PDA

View Full Version : Swakopmund, Namibia

Sexual Chocolate
2nd Nov 2005, 02:59
Greeting from the other side of the Indian Ocean.

From what I can tell by sitting here in front of my computer and goggle-ing general aviation in Africa, Swakopmund in Namibia seems to be the place to go for someone looking to get an entry level job in Africa.

Any pilots out there who have worked in S'mund? I am of course planning on rocking up there in person and will be in touch with companies by phone before arriving on the continent - but I was wondering when the season starts and when would be the best time to arrive there? Any other cities / countries that have a safari / GA scene as big as S'mund and would be worth checking out while on the continent?

In fact, anything at all that might be helpful for a naive, impulsive, bright-eyed youngster?

saywhat
2nd Nov 2005, 16:07
Take allong your fishing rod, I think you'll need it. Can't say for sure, but as far as I can recall, nothing happens is Swakopmunt every 20 minutes, and lasts for about an hour.

Gunship
2nd Nov 2005, 16:20
You have chosen one of the ultimate sleeping hollows our beloved earth could dish up mate ... flying wise ... uhmm I think it is a rumour out there.

If you are serious I have a friend (retired SAAF Pilot) who lives there (or shall I say fish and play golf there) :E

Cheers

Gunss

Sexual Chocolate
3rd Nov 2005, 01:47
Hi guys - yeah I am serious, not necessarily about Swakopmund but Africa in general. I was thinking Namibia because it appears as though the majority of Air Safari tours depart from there but I may have it wrong.

Basically, i'm an Australian guy planning a trip to africa who'll have a couple thousand $$ with which to travel round and live off while looking for that elusive job. For someone who's bumping around 600 hours and looking for single engine piston work, where should I be headed to have the best chance of finding a job before the $$ run out?

MysticFlyer
3rd Nov 2005, 07:12
This poor guy needs advice, and he took the obvious direction.

First off all, the place, vegetation looks a lot like you have there, even the variety it has, we play rugby and jobs are scarse too.....but there the main similarities end.

So unless you're really into adventure, there's actually more than the big 5 that can kill and that's not even refering to malaria and AIDS. But it has been done before...you have a family?

It really breaks my heart to share this with you, as will any real SAfricans, but that is unfortunately the current state of affairs. The place is beautiful, most people are GREAT, but I suggest you make a very WELL informed decision.

You may be right in looking at neighbouring SA but then the advice is to look at Windhoek, Namibia - FYWE and FYWH and in the Okovango Delta Maun, Botswana.

Personally I think it's wrong that you may land a easy job in any of these areas, as the locals are also finding it hard, not having the luxury of a strong currency as your's and affirmative action preventing them landing something alternatively. I think many share the sentiment, as your country is not as forgiving and as easy process in providing reciprocal's for SA CITIZENS, I say again, SA CITIZENS seeking employment in Oz.

Many a chappie have been lured by the romanticised version of the place and flying here, but the bureaucracy. This situation of "migrant" working have led to the deteriorating working standards with these "outfits" as they have a mentality of hiring and firing, as the que is long, "you don't like it, leave"!

Any doubts on this, refer to the local saying....this is Africa bru! (Here even a lion doesn't have it always easy.)

You may wonder why all of this....that's another threa(t)d, but think of Nelson the Great, flour bombs at rugby matches, but hey, you were probably not even born at that stage! :}

Ok, ready, steady, go!

Beta Light
3rd Nov 2005, 07:43
Hey Sex. Choc.

Last year Sept. we took some time of in Namibia and got a great deal on a train trip to Swakop, thought it would be a good idea to show the wife where I spend many a festive night on night stops, and had the best weiner schnitsel at Cuchi's bar. Last time I was there I was flying for UNTAG, so it is going back a couple of years.

What a changed place, it was pumping with tourists, and any thing from Paragliding to sand boarding in the dunes.... not a sleepy hollow anymore!!

We tryed to fly down to Sussos Vlei for a day trip, could not get a seat on any of the many C210's flying out of Swakop. The charter company's said that they had 2 days of sand storm and was trying to catch up on the flying.

I had a chat to one of the youngsters flying the C210 and he told me he work for food and accomodation, but the flying was full on and logging max hours every month.

