PDA

View Full Version : initial MOD Office interview.

hekokimushi
3rd Nov 2005, 10:20
Hi guys and gals.

Just about to send of my form for RN pilot.
I am 24, hold a JAA-PPL, BEng (Hons)... Is there anything that i should pay paticular attention to for the forthcoming interview?

i was told i'm 1 year too old for the RAF. damn. missed them.

cheers

nc

UberPilot
3rd Nov 2005, 10:32
Didn't the RN bring their age limits in line with the Master Service? i.e. 23 6 is now the max age for Pilot (to be in training by)??

Data-Lynx
3rd Nov 2005, 10:35
You'll need a more positive reason to join the Fleet Air Arm and slight less regret that you couldn't get into the RAF.
There are likely to be a few 'crusty' questions about the RN. So prepare your interpretation of what the RN and the FAA are doing. Do you want to fly at sea? Do you have a longer term urge to fly the Joint Strike Fighter off the carriers? What aircraft do you want to fly in the mean time and why? How long do you want to serve the RN? It's common sense stuff so good luck.

Taffer
3rd Nov 2005, 11:26
I believe the new lower age limits for FAA applicants comes into force next year, so there's still time to apply - just.

The initial chat at the careers office is very informal, and is a chance for you to ask any questions. As Data-Lynx said, very common sense stuff.

Seems you might need to question your motivation for joining though - are you intending to do this for 8 years, then hop over to the airlines, or are you wanting this to be your career? You need to be fully prepared to serve as an officer first, aircrew second. You might not even end up as aircrew........

As for your application, your PPL and degree don't really matter too much; it's the skills and abilities you developed while studying for them that they'll be more interested in.

Good luck, and try to get your application through as speedily as possible.

hekokimushi
3rd Nov 2005, 15:24
Just a quick one.
what aircrafts does the RN have?
no ME right? and mostly harriers? please fill me in, very appreciated.

cheers
nc

teeteringhead
3rd Nov 2005, 15:27
Oh dear ........:rolleyes:

Training Risky
3rd Nov 2005, 15:30
Delighted to help old boy.

If you want to fly fast jets in the navy, you'll end up flying RAF Harrier GR7/9 at RAF Cottesmore.... over Afghanistan!

Yes those carriers look useful now don't they?:E

Hummingfrog
3rd Nov 2005, 15:46
Data-Lynx

The guy's 24 so he shouldn't be too bothered about the carrier/JSF question as he will be retired before they get into service:)

HF

UberPilot
3rd Nov 2005, 15:53
Just a quick one.
no ME right? and mostly harriers? please fill me in, very appreciated.

Surely this is a piss take?

Vous et Anglais?

Data-Lynx
3rd Nov 2005, 15:54
hekoki-mushi (http://www.okabe.org/toru/toru_MIT_www/h.html). You have a curious handle but, trusting that you aren't a shape-shifter, try this RN site (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/145.html). For your entry, Training Risky is correct about front-line Fixed Wing options but it is a line that their Lordships have committed to keeping open. Multi options are all helicopters.

AllTrimDoubt
3rd Nov 2005, 21:43
"Just a quick one.
no ME right? and mostly harriers? please fill me in, very appreciated."

You have to ask? No hope I fear!

Roadster280
3rd Nov 2005, 22:21
All together now..... "WTF!!!"

Finally, some tri-service agreement that this hapless t*** is on a hiding to nothing.

"I'd like to join your company. What is it you do again?"

"You do it where.......? On a ship?"

"Bejeeezus"

"Can I have a go anyway?"

Still, should provide some light relief for the board members...

Runaway Gun
4th Nov 2005, 13:44
You might want to brush up on your punctuation, or at least the use of the 'SHIFT' key on your keyboard.

Oh I do hope that I haven't produced any typographical errors now.... ;)