PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham City Council does not recognise Christmas !

Astrodome
2nd Nov 2005, 20:03
I came across a copy of a leaflet issued by Birmingham City Council Regulatory Services today.

It includes a calendar covering the year Nov 2005 to Oct 2006.

Looking at the calendar I was surprised that there was no reference to Christmas on the calendar, nor even any marking made against Christmas or Boxing day.

I do note however that religious festivals of Diwali, and Eid are mentioned, as is the winter solstice (a pagan festival).

Easter gets a mention but not August Bank Holiday.

One presumes therefore that Christmas as a religious festival does not exist in Birmingham ?

WorkingHard
2nd Nov 2005, 20:26
This is still predominantely a CHRISTIAN country which is extremely tolerant of other religions. This political correctness has gone too far and someday we shall all reap the rewards of allowing the bloody minded (perhaps that should be mindless) petty dictatorlike officials to impose this crap.

chiglet
2nd Nov 2005, 21:52
Read in a paper today that "Lambeth" a part of LONDON are now having "Winter Lights" instead of Christmas Lights :mad:
We are NOT a predominately Christian Country the last time I looked....:confused:
WE ARE A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY with "Ethnic Minorities" living here, MOST of whom integrate with the indigenous population... i.e. US .
I live in another country/culture I obey their rules/customs.. just what is difficult in "vice-versa"
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

flapsforty
2nd Nov 2005, 22:00
Do we really have to do this selfsame thread with the selfsame trite & tired posts EVERY b****y Christmas?

<SIGH>

MMEMatty
2nd Nov 2005, 22:07
It's not just every Christmas Flaps.....it seems to be every other week nowadays.

I guess (assuming that these reports are accurate, which they rarely are) if the Churches were as packed full as the Mosques etc. then Christian festivals may actually still appear on calendars etc.

But if the majority of people dont go to church, dont really care about their religion, then i guess it would be fair to say that it shouldnt appear on calendars. At least Eid / Diwali etc are celebrated - when was the last time you went to church on Christmas / Easter?

I dont go to church, but there again i dont get angry by reports from the "Anti-PC Brigade" of such great slurs on our National Conscience.

Matty

tony draper
2nd Nov 2005, 22:14
Shhhhh!!! nobody mention Christmas. :uhoh:
:E

tilewood
2nd Nov 2005, 22:18
Flapsforty

You must not say 'Christmas' any more it offends our
multi-cultural, ethnically varied, rainbow coalition of a country.

We are no longer allowed to be Christian, we must say
'Winterval'

There, is that agreeable to the thought police? :confused:

And apparently some of the designs for our Christmas postage
stamps offends the sensibilities of the Sikhs.

Would the person who last saw Britain's backbone please let us know where it is!

Jerricho
2nd Nov 2005, 22:27
Would the person who last saw Britain's backbone please let us know where it is!

Wait wait!!! I have it here.

It's in a box with common sense, responsibility, dignity and some soap :E:E

oscarh
2nd Nov 2005, 22:41
Yes Flaps, we do. Perhaps YOU do not understand..........."bloody" Christmas indeed!

SilsoeSid
2nd Nov 2005, 22:44
Astrodome,

There is no problem with Christianity on the Birmingham CC (http://www.birmingham.gov.uk) website, so I for one find this interesting. Any chance of a scan?
At least for now it is still called BirmingHAM!

Careful mate, you could be seen as inciting something!!

:suspect:

Could we have a similar thread at Easter please?

Flypuppy
2nd Nov 2005, 22:57
Perhaps YOU do not understand

Are you really that insecure in your beliefs?

Why is it that this sort of borderline racist rant seems to eminate from the same group of people?

Funny thing is many of our Christmas traditions were celebrated centuries before Christ was born. The 12 days of Christmas, the bright fires, the yule log, the giving of gifts, carnivals(parades) with floats, carolers who sing while going from house to house, the holiday feasts, and the church processions can all be traced back to the early Mesopotamians. Historians and religious scholars believe Christ was born in September, but the exact date has never been pinpointed.

Some legends claim that the Christian "Christmas" celebration was invented to compete against the pagan celebrations of Saturnalia which were also in December. The 25th was not only sacred to the Romans but also the Persians whose religion Mithraism was one of Christianity's main rivals at that time. The Church eventually was successful in taking the merriment, lights, and gifts from the Saturanilia festival and bringing them to the celebration of Christmas.