If you are prepared to work - not just fly - for less then min. wage then go for it, but he also mentioned to me that getting a work permit is not that easy, have to be sponsored by a company, and as an Ozzie I think it might be a bit harder as there is some agreement between Southern African states on development and employment, so I think if you don't hold some kind of African passport you will find it tough to break in

Sure is much better then most of the other Sh!+ holes in Africa I worked in.

Good Luck.

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 07:54
MysticFlyer, well said, cannot agree with you more. :ok:
Sexual chocolate, I really do wish you luck, however one has to understand us rooting for the local side. This exact line of thread has been bashed over and over on this site, and you will find lots of great arguments, for..and against it, because as we are all aware, aviation is a global game, and no one can lay claim to it, even in their own home countries. Its just tht the market for young pilots in Southern Africa is so saturated, and even worse....there are hundreds and hundreds of youngsters who have begged borrowed and god forbid, even waitered to make their dream of holding a pilot's licence true. Now with no animosity to anyone in the world, I do believe that the grass roots aviation in a country, should belong to the youngsters of said country. The airlines belong to the world, and I honestly have no problem with people flying for airlines that do not belong to their own countries, but the flying in which one actually learns to be a pilot, should belong to the youngsters who live there. Where else will they find the answers. Just one question, I always see lots of Ozmates, and Kiwi's flying around in Africa. What is the market for young pilots like in Oz or NZ, and how would the locals feel if the African youth were to come and look for jobs there? That is if they were even ALLOWED to come and look for flying work down there.

PS: I heard a " RUMOUR " that the SACAA is soon going to disallow validations, with foreign pilots having to complete the full licence to be entitled to fly ZS-registered machines. I heard there is a six month grace period for current validation holders, and then ALL validations will be scrapped.

Can anyone refute these rumours?? It sure will have quite an impact on many pilots lives.

But finally I still wish you luck Choclate, as you are still a member of the great brotherhood of the sky.

MysticFlyer
3rd Nov 2005, 08:39
Well done here too I.R. (and a double, :ok: :ok: , there you go!)

Anyone news about the validation thing? Anyone? Kiwi's on another thread asking about the conditions of ac in Maun.....work for lodging.....you're only shooting the local booitjies in the foot, your mates coming after you too, and by principal it's wrong, no reciprocal as I.R. said! He's my man now, only for now though...:E !

Where's a Strike-nav when you need one most? :suspect:

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 08:51
Cant help you with a Strike Nav, however, follow the Blue Bird, and you might just get what youre looking for.....:cool:

Gunship
3rd Nov 2005, 10:03
Tx for that personal update as well beta light !

Last time I was there it was the *******of the world :ok:

A friend has a cottage at Vlodskaksbaken ? spelling ? - he has a fantatsic life.

Comes into town to do the internet / drink and play golf :D

Sexual Chocolate
3rd Nov 2005, 23:14
Thanks V much for your replies guys - any of you ever thinking about coming to OZ let me know and will do everything I can to help you break in here. Don't honestly know about the work visa situation but if you're prepared to hang around for 6mths waiting for a job, there is definately work here for low time pilots. Most of the scenic flights are co-located with the backpacker trail so many young english / german / french chicks can make for a wilde working holiday.

Personally, I can see where you're coming from and share your sentiments when it comes to keeping the local work for the local people..... not uncommon to find European guys in Australia who've taken advantage of the exchange rate, done their training here at 30-40% of the cost back home, paid for ratings most of us can only afford with rich parents or years of work and no social life - and then scored a job that otherwise would have gone to a local boy.

On the other hand, if someone had grown up in the cold and snowy northern latitudes, dreamt of being a pilot and one day checking out the endless deserts on the other side of the world - if someone wanted to come and fly in Aust for love instead of career or money, then far be it for me to object.

Which is kinda why I want to go to Africa. And Asia. And South America. And the Pacific and be a GA pilot in all those far flung destinations - they're the places i've dreamed of since I was a kid.

Mystic, Beta and I.R. - thanks once again. Good luck in the air over there.....

