multi-function. Fax, scanner, copier, dual paper tray (A4 for my CAA stuff, Letter for my USA stuff), double sided printer for the bigger documents and manuals. Often set it churning away doing its stuff and then print the notes and garbage on the individual printers in the meantime.

Saab Dastard
7th Nov 2005, 17:10
Even if a CD starts to autorun, you can simply cancel it, then in My Computer, right-click the CD drive and select explore - Robert is then indeed your mother's brother!

Keygrip
28th Nov 2005, 04:43
Thanks for all the help folks - finally got it working this weekend.

Swapped the Linksys router for a wireless +4 port router - works a treat.

Thanks again.