PDA

View Full Version : Blunkett

effortless
2nd Nov 2005, 10:22
Hey ho, he's gone!

Parapunter
2nd Nov 2005, 10:27
Sooner the rest of that shower follow him, the better.

My radio is covered in what can only be described as pebbledash, formed from encrusted meusli due to my daily swearing at various on message morons from the cabinet spouting utter twaddle on the Today program.

scubawasp
2nd Nov 2005, 10:33
Here here Parapunter!

tony draper
2nd Nov 2005, 10:34
Never mind, his pooch prolly still loves him, I do not doubt for one second that he will fall into a few nice little jobs somewhere, a few directorships consultancies ect,now that he is back just being a ordinary back bencher and has **** all to do all day.
:rolleyes:

Jordan D
2nd Nov 2005, 10:35
I bet he's regretting selling those shares now.

Jordan

SilentHandover
2nd Nov 2005, 10:36
Surely the dog was a ministerial privelage, it's back to a stick for Blunkett now.

The SSK
2nd Nov 2005, 10:37
I have a lot of time and admiration for blind folks who triumph over their handicap, having been associated with quite a few.

Unfortunately, I think he gives people like that a bad name.

Duckbutt
2nd Nov 2005, 10:40
Surely the dog was a ministerial privelage

Was it called Rover then?

Parapunter et all, are you seriously suggesting that this would change if the Tories (ever) get back in?

Remember how Thatch used to ignore the question asked to spout her own ramblings instead?

effortless
2nd Nov 2005, 10:43
I disliked him for, probably, the opposite reasons from most posters on JB. I made the mistake of assuming that he would be reasonable because he was blind. Silly me, he turned out to be somwhere to the right of Maggie Thatcher.

I remember an Auschwitz surviver chiding my mate TheFatPlumber.

"Ha, you think that just because I was in the camps I must be nice! Well you are wrong. I didn't survive by being nice."

Wycombe
2nd Nov 2005, 10:43
He has abused his position on occasions to numerous to mention and is a liability.

Let's hope it's for good this time!

fmgc
2nd Nov 2005, 10:44
He will get an EU Commission now, probably transport, and will come back to haunt us all!!

Stafford
2nd Nov 2005, 10:50
He was doomed the moment Princess Tony publicly "supported" him !

Good riddance to bad rubbish, the man was a liability like most of the current cabinet and trophy "Blair babes" and achieved nothing in any of his posts except to reveal yet another woolly "initiative" whenever the public caught on to that fact from his many gaffes and self inflicted wounds.

UL730
2nd Nov 2005, 10:57
I got 7/4 from William Hill that he would be out by the end of 2005.

Sadly the price is nothing like as good as the one that was available last December when you could have got 7/2 against him resigning as Home Secretary by the end of the year. Those were the more profitable days.

The really interesting money is now on when he will be back.

I reckon you'll probably get 5/1 but the date is the difficult punt.

Once a ghoul always a ghoul but hell .... it's only money.:(

Hanse Cronje
2nd Nov 2005, 11:39
Twice in how many months??? I second the point that the sooner the rest go the better.

G-CPTN
2nd Nov 2005, 11:46
>Headline 1st Nov: I am not resigning, says Blunkett
>Headline 2nd Nov: Blunkett resigns

You overlooked 'the full support of No 10 and the Prime Minister'. That REALLY seems to be the kiss of death (Tories too).

Parapunter
2nd Nov 2005, 11:47
Indeed Mr DB, that would be a naive point of view, but whilst no Tory, Thatch at least was effective. This lot are completely seduced by the artificial sheen of management methods, approaching government as a project instead of national husbandry. Our once great parliament is competely emasculated, targets are everywhere, eight years of education, education, education has produced a generation of illiterate bunking off horrors - no surprise really when only 1 in 6 of the education profession are teachers. Give me an ideology anyday!

tilewood
2nd Nov 2005, 11:51
Bliar's cabinet resembles the Magic Roundabout!

It adds to the gaiety of the nation! :D

G-CPTN
2nd Nov 2005, 11:51
The more New Labour adopts the clothes of the Old Tories, the more they seem indistinguishable.
Vote Lory!

Wedge
2nd Nov 2005, 12:26
The more I heard about this latest Blunkett debacle, the more I was of the view that this was yet another embarrassing gaffe that again called into question the judgment of this man.

If it was just this incident, he probably could have avoided resigning. In the context of all the others, it's the final nail in his political coffin. He's a liability, and Blair would be very unwise to give him another cabinet post.

G-CPTN
2nd Nov 2005, 12:33
>The more I heard about this latest Blunkett debacle, the more I was of the view that this was yet another embarrassing gaffe that again called into question the judgment of this man.

Blair?

paulc
2nd Nov 2005, 14:13
Expect to see Blunkett on the gravy train that is the EU. Does Mandy need an assistant ? .He has now passed the 'must have resigned from govt twice' test that is a pre-requisite for becoming a brussels 'bigwig'

Groundloop
2nd Nov 2005, 14:41
"In the Commons, Mr Blair told MPs that none of the allegations against Mr Blunkett warranted his dismissal under the ministerial code, saying: "I could discover no impropriety or wrongdoing."