SC

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Nov 2005, 02:39
You might want to check out the Maun threads as well.

crause
4th Nov 2005, 08:36
Hi chockolate

Its the best place in the world to start your aviation career

I suggest you head for Windhoek the people are friendly the CAA of Namibia will validate your cpl if you find a Job and present them with a job offer from one of their local companies like Westair,Comav,Desert air,Bush Pilots,or Bay Air etc etc and a Namibian Dept of Home Affairs temporary work visa that one of those companies should orgenize for you.

Unlike RSA affirmative action is not really an issue."Chester Crocer's UN reselution 435, helped to create a Namibia that is more race friendly. You will enjoy the friendly locals just go4it!!

The Dry climate makes for good VFR flying to get you started and the

trubru
4th Nov 2005, 12:42
There is nothing pleasurable about working for pleasure flights in Swakopmund, Namibia!

Don't get me wrong, the flying is absolutely fantastic, but owner is a first class whop!!!! They only imploy lowtime non-Namibian pilots and the reason for that is............ 'cause then he's got you right where he wants you.
When you are on a work permit in Namibia you can only opperate in the sphere of the company that's stamped into your passport and if you run into some problemmo's with the crazy alchoholic german then he'll try to make shure, and he will tell you that, that you don't work in Namibia ever again!

He's got a very vindictive and sadistic nature and the only reason that i'm posting this is 'cause I know that i'm not the only one to whom this has happened and it's very important that other potential pilots of Pleasure Flights and Safari's also know that this is a guy to watch out for.

Let's see if anybody else here knows what i'm talking about....

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Nov 2005, 13:37
Nee wat, boet.

Those creatures are everywhere...:rolleyes: :(

Got to move on before he shafts you just for the hell of it. Good luck!:ok:

bigmanatc
4th Nov 2005, 14:31
Hey Choc

Swakop was the best 5 years of my life......never mind all these negative yahoo`s....plenty flying to be done there and a magic social life.... Go for it...!

MysticFlyer
4th Nov 2005, 15:00
You're not PPL anymore?

Reason why, he's asking workwise....you ever worked (as in - flying - commercially) for any outfit there?

Let us know...

Mystic 1

now it will look again as if I'm picking on someone again.... :suspect:

ou Trek dronkie
4th Nov 2005, 17:01
That's a pity. It seemd to be a very pleasant company when Chris and Claudia ran it. What happened ?

oTd

vaninnam
6th Nov 2005, 10:42
Hey sex chock
Give Swakopmund a try even if you don't find a job you will enjoy it.
It's all about the right place at the right time.
There are many foreigners flying all over in Nam.Many guys I flew with started on C210 and laeve with a Beech 1900 rating or even a citation (ok it is an old one)
Good luck
Ps is bigmanatc also known as joe
send me a pm

Hey tru bru
is it maybe erwie ?

spikefm
6th Nov 2005, 10:58
Hey Choc,

Mate, if you dont come right in Namibia be sure to checkout Maun in Botswana. The flying is awesome over there, flying 900 hrs a year and the people are great.

Dumela to the Maun boys!!

spike

Sexual Chocolate
6th Nov 2005, 22:42
Cheers guys. Just one final thing - over in OZ the scenic flight 'season' starts around March - need to rock up and get a job by february at the latest or you have to wait another twleve months or hope someone quits / gets fired. Is there a season over your way or do they run all year round?

bigmanatc
8th Nov 2005, 12:52
Mystic Flyer

There is work there....yes I am still a ppl and the sky divers are always looking for a driver.....some of the other companies also sometimes have too many flights and too few drivers......for a cpl you should find something...might have to wait for awhile if all the slots are taken...but hey..the beers` cold and the crayfish plenty.....

MysticFlyer
8th Nov 2005, 13:59
Now see...you in the tower there......other companies... sometimes...

We are not giving this lad an UNBIASED opinion...the one where your cover is not blown before you have typed a word....bigmanatc!

Could this be a point to ponder?

Mystic 1

Ns. Net as dit TAFEL's is! die vleisbomme en al die ander man, hoe loop die vis? (dink toe dadelik aan die skrefies-oë :ugh: :{ :sad: )

bigmanatc
8th Nov 2005, 15:03
Hey I`m just encouraging the man the to go.....I can`t name companies, well suppose I could but then someone else will have a go at me.....Its as good a place as any to try for a job.....IMHO.

