PDA

View Full Version : Another (B747) addition to Rand

wheelbay
3rd Nov 2005, 07:37
This time I hope they land on the weekend

Aircraft is formally donated to SAA Museum; To be ferried to Rand by years end.

ZS-SPC (msn 21134) was officially donated to the SAA Museum on November 1 and plans are proceeding to prepare the aircraft for a ferry flight to Rand Airport.

"The technical section will begin working on the aircraft next week," says Richard Hunt, Vice Chairman of the SAA Historical Society. "Once they start we should get a better idea on the time they will need to fix the few small snags that have crept in over the last two years."

The plane has been maintained in a flyable condition since being retired, and the mechanical review should proceed quickly according to Hunt.

"I have initially planned the crew training flight to take place on the 26th November," says Hunt. "We are hoping to do the ferry to Rand a few days later."

The plane was delivered new to SAA in June, 1976, and was one six SPs purchased by the airline. Over it's lifetime it was leased to Air Mauritius, Avia, and Air Namibia.

ZS-SPC was retired from the SAA fleet in late 2003 and has been parked at Jan Smuts Airport since that time.

http://www.747sp.com/NewsDetail.asp?id=39

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 07:58
I just wonder where the rest of us with not-quite-yet-ready-for-the-museum-aircraft are going to be parked??

MysticFlyer
3rd Nov 2005, 08:19
Is your surname perhaps Du Plessis?

Yes, you see, the tower will first be flattened....then phase 2 will be to flatten the "Le Piston" - or whatever the bad managed place is,

.....then the runways will be moved - west....or was it east, wait....hang on.....

"Phineas, bring vi di bass daardie ander planne wat djy nourie-dag gateken het, jebo baba, daries...., Maak gou, daar's anner bob'jaan opie lyn....!"

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 08:27
Sorry Mr. Mystic, methinks you barking up the wrong tree. :}
Shame, Im glad im not who you think I am, cause he must'a done a whole lotta wrong in his life.

MysticFlyer
3rd Nov 2005, 09:19
No, but he also liked to shoot from the hip with a water-pistol while being surrounded by one canon.

Ha, ha, he even wore a barred tunic representing the fact that he was Ops Manager(?), he without a PPL....but that's also another thread...

Question
In your posting about hour's on type, you state.. "we" were discussing....?

A ha! Figured it out!

You must be the a node then, and you're the mother-/main brain. I.R. is a conundrum, pirate should be replaced by baboon....

It all thus spells:
R-tificial. - Intelligence. - Blêrrie-Aap-Bouncing-On-Our-Network

Ok, Ok I apologise, didn't really mean it, and I won't say it again. Peace?;)

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 09:42
Busted.... " WE " are always coming in peace.....

I appreciated your decyphering of our code, and you are right, it Is OUR network......:suspect:

Still pmsl though.!!:p

Just one question...there seems to be some parts of our previous discussions missing....whats going on in the matrix?

starliner
30th Nov 2005, 02:45
Any ETA info for B747 SP reported to be moving to Rand on 1 December

Gauteng Pilot
30th Nov 2005, 06:14
There has apparently been a paperwork delay

Ill dig up the links to 2 threads on this

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2422216/

Gunship
30th Nov 2005, 15:38
HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121600&highlight=%2ARand+Airport%2A) is the previous thread on the magnificent landing done by Capt Dennis Spence and crew with "Lebombo" :ok:

Long live these great machines :ok:

Gunship
30th Nov 2005, 16:49
EDIT to add that this was on 5 March 2004.

Any idea who will do it this time ?

sunkist
30th Nov 2005, 20:57
Gunns,
Same pilots, but this time Stew Lithgow will be in the left seat doing the landing.
To fly is human, but to hover is devine.
Regards.