PDA

View Full Version : Do you normally wrestle with the yoke like this ?

anengineer
2nd Nov 2005, 19:32
Just browsing the videos on Flightlevel350.com and found this one of an MD82 landing... http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=4611

The latter half of the video shows the captain making some rather large movements of the controls. Is it usual to 'wrestle' with it like this, or maybe it was just a blustery day ?

Just curious !

paddyboy
2nd Nov 2005, 19:58
Nothing out of the ordinary.

Bit of a crosswind from the left but a reasonably normal set of inputs.

The Greaser
2nd Nov 2005, 20:11
For an MD-80 maybe, for a Boeing, in my experience the aircraft would be all over the sky if you fly it like a puppet on a string.

3 Point
2nd Nov 2005, 20:44
Good grief! Guy needs to get an Airbus; I'd be knackered after that:)

411A
2nd Nov 2005, 21:15
No show on the video but, in past (and present) transport jet aircraft, the flying pilot uses all necessary control inputs to assure an accurate flight path.
Ergo, use what is necessary because that is all you have available, except differential engine thrust...useful on many occasions with wing mounted engines.

Sometimes a bit tiring, yes, but that is what the respective pilot is paid the big(er) bucks for.

Occasionally, not a bed of roses.:ugh:

Why are we not surprised.:E

retiredandloveit
2nd Nov 2005, 22:21
I'm not a professional (0r even a limited amateur - having some VERY limited flying experience). But just what do you expect these people to do.... put their hands above their heads and hope for the best. Surely this is the skill of flying demonstrted
? I for one am envious and appreciative!!

Avman
2nd Nov 2005, 22:27
I remember being up front in a Viscount on a Liverpool-Belfast newspaper flight in the early seventies. We landed with a gusting 25-35 knot (approx) crosswind and I was totally astounded at the "wrestling match" I witnessed. If I'd seen it in a movie I would have dismissed it as pure exaggeration. Oh, and the landing itself was an absolute peach.

slingsby
3rd Nov 2005, 05:20
411A, you're not in OMSJ now are you.

411A
4th Nov 2005, 02:33
Slingsby...

Ah, no, not at the moment.
No immediate plans either, unless they raise the ante.
Doubtful about that, however.
The reputation of some folks there is very well known.:}

haughtney1
5th Nov 2005, 10:56
Agree with 411 on this (there is a first time for most things!:) ) have to say though..he looked VERY relaxed till about the 10 feet call...then I detected a little tension:D
Also perhaps the MD82 has a large null zone in the ailerons at low speed?

Scando
10th Nov 2005, 17:06
Quite normal for the MD-80. Ailerons and elevators are controlled by tabs only, you move the control wheel and they move the tabs. The tabs in turn move the surfaces aerodynamically (they "fly" the surfaces). This translates to quite large and positive control inputs especially in gusty conditions.

After years of flying the MD, I almost turned the 737 upside down the first time I flew it.

bigmanatc
15th Nov 2005, 17:57
Experienced something similar from the jump seat in a B737 into FACT ....RWY 17 at night with a wind of 150/40.....it turned out an excellent landing....can`t remember the skippers(pf) name though....
Next morning I took a P28A out of there....shortest take-off run ever..!

stilton
15th Nov 2005, 18:39
As scando said, quite normal for the -80, with unpowered
controls it requires a lot of input, if you look out the window, you will notice that the actual flight path of the aircraft is quite stable.

I flew the -80 after the 727 and found it a major dissapointment in many respects, handling being a big one.

Trentino
15th Nov 2005, 19:29
Having jumpseat a bit on the Md-80's I must say I have not seen a landing yet that didnt look like an armed struggle with the yoke. Most of my JS landings where in WXR that was clear and calm. (8kts) It must be the fly by cable design.
My friends and I have joked in the past about how straight the Md-80 flew with all that input!