Die vis loop swaerrie skreefies oe en al....:cool:

JohnnyK
10th Nov 2005, 13:25
Has the whine gone off or is it just a case of sour grapes? What the hell are IR and Mystic burbling on about. Last time I looked at a map Botswana and Namibia were seperate countries from SA. That,my poor wee lambs, makes it open season for the Kiwis and Aussies, and anyone else for that manner to come and look for work. If we were taking jobs from South Africans in South Africa then you might have a case for your bleating but you seemed to have confused anothers nation as your own. This,you may recall, is what got you in the crap in the first place.
Sexual chocolate-you go hard mate and get yourself a job in South(ern) Africa-if your a decent geezer and you fly ok then im sure you'll do fine.

birdlady
10th Nov 2005, 16:53
Johnny K

Couldnt have said it better myself :ok: :ok:

P68BRAVO
11th Nov 2005, 17:53
JohnnyK
well done couldnt have said it better myself me too.

MysticFlyer
12th Nov 2005, 09:30
Well, well, now who would have guessed that.

A smart Johnny jumps onto a pc (in the now, bit older Zealand - previously owned by Maori) and cures all the problems of low staffing at Botswana and Namibian owned companies....very "local" owned, they are.:ooh:

Furthermore, he's a well read individual in terms of African history, geograpy, demographics and politics to boot.

My good guess is that this little individual is currently not under parental control and I think it may have to do with halitosis, otherwise he would have been a great sheep farmer instead of an aviator.

Interesting to see what types have access to a medium of communication, and how it's used to communicate ignorance. You go figure why I won't take the racial thing personally, (and here I don't want you to think...it involves reading!) alternatively do a search for my previous postings on this network.

Come on over, the water's fine...the grass is green! (Hey, they've got goats in Botswana:p )

By the way johnnyk and backers....

Fresh CPL no more in Botswana flying in Maun, gee so that\'s a prerequisite to land a good job in Kiwiland?

You guys reckon that to be able to say Dumela is cool and the women is pretty....

How\'s the workpermits?:E

Black Baron
13th Nov 2005, 08:53
That was a pathetic personal attack Mysticflyer.
No wonder the place is full of Kiwi's and Wallabies if you are a good representation of the local talent.

It looks like you hit a raw nerve there JohnnyK.

Couldn't agree more mate, Namibia and Botswana are not South Africa.

See you all in the Delta for a cold one
:ok:

MysticFlyer
13th Nov 2005, 12:04
All these kids...zero to hero in less than 6months. (His last post in June was with him at CPL 250hrs).

My good guess is that the bunch of you got a bit of a panelbeating by some more local bunch than yourselfes.:ooh:

Funny how they all get onto the African forum, smoothly asks for local advice, and then whap!:yuk:

Old pilots....and bold pilots.....those ego's boys...and a girl that overstayed her welcome after "hour-building".

Lass, you're also in the swamps with these Nile crocodile's...hey the Baron also speaks of his "earlier" days in Zaire, ....who's your daddy, Idi or Bob?:hmm:

saywhat
13th Nov 2005, 13:00
S.C. You want a job is Southern Africa? I hereby invite you over to the finest continent on earth. Don't listen to the tossheads ho slag you for your willingness to find work. I assure you that at least 99% of the folk you will meet here are great guys. Of the 1% of others, you find them everywhere.

reptile
14th Nov 2005, 07:18
Aaah......The MisfitFlyer again!:yuk:

:ok: saywhat - you got the nail on the head:ok:

ps. it would be ok to insert "MysticFlyer" for "tosshead" in future postings:ouch:

MysticFlyer
14th Nov 2005, 09:12
Oh...oh...

This search button is great.....and I know I shouldn't be feeding the trolls.:p

saywhat..or sayagain, ex-SAAF chappie (my good guess SANDF) sent someone to Accra instead of Dar once! He previously thus also bunked with Ajax 28 which we know has been previously disadg'ed....stayed behind.

(Being a bit more advantaged in the right department it allows me some insight too- which makes me draw the conclusion that you should have stayed there - but was leaving your choice?)

reptile then after not reading his PM carefully, jumps out Rambo style again, after I now know that he is not riding shotgun for I.R., this your way of getting back?:ouch: With your'e guys' mentality, bring it on!:} (I'll be on my DSL line long after your drinking money's finished too!)

You see, a lot of Nile crocodiles in the charter and contract industry....go on in, the water's fine!

I always thought aviation should attract the clever ones, like the black baron that posts his sexual wheelbarrow antics in a small plane, I'm sure he'll bust minimas too...but then again....few ILS's in FBMN area.

So back to the lost thread of "What's happening in Maun?"

:E

Edited to add: OK, who's dad's name is Hilton?

birdlady
14th Nov 2005, 20:01
Mystic,

Ill say this again. What on earth have you been smoking. Your grasp on the english language is certainly lacking. My advice, if you dont have anything intelligent to say I suggest that you go back to the rock that you crawled out from.

MysticFlyer
15th Nov 2005, 16:59
Birdy, was very tempted to say Birdbrain...

What I have forgotten about aviation in SA, or the region, you have yet to learn, it's going slow, even if you're doing it instructing without a working permit from FAGC.

At 23 I also thought that I had all answers, but it shows that even though your daddy's a diplomat from Ireland, diplomacy is not heridatory.

I really suggest, in case you haven't received resendency yet, after landing in SA, claiming to want to be an SA, that you join the Kiwi's in Maun, it may do you good, if you're not there yet...

As I have said to the just as arrogant blackbaron, who is cuurently in the swamps, who also is sometimes careless in respect of wearing seatbelts, take it easy out there, don't let your ego write a cheque, you're body can't honour.

OK, the roxkspider's underneath the rock again, but hey, how many languages do you speak, apart from Irish and English, Lassy?

Haggis, pure Haggis...that's my brand i.t.o. smoking!

birdlady
15th Nov 2005, 19:36
Ho Hum.......... you win some you loose some. Im not evening going to try and agrue with you....... you've already made up your mind about me.

PS. Im irish - diplomacy is not in our vocabulary. We tell it how we see it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :ok:

fluffyfan
15th Nov 2005, 19:37
Oh Dear Mystic, here you go again, I am sure you find it quite amusing to antagonise people on PPrune, but please bear in mind that we dont want to give them the impression that South Africans are a bunch of *******..........although reading some of your threads I find this hard to do.....the song "never met a nice South African" springs to mind

Sex Choc......good luck Mate, and you may want to try a few of the contract companies in South Africa when you get here, NAC, Fedair, Rossair...although think they have gone bankrupt, Norsair (old Balmoral) lots of contract companies who take guys like yourself, flying all over Africa, maybe worth investigating.

And as for Mystic, well we are not all like him, his type are everywhere, its a pitty its the bad ones people remember....Its the old Goat ****** theory.................."A man can spend his life building bridges. Do they call him John the Bridge Builder? No. A man can spend his life raising crops. Do they call him John the Farmer? No. But you ****one goat . . ."

MysticFlyer
15th Nov 2005, 19:58
Rocky....(Balboa?)

You should have stayed with Nationwide! You're not really with SAA?! Your gonna attract way too much attention upon yourself while you are missing the point here, my booi.

Neck back, parra, you got in there with ability? Methinks not....this is your final warning, Rocky, the pal of Gofel who wasn't really sure if the 737-800's was equipped with HUD's hopped onto the Balcony thread...and voila, stated he has never been an Airbus fan, Vernon's wife (and rich family) couldn't buy them from day go!

Dom drol....:yuk:
OK, who's next?:}

fluffyfan
15th Nov 2005, 20:38
You think you know me Mystic..............careful who you threaten pal

this is your final warning, Rocky

I see you have discovered the search function in PPRUNE, nice is'nt it, much like the emoticons, which you used till you got bored of them.

MysticFlyer
16th Nov 2005, 02:32
I'll tell you something, Rocky

Sometimes it is better to get stuck between a rock and a hard place.

You wanna go another round? I say peace man, you started it, I'll be writing something on Aviation and History in SA soon, well my opinion of it. I promise it won't be slanderous, I've never intended it, but carefull, as my mom said, people in glass houses and stone throwing don't mix.

Yes, the search function, now go use it, and my smilies are activited, are your's?
;) :p

16th Nov 2005, 03:40
even if you're doing it instructing without a working permit from FAGC.

Ooops ! There goes the cover. :sad: Maybe time to go join the queue at Home Affairs and apply for that permit.....

MysticFlyer
16th Nov 2005, 04:15
Yip that search button,

Well as you have said too, Lassy, if it goes tits-up there's.....the SWAMPS :ooh: and it isn't in SA either......

With alittle luck, maybe we could even summon up a - Miragepilote posting or two for old Rocky-fluff, that wouldn't be Bum-fluff hey?

:ok:

bigmanatc
16th Nov 2005, 16:44
Taking bets here......odds on first one to meet Mystic gives him a snot klap........or two...

:ouch:

MysticFlyer
17th Nov 2005, 11:16
126,7, thanks, well spotted!

Hey, before I take you appart and remind you that ATC's once were once Commissioners of Oath in the (note always - good) old days, go think about your and the other respondents' previous postings on corruption, crime, moaning, and slating of any non-conformers in SOUTH AFRICA and beyond.

saywhat's a wannabe fluffy-driver and you are one too!

That attitude...bad characteristic for someone "living in glass houses". It's like being shot at while flying contractors around with a PPL man!

Everyone complaining about the eischh's but it's OK for everyone else to "bend it" a bit. No-one said a word on this forum when she stated so herself, what for an example are we then? (note - we) Nothing against foreigners, but in their country I'm expected to comply, so she, yes... touched a (comply) nerve.

Good luck if she got away with it, as aviation evolves around luck hey? Maybe in selection...your'e back at ATNS?

Hey you're a rugby-fan, me too, but I like boxing better, but shall we fight fair? :8

MF
Ns. Nag ou grote.

17th Nov 2005, 17:27
Mystic boetie
Whatever you're smoking, dont keep it all for yourself...share!!!!

Nag nag lekker slaap.

MysticFlyer
17th Nov 2005, 17:50
Regarding...."were once"?

MysticFlyer
18th Nov 2005, 05:28
Let me see, Jungle.....I once went into a tower and thought I saw Tarzan, attitude to go with it though. Back to the fishbowl:p

;)

Mungalui
18th Nov 2005, 06:26
Dumela Spike.

Ja,Maun is already filling up with pilots walking around looking for jobs.Trying to get onto flights into the Delta.There will definitely be job oppurtunities seeing as half the Kiwi population of Maun is finally leaving.
Teeth out!
:}

bigmanatc
18th Nov 2005, 07:19
It's like being shot at while flying contractors around with a PPL man!

You must have been driving BEN

spikefm
18th Nov 2005, 10:19
Dis mooi ou maat!

Say Hello to Smithers, how's flying? you guys busy? ask him if they are in or out!!!!!
Things lekke this side going to cool places on the river here.

kick it like a rangers teeth.........they must come out!!!!!!!!!!

hare of blare??

radio spike

Mungalui
18th Nov 2005, 10:27
Jis ou matie!!!

Dinge lyk mooi die kant.
Season is starting to realy slow down.Smithers is his usual self.He goes boating a lot. Leaving the flying for us.Are you guys staying in a compound over there?

spikefm
18th Nov 2005, 10:53
Nie regtig nie, on huur n woonstekblok....just okay!!
vlieg is besig, ons doen seker so 100-110 n maand maar ons wissel maar af tussen mekaar.
hoe gaan dit met die boys? Ek moet miskien langer hier bly, maar wil kom uithelp as ek kans kry.
Please send regards to all ( Max, Diggs, Fraser, German, Smith........the boys)

Nxuuspipe.

Spike

MysticFlyer
18th Nov 2005, 17:42
126,7 sign in as yourself again, this creating other characters and then posting to avoid the question....you know what, you can fool some guys some of the time.....

It's an old trick of your's. As soon as the temp rises, you go into deep spy-mode. Next time in the mirror.....now that's a Mangalui!

Wait I'll quickly summon.... CrypticFlyer:ooh:

4HolerPoler
18th Nov 2005, 20:07
Zilch here on Swakop anymore. Thread closed, please feel free to start a new one.

4HP