Anyway, why does Christmas need to be on a calendar? We are bombarded with enough adverts on tv and decorations in the streets to remind us when Christmas is.

Whirlygig
2nd Nov 2005, 23:04
Having spent a fair amount of time working with Councils (that's with not for!), I would suggest it's got nowt to do with political correctness and more to do with incompetency otherwise why include Easter and omit August Bank Holiday (which is not a religious festival)?

Cheers

Whirls

oscarh
3rd Nov 2005, 00:58
Flypuppy, no, I am not insecure in my beliefs, neither have I made a "borderline racist rant", nor any other rant for that matter and neither am I a member of "the same group of people" as you aver.

I merely make the observation that I, like many others, Christian or not, get thoroughly fed up with the dilution of what used to be the traditional way of life in the country of my birth by either petty officials or smart arses like you who seem to be hellbent in attempting to undermine the traditional values of me and most of my fellow countrymen. Birmingham is, after all, part of Great Britain, a Christian country where the Head of State is also the Defender of the Faith.

Should others care to practise their faith in Great Britain, they are free to do so. Such is the freedom enjoyed by all citizens in our country and long may we all enjoy those freedoms.

Blacksheep
3rd Nov 2005, 03:51
Do we really have to do this selfsame thread with the selfsame trite & tired posts EVERY b****y Christmas?Christmas? It isn't Christmas again is it?

I thought we were just coming up to Bonfire Night when religiously tolerant Protestants can burn Roman Catholics in effigy and generally have a jolly time eating roast potatoes and setting fire to the children.

ORAC
3rd Nov 2005, 04:02
Ah yes, Guy Fawkes. I see they have worked out he had twice the explosives required, Westminster would have been blown to smithereens. Another opportunity wasted......... :(

B Fraser
3rd Nov 2005, 05:15
Never mind Christmas, Easter has been cancelled. They have just found the body :}

same old drill......hat, coat, door etc.

ORAC
3rd Nov 2005, 05:29
Tony Blair decided he wanted to be buried in the Holy Land, so he asked the FO to ask how much a tomb would cost. A few days later an official came to see him and explained the cost would be a million pounds.

"That“s bl**dy extortionate!", exploded Tony, "A million pounds, for just 3 days!"

Huck
3rd Nov 2005, 05:45

"I liked the old, mean Britain. Because it was a just, old, mean Britain...." - M. Savage.

Loose rivets
3rd Nov 2005, 06:17
Get thanksgiving over, and I can start sliming for Christmas :)

Flying Lawyer
3rd Nov 2005, 06:32
Whether or not Jesus was actually born on the 25th December is wholly irrelevant IMHO. It is well-established as the day on which Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus - Christmas Day.

Concerns about historical accuracy are no part of the motives of the "politically-correct" extremists behind this sort of absurd, and in my view offensive, action.

eal401
3rd Nov 2005, 06:42
I'm never sure how much of a scam these sort of reports are. Similar to showing a St George's Flag during World Cup time (or similar).

Notwithstanding the truth, one thing remains accurate.

If you personally find any element of the country you are inhabiting offensive, be it religious festivals, national flags or whatever then leave. Go somewhere you are happy with.

Note how I do not identify any country or religion.

ORAC
3rd Nov 2005, 06:49
Winter Lights (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4398680.stm)

Wingswinger
3rd Nov 2005, 06:52
For goodness sake, stop whingeing about PC councils, government and their offensive idiocies. If you really don't like it, gather some like-minded people together and get out there and DO something. Let them know that YOU are offended by THEIR actions and attitudes.

You never know, it might just catch on.

Flypuppy
3rd Nov 2005, 07:46
I merely make the observation that I, like many others, Christian or not, get thoroughly fed up with the dilution of what used to be the traditional way of life in the country of my birth by either petty officials or smart arses like you who seem to be hellbent in attempting to undermine the traditional values of me and most of my fellow countrymen.

oscarh, don't take this the wrong way but I am a little curious to what you regard as being the traditional values that you see being diluted.

With this sort of story (brought to us by Astrodome - which immediately makes me suspicious) I am more inclined to go for the cock up theory than the idea that a city council would deliberately wipe out Christian celebrations. It does, however, give the Daily Mail something to write about.

