PDA

View Full Version : Socks- a philosophical question

panda-k-bear
2nd Nov 2005, 12:48
Now you see, yesterday evening I was watching a video (remember those?) of an old episode of Blackadder (Blackadder III as it happens). During that episode, it was stated that the Prince Regentís annual sock budget was of the order 56 thousand pounds or some such Ė the in-joke being that Blackadder was, naturally enough, siphoning off large amounts of cash by stealing one sock from each pair and pocketing vast amounts of dough from the sock budget.

Well, that set me thinking;
1) They donít make Ďem like that any more.
2) More to the point, where do all my odd socks disappear to and why do I therefore have to spend money replacing them. Itís not like I have a Blackadder all of my own.

So where DO they all go?

Farmer 1
2nd Nov 2005, 12:50
They change into wire coat hangers. I thought everyone knew that.

Blacksheep
3rd Nov 2005, 01:57
Not many people know this, but pairs of socks consist of one positively and one negatively charged sock. Negatively charged socks have an affinity for spin dryer spindles. Positively charged socks are neutralised by contact with ladies underwear. Thus, if socks are combined with other items in the laundry, the negative sock migrates to the spin drier spindle and the remaining positive sock is neutralised by the ladies underwear.

maggioneato
3rd Nov 2005, 07:53
Thus, if socks are combined with other items in the laundry, the negative sock migrates to the spin drier spindle and the remaining positive sock is neutralised by the ladies underwear.

Good theory Blacksheep, but no way do I wash my nice undies with hubby's socks. I buy all his socks the same, so eventually we end up with even pairs. :=

panda-k-bear
3rd Nov 2005, 08:17
mags, now that is cunning. Shows why I should always let the Mrs buy the socks - no bloke could have thought of that!

AerBabe
3rd Nov 2005, 10:48
And a question I have asked here before:

Why does it feel sooo good to put hot socks on? But ... it feels equally good to take hot socks off. :confused:

tony draper
3rd Nov 2005, 11:21
Why aren't socks like gloves? yer know with separate fingers, or toers as they would prolly have been called if they had ever been invented?
Modern thermal socks are good, one is puzzled as to how exactly they function, smacks of getting something for nothing which is a no no to us wot knows stuff about physics,perchance the wool stuff is soaked in plutonium or summat.
:cool:

Bre901
3rd Nov 2005, 11:51
Why aren't socks like gloves? yer know with separate fingers, or toers as they would prolly have been called if they had ever been invented?I used to have a pair of those a long time ago, they are long to put on and to remove and require wide shoes
(some visible here (http://expo.texweb.com/en/company/1730/product_en/3253.html) )

Windy Militant
3rd Nov 2005, 12:03
Modern thermal socks are good, one is puzzled as to how exactly they function, smacks of getting something for nothing which is a no no to us wot knows stuff about physics,perchance the wool stuff is soaked in plutonium or summat.

So that's what they're doing with a bunch of Woolly Backs over the fence at Harwell. I thought there had to be more to it than just annoying corporal Fang and his mates!:ok:

Hairy Mary
3rd Nov 2005, 16:40
They have been invented and they're not called "toers".
As you probably already know, a form of mitten has been invented that has fingers but they're not called fingerers, they're called gloves. Fingerers are something completely different, not unlike toers for the more adventurous. Muffs used to be common before mittens. Foot muffs have not yet been invented but you could easily achieve this my cutting the toe end off of one of your socks.

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 16:45
Just a question, if you cut off the front of one of your socks, surely it cant be a pair of muffs.....

Hairy Mary
3rd Nov 2005, 17:08
No, muffs only come in pairs unless they are ear muffs, but you couldn't use cut off socks for this purpose anyway unless you were a jackass.

Sorry, I meant muffs don\'t come in pairs unless they are ear muffs.

tony draper
3rd Nov 2005, 17:41
Woora bout a muff muff,? wouldn't they come in ones?
:rolleyes:

Farmer 1
3rd Nov 2005, 17:44
Can anybody remember muffin' the mule?

Hairy Mary
3rd Nov 2005, 18:09
Well, a muff muff would rightly be called a merkin.
A muff muff might sense the stigma attached to that moniker but it would doubtless be proud to be a merkin.

Farmer 1
3rd Nov 2005, 18:15
A muff muff? Sounds like a steam locomotive with a hare lip.

panda-k-bear
3rd Nov 2005, 19:36
Sorry, but I think that muffin the mule, or any other animal for that matter, is just depraved.

fmgc
3rd Nov 2005, 19:37
Can anybody remember muffin' the mule?

I am quite sure that is illeagal.

Farmer 1
3rd Nov 2005, 19:53
Yes, we know that, but can you remember doing it?