PDA

View Full Version : Gulf states spec 120kph speed beeper! How to disable?

Yaw String
3rd Nov 2005, 17:03
Bought a Discovery Series 1 in Dubai on stopover some years ago. Using car in europe and that little beeper is now driving me mad. How do you disable it? Regards to all my former colleagues from Brunei, Martin Germann..:( :( :(

tiramisu too
3rd Nov 2005, 19:07
simple...............................................sell the car!

cyclops camel
4th Nov 2005, 06:08
Better yet - don't speed. Don't you think there are enough idiots on the roads already?

Sheikh Your Bootie
4th Nov 2005, 06:18
Maybe its the off road bits where he gets faster than 120k's :p :p

SyB :zzz:

Yaw String
4th Nov 2005, 06:37
It is a handy reminder that the fuel guage is going to move faster than the RPM counter at speeds above 120KPH.
Anyway, leaving aside the moral issues, am selling the car, in Europe, and some people like to drive closer to the 130KPH motorway limit in this country.
If only I knew which wire to cut! Hum...

N5528P
4th Nov 2005, 08:05
Go to the next repais shop and tell them - they should be able to figure which wire has to be cut.

I competely understand your problem - when I was in Dubai in 2004 I went nearly crazy driving through the empty desert on a straight road in beautiful weather with no other car to hit.

Regards, Bernhard

Uplink
4th Nov 2005, 08:09
take the car to the dealer and they will cut the wire. Worked for me :ok:

neilb767
5th Nov 2005, 10:50
what if you try driving in reverse, maybe it won't beep then.

jarops
5th Nov 2005, 11:14
THIS MUST BE ONLY THE HUMOR AND HELP FROM THE PILOT'S MOUTH!!! VERY NICE TIPS... :O

Well, here is another one.... USE EARPLUGS!!!

sirwa69
6th Nov 2005, 05:46
Sorry you cannot just cut a wire. The series 1 speed alarm is not electrical but mechanical.
If you listen closely the sound is of something scraping off another. There is some sort of abraded surface connected to the speedo cable and when it gets above a certain speed (120 kmh) centrifugal force causes it to rub against something else and cause a noise. You will notice that the faster you go the more frequent the noise becomes.

The only advice I can give you is to do what I did, get the foot planted to the floor for as much and as long as possible and get it up to about 150, (max speed) and eventually you will wear it out. :O :O

Now does anyone know how to get rid of the alarm in a XJ6? :confused:

max AB
6th Nov 2005, 07:55
Cut as many wires as you can see. Its a Discovery...it can't get any worse...!

Yaw String
6th Nov 2005, 14:43
And the prize goes too......sirwa69.
Congratulations sir,....but...don't give up your day job just yet!
I liked the idea of driving backwards....trouble is, it makes such an awfull clunking noise when selecting reverse that I prefer to avoid it!
My next car will be a Lada!
Nice man on a Landrover Forum showed me the module to disconnect.
Thanks to all.:ok: :ok: :ok:

higherflyer
13th Nov 2005, 22:28
Solution is to drive fast. I always found that the road noise at speeds above 160 kph did a good job of drowning out the high speed signal.