Personally, I go to church whenever I can and always make a point of going to church for the Watchnight service, then again I regard the Easter service as being much more important - but that is just my belief I suppose.

Frankly, I do not understand why people get so hot under the collar about this sort of thing. I am comfortable and secure in my beliefs and just because Birmingham City Council didn't include Christmas in a calendar on some obscure leaflet I really cannot take that a serious threat to all Chrisendom.

If it upsets you so much then you can contact the council by mail and register your outrage at their absurd and offensive behaviour.

The address is:
Birmingham City Council
The Council House
Victoria Square
Birmingham
UK
B1 1BB

or by telephone:
0121 303 9944

or by email: [email protected]

tony draper
3rd Nov 2005, 08:47
Good grief,you chaps don't expect the fact that this country has only been Christian for the last one thousand five hundred years,and only became the established religion of the land as recently as just 500 years ago, to give you some kind of say do you? you are being unreasonable

reporting ministry of truth; bb dayorder doubleplusungood refs Christianity rewrite history fullwise upsub antefiling

:rolleyes:

Stafford
3rd Nov 2005, 09:55
Lots of instinctive, emotive reactions to these legends/stories. Anyway, if true, the pc bullies are just playing into the hands of the racists on both sides of the argument and ultimately it will be the ethnic minorities who do suffer.

The silent majority are just that, but I suspect they are increasingly sick of this kind of social engineering indulged in by poor quality councillors, social workers and petty bureaucrats who can do nothing substantive in their meaningless, New Labour/ Guardian invented jobs, or inadequate lives.

tony draper
3rd Nov 2005, 10:12
Thats exactly what most thinking people have been saying for years, political correstness has exactly the opposit effect to that which was intended.
Tolerance cannot be legislated for, it has to be learned, it also has to be earned.

Lon More
3rd Nov 2005, 10:12
Thread creep
What happened to the Levis Mr. D.?
Shrink in the wash?

Leftpedal
3rd Nov 2005, 11:56
Birmingham City Council incompetent ? Perhaps the one amongst us who has never sinned should cast the first stone....

Or maybe we should forgive them for they know not what they do ....

frostbite
3rd Nov 2005, 12:01
"Get thanksgiving over, and I can start sliming for Christmas"

Some sort of snail, LR?

Astrodome
3rd Nov 2005, 19:50
brought to us by Astrodome - which immediately makes me suspicious Your point being exactly ????

pigboat
3rd Nov 2005, 21:14
Guy Fawkes. The only man ever to enter Parliament with honest intentions.

tony draper
3rd Nov 2005, 22:04
Yup, and he certainly walked taller when they had finished with him.

:E

1DC
4th Nov 2005, 11:23
Something on the news this morning about a museum somewhere down south changing the dates on some of the old stuff from BC to BP. Apparantly BC isn't considered appropriate now due to the current ethnic make up of the population and BP has been substituted.BP apparantly stands for "Before Present"..
April 1st. hasn't come early has it??

tony draper
4th Nov 2005, 11:59
BP has been used by science for many years,BC and AD being a tad imprecise as Jesus apparently died forty years before he was born, or was it tother way round.

ORAC
4th Nov 2005, 12:04
The actual terms are CE (Common or Current Era) and BCE (Before CE, normally abbreviated to BC). Thus AD/BC = CE/BC.

They“ve been in use worldwide for a long time.

Burnt Fishtrousers
4th Nov 2005, 16:15
The increase in Political correctness is directly proportional to the increase in public sector appointments found in the Guardian.

I can see the advert in the Gruniad now...

"Insert as necessary" Council are looking for a Community Unification and Negotiation Technician whose role will be alienatation of the entire populace with your self opinionated and uninformed views.

Applicants will be un motivated, have an inflated sense of their own importance and egos of a dictator in implementation of such crass policies. You will display exceptional skills at having a total lack of intellect and aspire to mediocraty in all areas. In other arenas you may be considered "slightly odd" .Previous experience in Local Politics would be a great advantage but not absolutely necessary.

Salary £100K /year + annual Bicycle allowance of 25K /year ( bicycle clips not included)

Apply
Personnel Dept
No 1 The "Peter Tatchell" Wing
Nelson Mandella House
Islington
EC1

Astrodome
4th Nov 2005, 16:44
I can think of a number of people on here who would fit the job splendidly !!

:) :) ;) :ok: :ok: