PDA

View Full Version : Restore\temp files

TD&H
2nd Nov 2005, 15:48
Whenever I do a virus scan McAfee spends half it time scanning files 'C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A00xxxxxx.CPY', (edit to ask, how did that funny face get in there?)

And each time there seems to be yet more of them. Should I get rid of them? If so how?

I use AOL for online services with zonealarm firewall. And, yes! most of my online time nowadays seems to be on Pprune!

I did a search in this area, but couldn't seem to find anything relevant, forgive me if I missed something obvious. Must admit I could do with my 'puter being given a 'wellcomputer check'.

Thanks, H

P.S. Please be gentle with me, I'm a bear of little brain.

E-Liam
20th Nov 2005, 18:36
Hi H,

these are your System Restore files. They are used to reset your operating system to a previous date, should you have a disaster such as a virus destroying you system. You can egt rid of them, but I wouldn't advise it.

If it's purely down to scanning time, scan when you're not using the machine for anything else.. :)

Cheers

Liam

BOAC
20th Nov 2005, 19:06
Not familiar with McAfee, but look for a'selective scan' setting, select all folders then unclick the 'restore' folder (unless you want it checked, of course!)

The :\ you see comes because : \ is the Bulletin Board code for :\. If you want to avoid that, space out the : and \ as I did.

'C: \RESTORE\TEMP\A00xxxxxx.CPY'

Jhieminga
21st Nov 2005, 07:48
(or click 'disable smilies in this post' below the space where you're typing this ;) )