PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Trip through S. America

wallypilot
2nd Nov 2005, 04:10
So i'm taking a Caravan from Canada to Uruguay next week, and was wondering if anyone has been through Georgetown, Guyana (SYCJ), Manaus (SBEG), Atla Floresta(SBAT), Florianopolis (SBFL)and Campo Grande (SBCG). I am looking for general impressions and maybe hotel recommendations as well.

thanks in advance
wp

NZLeardriver
3rd Nov 2005, 07:28
From what I can recall, in Georgetown make sure that you have your fuel set up well. When I went the refueler had knocked off for the day and wouldn't come back without a bribe. We had set it up the day before.
Manaus, be prepared for delays. Have many, many copies of everything, fuel releases, flight plans, insurance, licenses, medicals, everything you will need many copies. It could easily take hours. Have many many many many copies of your fuell releases.
Campo Grande is very very good. Everyone was helpful and things went very very fast. The guys in the guard house make a mean cup of coffee too.
Can't help with the rest.

alemaobaiano
3rd Nov 2005, 09:50
wp

Manaus is all that, and probably more. If it is your first landing in Brazil be prepared for a long day. It's a very friendly place, but chaotic. Hotels will depend on your budget and requirements, but go from simple "pousadas" to 5(?) star luxury.

Floripa should be a breeze, it's usually very professional and quick there. Hotels again vary from cheap to ridiculous, but I would be happier to stay in a pousada (guest house) in Floripa than Manaus.

The others I don't know, but enjoy your trip.

wallypilot
5th Nov 2005, 04:37
forgive the ignorance....fuel release? I haven't operated with the need for these before. And why do I need so many copies?

Otherwise, I am prepared for chaos in Manaus. I am armed with original insurance documents, licenses, radio license, etc and many copies of each.

any other helpful comments will be greatly appreciated.

thanks for the comments so far.

wp