The mistakes arose out of an "honest misunderstanding", he said, and Mr Blunkett had left office "with no stain of impropriety against him whatsoever". "

So, once again Tony shows he has absolutely no idea how ministers should behave. If a minister is incapable of following the simple rules governing his position, how are we supposed to respect them when they are trying to govern us?

airship
2nd Nov 2005, 15:06
These share-holdings we're talking about: I take it for granted that they had nothing at all to do with companies making and / or supplying stuff which involved planned or on-going legislation precipated by Mr. Blunkett's previous occupation/s? :confused:

How come I never get offered directorships? I can be blind, deaf and dumb, provided the price is right... :}

jammydonut
2nd Nov 2005, 15:06
Blair has to consider David on a par with Cherie

ShyTorque
2nd Nov 2005, 15:25
"Blair has to consider David on a par with Cherie"

In looks?

pulse1
2nd Nov 2005, 16:50
According to Politics Today on BBC2, Blunkett now qualifies for his second redundancy payment of 18,000. So that's 36,000 he's made out of his incompetence in the last year or so. That must make a few workers made redundant through no fault of their own feel quite good.

Biggles Flies Undone
2nd Nov 2005, 17:00
To get caught and binned once is not good. To get reinstated and then get caught again is sheer arrogance. Pretty much typifies the attitude of the current government :mad:

G-CPTN
2nd Nov 2005, 17:09
>To get reinstated and then get caught again is sheer arrogance. Pretty much typifies the attitude of the current government

Despite my politics (or maybe because of?) I'd say it's typical of POLITICIANS. To me, they are a breed apart . . . (and largely despicable IMHO).
They always seem to WANT something (rather than give something). Never trust a politician, especially one who seems honest - they're up to something.

egbt
2nd Nov 2005, 17:35
To get caught and binned once is not good. To get reinstated and then get caught again is sheer arrogance. Pretty much typifies the attitude of the current government
Got in one!
Let's hope it's for good this time! Exactly
Good riddance to the :mad:

UL730
2nd Nov 2005, 17:40
Remunerated employment, office, profession etc

Adviser to Indepen Consulting Limited, giving seminars on relationship between government and business. (15,001-20,000)

Adviser to ORT (Organisation for Research and Technology), an international charity, on educational and international relations matters. (15,001-20,000)

3 March 2005, fee for speech at Professional Assets Manager award ceremony (5,001-10,000). (Registered 8 April 2005)

30 March 2005, fee for speech at public service seminar organised by Munro and Forrester (Up to 5000). (Registered 8 April 2005)

April 2005, fee for four weekly columns in Daily Mirror (10,001-15,000) (Registered 8 April 2005)

Fee for article in Daily Mail. (Up to 5,000) (Registered 8 April 2005)

Land and Property

Second home in London, from which I temporarily receive rental income.

Max total - 75k plus rent? ...and this is just the declared income.

Redundancy/resignation income under statutory provisions for departing ministers are likely to be an additional 100k plus

Well done David a true capitalist in the making!!

Data extracted from House of Commons records - Members Interests

MikeJeff
3rd Nov 2005, 13:34
To be fair the rules and regs are written down somewhere.. he just can't read them! :p

Stafford
3rd Nov 2005, 13:42
Maybe his fingers were numb from stroking that ice maiden now on Max Clifford's payroll ? If he wasn't such a bad judge of character in his politics and love life, and such an overbearing, arrogant non achiever I might feel some sympathy with his current and hopefully now permanent predicament.

They keep telling everyone what a loss he is ? What exactly has he ever done other than talk a good fight in each bolloxed Ministry he has ever "led" ?

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2005, 14:17
It strikes me that there may be a parallel here with Nelson (the sailor). Nelson was very good at publicity, self-publicity, and ensured that everyone knew what a good job he had been doing. Of course, as the 'manager', he was only as good as the men who he managed, one of whom was Cuthbert Collingwood, who actually started and finished the job at Trafalgar. Instead of the English Fleet falling apart when their leader was killed, they went through to win . . .

Curious Pax
3rd Nov 2005, 14:46
Stafford,
I wouldn't particularly quibble over the arrogant and overbearing comments, but non-achiever is a bit harsh when you consider the jobs he has had (albeit in politics). You shouldn't underestimate the hurdles that anyone of his generation (or even later) with a disability had to overcome to even get an education, let alone a job.

I had a friend at work (sadly no longer with us) who just because his legs didn't work was assumed not to be worth educating. Fortunately he had the drive (and pigheadedness to be honest) to overcome that, get an education including degree, and get a succession of decent IT jobs at which he excelled that proved the initial prejudices to be ridiculous.

Fortunately things are mostly a bit more enlightened nowadays.

pvmw
3rd Nov 2005, 15:40
I have a friend (honest!) - who spent several months as a temp. civil servant working in Blunketts dept. a few years ago.

He was universally loathed by all, she described him as an arrogant bully. The last time he went she received several e-mails from ex-colleagues celebrating the fact.

The standard joke in the department was that they had given the post to the wrong animal, Lucy the guide dog would have made a much better minister.

Groundloop
3rd Nov 2005, 15:53
"According to Politics Today on BBC2, Blunkett now qualifies for his second redundancy payment of 18,000. So that's 36,000 he's made out of his incompetence in the last year or so."

How do you get a redundancy payment if you resign? The job is still there so it's not redundancy.

Oh, sorry, no doubt some bit of feather-bedding politicians have arranged for themselves.

Stafford
3rd Nov 2005, 20:38
Curious

On the contrary, I think he did get the job as part of the Noo Labour socially inclusive "project" just because of his disability. His total incompetence has been proven in my book despite the funeral oration being given over him by Blair and others. In addition, his aggression and intimidatory behaviour is born of the type of character needed to overcome such a disability. In my experience it doesn't necessarily make them nice people to know.

One Labour commentator on the news tonight referred to the Tories "feeling proud of themselves for attacking a blind man" ! How quickly the veneer comes off and the childish defence comes to the fore. Watching Blunkett try to justify himself on tv was just more proof of his unsuitability for office.