PDA

View Full Version : The "Airport kid" Syndrome ....

RW-1
20th Jun 2001, 23:11
Well, I will get to my topic, but have to lead in .... >Rant mode ON<

Pac rotors, guess what was out on the line today? Yeeeesssss, the new BSO 135.

So I swing by and one pilots was getting ready to leave in the A - Star, "No problem, just don't touch anything" (hehe ...)

So I get a few pics for you, as best I can as they shut the doors on me prior to me getting a cockpit shot (It is configured for single pilot ops, have great shots of the nightsun and FLIR unit too).

I get done and am walking back when i notice a group now out at the aircraft and someone is opening it up, etc. They are taking pics, and I figured I could go back and get some better interior shots for you. Well the guy, I only glanced at his name patch to see training officer says "well, one moment and I can get to you."

Well after having to walk back to the hangar edge and waiting 15 min, the original pilot swings by to tell me they would be awhile, so I gave up on it and headed back to work.

Now gang, I realize I'm a nobody (but a taxpayer none the less) but can anyone tell me why this moron (you should have seen the size of him too, if there is a weight limit for pilots / EMT's I don't see him under it, must be why "If you can't do - teach :)) couldn't just let me get the 3-4 more shots I needed, I didn't need the friggin tour, just wanted the pics, and wasn't in the way either (there were only two other people with him).

Yep, I'm peturbed by the whole thing, which brings me to my topic:

The "Airport kid" syndrome, have we upped security and suspicion to such a great degree that anyone interested in doing the "hang at the airport and see aircraft" cannot? It is a topic here in the US, and some feel it is happening, you get a kid brave enought to ignore the security signs at the local general aviation airport that hangs on the fence watching for anything not in contact with the ground, he has more chances of being run off (or feels run off) more than ever.

Certainly not the way I want to see it go.

>Rant mode OFF :)<

Anyway, Pac, got the pics, will have them developed and placed on CD, and load them up to my site, then I'll give everyone in rotorheads the URL so you may grab them.

------------------
Marc

[This message has been edited by RW-1 (edited 20 June 2001).]

sling load
22nd Jun 2001, 18:03
take your photos at an airshow or an open day, you proably gave em the sh--s poking around, and your comment, if you can't do teach, is probably the reason why people get the sh--ts with rubberneckers, keep your opinions about someones height and weight to yourself, take the hint,...........

Try_Cyclic
22nd Jun 2001, 19:08
I always appreciated the pilots of Nelson Rockefeller's helicopter who, one day, many years ago ,let me walk over and take pictures of the cockpit.
They permitted me to sit in the pilots seat and then they took my picture sitting there with my best piercing look.
I sent the pic to people and told them I was taking lessons in a Huey.

I suppose today I would take a bullet for
trying that.

Try_Cyclic

Grainger
22nd Jun 2001, 19:27
So RW how do you like it if you are working away at your job and a load of tyre-kickers come round - ooohh, mister can I have a look at your camera? Can we watch you develop some pictures ? Can I have a look through your lens ?

Sure, it's nice to involve the public and many airfields have public viewing areas etc. It's great to see the look on some kid's face as he watches you lift the helicopter, but we don't want spotters pawing all over the machines.

RW-1
22nd Jun 2001, 19:42
Lets see, first off Sling, the comment was an observation, not spoken. but applies in his case.

Second, I asked permission to go out on the ramp from the office and received it. I do not make assumptions, so there's none of that suprised look crap, even so, when queried I simply stated I had asked permission, etc and received it. There was none of that going on that day.

Second, no one was interrupted. Hey, the first pilot was more than happy, saying "no problem, etc. I had not interrupted anything or anyones routine, the guy was just being an ass. Let's remember one thing, what that guy was doing was letting these other two do what I was going to do, take pics, so please tell me how I interrupted anything there, 2 sec, snap pics, and leave, etc. I suppose one would really have to be there as this is a rant of mine, but I assure you if you were there you would be questing the same as I was.

Third, as indicated in the whole syndrome thing, well, got to tell you I have had bystanders at our fence 15 ft away from our Robbies, and while preflighting if I see someone who looks like they have that gleam in their eye I invite them out to watch the preflight, at a slight distance, or if time permits I show them what I am doing, looking at etc.

While not practable for more expensive birds and operations, the syndrome if allowed to continue will affect how many do decide to pursue flying as such.

I've had to do preflights with news crews filming, much worse, I'd rather have a regular person interested in helis than a crew anyday. I see any time permitting opportunity to introduce a young person, or one who may become a student if given that 5 minute chance to be next to or in one, as one not to be lost and try to take advantage of it. So far, 3 student starts have been a result of me, leading 1 to an intro flight prior to signing up, and 2 that just went and signed up for training.

------------------
Marc

[This message has been edited by RW-1 (edited 22 June 2001).]

pilotwolf
23rd Jun 2001, 01:24
...someone once told me the best preflight you ever do is after the ship has been near the general public, especially if they can actually touch it.

... the second best preflight is the irst after it comes out of the maintance shop. No dis-respect to the mechanics but the odd lose tool or bolt has occasionally been found!

RW-1
23rd Jun 2001, 02:56
True PW, After a static display at a show, I can't count the amount of FOD that has been found during preflight.

------------------
Marc

sling load
23rd Jun 2001, 11:10
what a goose