PDA

View Full Version : Where now for BMI? Modular service not working?

EastMids
1st Nov 2005, 20:34
Since the introduction of the modular service concept on August 1st, AEA figures for BMI are as follows:

AUGUST 2005 v AUGUST 2004
Pax - minus 10.2%
RPKs - minus 1.0%
ASKs - plus 3.3%
Load Factor - minus 3.1%

Presumably not a good start, especially considering they supposedly gained from BA's catering problems

Source: http://www.aea.be/dbnetgrid2//htmleditor/UploadFiles/Pr05-041.pdf

SEPTEMBER 2005 v SEPTEMBER 2004
Pax - minus 7.4%
RPKs - plus 0.3%
ASKs - plus 7.2%
Load factor - minus 4.7%

Source:
http://www.aea.be/dbnetgrid2//htmleditor/UploadFiles/PR05-043.pdf

Headline figures are pretty much the worst of AEA members except for JAT and Cyprus Airways, with most other carriers registering increases. OK, so yields are more important than many other measures, but does anyone believe they're going up at BMI?

So, the new service concept... Working, not working, too soon to tell, where now and what next (if anything needs to change)?

Count von Altibar
1st Nov 2005, 20:43
It's the traditional 'slow time of year' for air travel. Having flown various routes in recent days it seems that the Belfast and Dublin routes are filling the most seats. Most European routes are pretty poor in the load factor department. Unless the airline utilizes it's slots more in the longhaul direction and consolidates the shorthaul, I think we're in for big trouble at bmi. Roll on more widebodies!

bmibabyfc
1st Nov 2005, 20:53
like prev post loads are low at the moment due time of year!!

however, these will pick up dramatically as we enter the xmas period and with the bmi concept being like baby now the low fares will increase pax figures as people go away for shopping days,see family etc....

i think its too early too judge at the mo whether or not the concept is working but the money will start rolling in!!!

The good thing about it is that the peope that buy these low fares that bmi are offering will HOPEFULLY see that they are a respectful airline and will choose to fly bmi over ryanair or easyjet if the price was the same! im sure some people on here will disagree with that,but i for one would rather fly an airline that would look after me rather that one that are known for leaving pax strandad!!! (that was mostly aimed at FR not U2)

regards

bmibabyfc

MarkD
2nd Nov 2005, 03:36
getting rid of the 321s might ease pax numbers back a bit?

spanishflea
2nd Nov 2005, 10:22
Whilst it is "the slow time of year" the figures shown were like for like, they werent comparing two different times of year.

Copenhagen
2nd Nov 2005, 11:03
Since when is August and September the slow time of the year? These two months are the busy months...

EastMids
2nd Nov 2005, 12:51
My feeling are:

* The fgiures are like-for-like year-on-year, indicating a drop compared to last year rather than a drop compared to the previous month. As such, the headline numbers MUST be of concern as they show substantial downturns on the position the airline had last year

* Whilst maybe not peak for business travellers, August (and to a degree September) are peak travel months for leisure travellers looking for cheap trips away. In the market bmi now plays to (i.e. cheap leisure travel) October and November are in fact quiet months. The figures for October will indeed be telling

A