PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair to Turkey?

no sig
3rd Nov 2005, 10:56
I have heard about the advertisments at PIK, anyone know the destination/s? Checked their website but couldn't see any news on it.

Hansol
3rd Nov 2005, 12:02
Are you sure the adverts don't refer to the bird you eat at xmas?

smith
3rd Nov 2005, 12:57
The advert on the rail link bridge at PIK just says "New for 2006, Turkey" it doesn't say Ryanair! It is in fact a weekly charter flight for the summer season next year and it is not operated by Ryanair.

no sig
4th Nov 2005, 16:28
Hansol, I know for sure they have been exploring the possibility so I am not confused with their Christmas dinner.

Smith, thank you for clearing that PIK advert issue up, perhaps it was wishful thinking on my friends part who told me about it. Do you know who the operator is?

WHBM
4th Nov 2005, 17:56
Am I right that Ryanair, an Irish company, would have difficulty getting licences for a route from the UK to a destination outside the European Community like Turkey. Inside the EC is fine, any other EC-based carrier can do what they like. Going outside is back to the old days of route licences.

Runway 31
4th Nov 2005, 18:30
The tour operator is Scottravel and I believe that Freebird will be flying A320's to Dalaman.

dwlpl
4th Nov 2005, 20:48
I think you maybe correct re the EC.

But Turkey have now got over the final objection (for them being voted in) from Austria (?) so all is set for them to join the EC.

The joining date will be the trigger for new routes into the country to be started.

Golf Charlie Charlie
4th Nov 2005, 22:09
OK, dwlpl, but Turkey's accession to the EU could be 5 to 10 years away at least, so it's a bit premature....... I guess they could get some associate member agreement, but I think even that's a few years off.

charterguy
4th Nov 2005, 22:30
If I remember right Ryanair bought Buzz to obtain a UK AOC which would allow them to fly to Turkey. However, anything longer than 2.5 hours doesn't fit really into their loco model.

Anyone know if the Buzz AOC is still live ?

CG

Hansol
7th Nov 2005, 06:57
Turkey is far too far to fit the FR model from PIK, remember aircraft utilisation is everything.

no sig
7th Nov 2005, 12:14
Likely as not that is the case Hansol, but I do know they have been considering Istanbul Sabia Goçken Aŭrport in the recent past from the DUB and London area.