PDA

View Full Version : T.F.D.C Fly-Inn

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 13:28
ANyone been to any of the TFDC airshows? Anyone going down this year?? Sounds like a good idea for a small Get together...a bring and fly of sorts

sky waiter
3rd Nov 2005, 14:11
Ive been to the last two, its awesome, the flying displays are great you can get fairly close to the flying line and the cheetah breaks the sound barrier from 30 000ft, however bring a chair and an umbrella, not much space to sit except on tar, very little grass and the sun cooks out there, they advertised last year as a fly in venue, very little facilities camping wise too but im nit picking, if they keep it up like the previous years this is definately the best airshow in the cape region.... :ok: :ok:

Deanw
3rd Nov 2005, 14:33
I agree. TFDC has always put on a great display. Both the Hawk and German Tornado should be on display.

There is always something you don't see at other airshows, such as dropping of retarded bombs, Allo III gunship firing, breaking of the soundbarrier, etc.

See www.SAairforce.co.za for airshow reports and photos of previous fly-ins.

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 14:42
So sad, I used to live there for 12 years, and my work schedule has always precluded me from attending one. This year it seems a good possibility.....finally

6th Nov 2005, 06:57
It will be great seeing a Tornado display in South Africa. Also, according to Air News Africa there will be a full "squadron" from Thunder City consisting of Lightnings, Buccaneers and Hunters flying at the show. It was the Tornado that replaced the Buccaneer in the RAF, which all adds to the flavour making the fly-in more unique.

Erte
7th Nov 2005, 00:41
What airshow is this you're talking about? Sounds great!!! Any more info, where, when ect......

Gunship
7th Nov 2005, 04:32
Erte it is more of a fly - in than an airshow. The airshow is normally very small. It is 25 - 27 November @ AFB Overberg / TFDC . Roughly 2-3 hrs drive from Cape Town.

I think I might attend this year - just love the area and it's people :ok:

Gunship
7th Nov 2005, 06:38
There seems to be a problem with their link but here it is :

http://www.tfdc.co.za/Flyin/flymain.htm

TFDC Web Page (http://www.tfdc.co.za)

8th Nov 2005, 14:22
Get a load of this... from the Thunder City web page. I wonder if the Tornado is going to compete with the Lightning???

Thunder City – News Items June 2005

Thunder City English Electric Lightning Jet Time-to Altitude Record Attempt

Thunder City will attempt to establish a new all-Africa record for the fastest climb by an aircraft from a standing start on the runway to a given altitude using the famous Cold War supersonic interceptor, the English Electric Lightning

There will be two attempts; the first on 26 November 2005 during an Air Show/Fly-in at the South African Air Force base near Bredasdorp where the objective will be to reach 6000m (19800ft) in well under 60 seconds. The second attempt will be on 3 December 2005 at the South African Air Force Ysterplaats Air Show in the heart of Cape Town where the target will be to reach 9000m (29800ft) also in less than 60 seconds from a standing start.

Dave Stock, Thunder City’s test pilot, will be at the controls of the Lightning and well known British businessman, John Caudwell, will be in the right hand seat as crew for the 9000m attempt.

John, who is a qualified pilot, bought the privilege at a dinner auction for the Caudwell Charitable Trust for £9,000.

The Lightning will develop 36,000 lbs of thrust whilst burning 500 litres per minute of top quality Shell Jet A1 fuel. Dave will lift the aircraft off the runway at 160 knots (About 300 kilometres per hour) then accelerate rapidly to 600 knots (1116 kph) (Mach.95) before pointing the aircraft almost straight up to maximise the rate of climb. The first and most spectacular part of the climb will be clearly visible to spectators on the ground.

The Lightning is one of only four flying in the world, all belong to Cape Town based Thunder City.

The particular aircraft, a two seat Lightning T5, doing the record attempt is specially prepared for the flight and will have its external fuel tank removed to reduce weight.

This means that in full power with the afterburners aflame the aircraft will have only 5 minutes endurance.

On takeoff the jet will be producing above 36000 lbs of thrust (about 60 000 horsepower or equivalent to 75 formula one cars) –so spectators are advised to cover their ears!

All of the Thunder City jet types will be on display - Mike Beachy Head, CEO and owner of Thunder City will be flying the Lightning and Buccaneer solo display with Ian Pringle and Robbie Robinson doing the Hawker Hunter and Buccaneer formation flights preceding the solos.