PDA

View Full Version : Highest altitude reached in a helicopter ?

goose boy
2nd Nov 2005, 16:21
Just been reading a claim that the highest altitude reached in a Helicopter is 12,442ft

As always I stand to be corrected, but didn’t the Eurocopter AS350 B3 reach the top of Mount Everest at an altitude of about 29,000 last year.

Maybe the site is dated, can anyone confirm the above or am I getting confused again.

Above Datums
2nd Nov 2005, 16:48
Goose Boy

Yor correct a Eurocopter DID land on Everest. I thought it was early this year though.

Just to be anal Everest is actually 29,028ft :O (Or 29,035 depending where you look)

AD

Heliport
2nd Nov 2005, 16:59
Link Eurocopter on Everest (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176079)

BigMike
2nd Nov 2005, 17:00
Yes a B3 Squirrel did land on the top of Everest, until the French were told they were in the S**t for not having permission, then suddenly claimed it had all been a funny mistake, and they actually landed somewhere else.... The video of them landing on a mountain that looked remarkably like Everest, but couldn't have been could it? used to be on the Eurocopter site...

Dohh! Heliport just beat me to it, by 1 minute! Gotta type faster..

ATN
2nd Nov 2005, 20:03
goose boy,

the altitude you are referring to has been reached by a SA 315B Lama s/n 002 flown by Jean Boulet, Aerospatiale chief pilot, in 1972. Plexi replaced by plywood, battery removed, 85 liters in the tank, descent all the way down in auto.

Cheers

ATN

goose,

I forgot to mention the altitude is in meters.

ATN