PDA

View Full Version : NTL Cable - which wireless router?

Dee747
2nd Nov 2005, 21:17
My father wants to connect his two PCs using a wirelss router, which should be relatively straightforward (I've done it myself at home with four PCs and laptops). Problem is that he is on NTL cable, fed into a rebranded NTL cable broadband modem. As the cable isn't finished with an RJ-45 fitting, does anyone have any knowledge of replacing this modem with a suitably spec'd wireless router?

Does he have to resort to NTL to resolve this one by buying one of their own routers? If not, can anyone who has gone through this particular situation personally recommend any other brand/model of wireless router capable of taking his cable fitting, and which can be installed by me, without causing any kind of system conflict with his NTL service?

He has his TV digibox downstairs in the living room with a cable (presumably coming from it?) fed upstairs into his spare bedroom. This was done by an NTL engineer, and is currently all working fine.

rickity
2nd Nov 2005, 21:39
Dee747

You cant replace the cable modem with a router they do subtlely different things, however you should have a RJ45 connector on the modem which you can connect a router to and then connect PC 's by wireless or ethernet cable.

If you have already got the PC on the modem I found the easiest way with NTL is to spoof the mac address of the router to that of the current PC, saves all that broadband medic rubbish the NTL like you to install. If you need to know about how to do that ask here.

I use a linksys wireless router on NTL to about 3 desktops and 3 wirelss PC's ( when all the students are home) and no complaints.

Rickity

Dee747
2nd Nov 2005, 22:09
Many thanks Rickity.

I must confess I haven't actually looked at the back of the modem - I suppose it makes sense to have an RJ-45 socket on it. Presumably on that basis any standard ADSL Router would suffice? I use a 3Com model which is excellent for my Virgin.net connection.

rickity
2nd Nov 2005, 22:56
Dee

An ADSL router may not be your answer as its actually a router and ADSL modem combined, you need a standard router with an ethernet output to go into the cable modem.

Something like this http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1126536698937&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Rickity

Bahn-Jeaux
3rd Nov 2005, 09:39
I have the Actiontec bundle and have installed it on 3 different systems now.

It is extremely simple so you dont have to be too technically minded to install and there is a full walk through installation CD for the PC illiterati just in case.

The only time I needed the drivers off the CD was for the installation of the USB network card for the second PC.

XP recognised the router immediatley and I didnt have to install any secondary software for it to operate.

You can install this via USB but for best results, you should use the RJ-45 connection which should be on the back of yoyr modem.

What modem is it exactly your father has, mine for instance is a Motorola surfboard but I was not aware of a rebranded NTL version of any.

Dee747
3rd Nov 2005, 13:44
Sorry Bahn-Jeaux, I can't tell until I see it for myself on Sunday. I did speak with him this morning though, and it does appear to have an RJ-45 port on the back of it, so following rickity's advice would appear prudent. I appreciate the comment he made about buying a router as opposed to an ADSL modem/router - subtle difference there.

Once the blatantly obvious is pointed out to you, it becomes, well ........ blatantly obvious really!!:uhoh: