PDA

View Full Version : TV Licensing adverts.. a load of b***

18greens
1st Nov 2005, 21:09
I've just been watching that advert where they say they know all of the addresses of those that don't have licences.

If that really is the case why don't they send the van with the spinny roofrack around and collect the cash. Why annoy the honest among us and waste money on TV adverts.

Unless... they don't actually have the list and its all just a big bluff.

Has anyone managed not to have a licence and got away with it???

Floppy Link
1st Nov 2005, 21:18
Sure.
Just didn't have a telly.

They still sent the nasty letters though :rolleyes:

Eejits

Paul Wilson
1st Nov 2005, 21:50
The thing that annoys me is that my water company, my gas company and my electric company give me a discount for paying by Direct Debit, but the TV licensing Nazis not only do not give you a discount but for the first 6 months charge you double rate.

Also whatever you do, do not buy a license near the end of the month, if you buy a 1 year license on the 30th of March 2005, it does not last until the 30th of March 2006, but just until the 28th of Febuary, only full months count:* :* :* bar stewards :* :* :*

Farrell
1st Nov 2005, 21:52
Didn't someone else on here recently almost have to take them to court over them sending out letters to his house?

G-CPTN
1st Nov 2005, 21:57
And if you emigrate you cannot get a refund! Not sure if you DIE (haven't tried that yet).

1st Nov 2005, 21:58
Farrell,
That would be me. The [email protected] couldn't understand why I didn't have a licence (empty house), and kept sending me reminders, and threatening letters.
This is an exact copy of my final letter to them, and I've not heard anything since!

Dear Mr XXXX
Firstly, Let me congratulate you, for working for what must be the most incompetent company it has ever been my misfortune to deal with.
Secondly, Could you please let me know what is so hard to understand from the following sentence?
THERE IS NO TV RECEPTION EQUIPTMENT AT THE ABOVE ADDRESS.
Thirdly. If I receive any more letters from you, threatening to take me to court because of YOUR incompetence, I will be the one taking legal action.

teeteringhead
2nd Nov 2005, 09:25
But they are soooo inefficent - and we are paying for it!

Last year I moved flats, new flat had been empty for some time. being a good boy :D not only did I have a licence for the old flat, but transferred it to the new address via the call centre......

...... been in the new flat about 3 months and get the "no licence at your address" letter. Suspecting a call centre cock up (how unusual would that be) I called again to check the change of address had been actioned.

"Oh yes sir" they said, "but we send the letters out en masse to the post office (wait for it) 3 times a year, dated up to 4 months in advance!"

"Why???"

"The Post Office insist".......

So anyone who re-licensed in the previous 3-4 months would still get a letter!!! Unbelieveable.

effortless
2nd Nov 2005, 10:35
But they are soooo inefficent - and we are paying for it!
But this isn't inefficient behaviour. That is why we get so many pointless letters. It is cheaper to send out letters to everyone on a list than to check each address on the list to see who is already accounted for.

Some years ago the Swedish TV licensing authority announced that they were going to stop transmission to unlicensed sets for a few minutes. The then stopped transmission. Sure they got a few complaints from those who had a license, to whom they apologised but they had thousands of new licensed bought the very next day. ;)

under_exposed
2nd Nov 2005, 11:00
The Post Office insist".......

That is a poor excuse, when you consider the post office handles TV licensing.

PileUp Officer
2nd Nov 2005, 11:17
Once I saw a huge billboard which said "5 people in AB12 3CD don't have a TV license".

Someone had spraypainted underneath "Maybe they have a life".

Made me 'lol' anyway :)

Although I actually agree with principle I have never had a TV license.

Airway to Heaven
2nd Nov 2005, 11:20
What annoys me is the presumption that everyone has a TV. It's a bit like the CAA sending out bills for pilots licences and then saying " Oh by the way, if you're not a pilot just let us know "

I've been watching for 13 years now without a licence, and have had them come knocking once in all that time.

I would be more than happy to purchase a TV set unable to receive the BBC channels.

Rainboe
2nd Nov 2005, 11:31
Can anyone put this to rest? I have heard that the TV Licence vans with all the paraphernalia on top for detecting CRT transmissions are a load of balony. Are these stories about them in their vans knowing what you are watching and where your TV is located 'hot air'?

I do have a licence- just to keep those savages off my back. I would gladly not listen or watch BBC at all to get out of it- they are just not worth it....and they want 200 pa now? Outrageous.

Helli-Gurl
2nd Nov 2005, 11:44
I thought pensioners got a discount ??!! ;)

Gordon Fraser
2nd Nov 2005, 12:11
It would be interesting to learn the total cost of operating the TV licencing authority. I suspect that you were to add up the cost of all their operations, including the fancy detection vans, postage and advertising, the total spent would go some way to meeting the BBC subsidy.

teeteringhead
2nd Nov 2005, 12:13
My understanding is that detection is physically possible - parts of the receiver do indeed transmit at a frequency which reveals which (terrestrial) channel you are tuned to, but is rarely done as its so labour intensive=costly.

However, the detection could all be done from a laptop on the back seat of a Mini - the vans are indeed a heap of canine doodoos - but their appearance does get licences bought!

I do like the Swedish idea tho!! :ok:

G-CPTN
2nd Nov 2005, 12:16
>It would be interesting to learn the total cost of operating the TV licencing authority. I suspect that you were to add up the cost of all their operations, including the fancy detection vans, postage and advertising, the total spent would go some way to meeting the BBC subsidy.

But what would you do with an unemployed TV-licencing Enforcement Officer?
I'm sure there are similar Agencies that hardly justify their existance. CSA?

>a heap of canine doodoos

I thought that fouling by dogs was prohibited. What about a DNA database of all dogs? That would close the loup-hole.

spekesoftly
2nd Nov 2005, 12:26
the vans are indeed a heap of canine doodoos - but their appearance does get licences bought!

State of the Art (http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/pop/tvdetector.htm) :p

G-CPTN
2nd Nov 2005, 12:36
They don't build 'em like that any more (except in India . . . )

ShyTorque
2nd Nov 2005, 13:22
"a heap of canine doodoos

I thought that fouling by dogs was prohibited. What about a DNA database of all dogs? That would close the loup-hole."

A loup-hole? Isn't "loup" the French word for wolf? So closing the loup-hole should work very well indeed..... :p

I always pay cash and give a false name and address when buying a new telly. The company you buy from allegedly passes your details to the licence folk.

Maple 01
2nd Nov 2005, 13:50
A bit of TEMPEST screening on the TV should beat the detector van

R4+Z
2nd Nov 2005, 14:08
It is my understanding that the part of a TV which makes it detectable is the bit whigh produces the high voltage to make the CRT work. It would be interesting to find out if they are moving to scare tactics because plasma or LCD screens are not detectable?

CWL2YOW
2nd Nov 2005, 15:46
And if you emigrate you cannot get a refund! Not sure if you DIE (haven't tried that yet)

I got a refund when I emigrated. Infact, I got back more than I thought. Which was nice...

Rainboe
2nd Nov 2005, 16:04
Hello Helli-G!
I thought pensioners got a discount ??!!
You're only as young as the girl you feel, which makes me 41 I'll have you know!

Now can you shield your TV from giving you away by wrapping it in Bacofoil? (I'm still working on how to see the picture).

terryJones
2nd Nov 2005, 20:47
Helli-Gurl
You get the licence fro FREE if you are over 75, but the biggest insult I think, and the one which I feel should be looked at, (Apart from the obvious getting rid altogether) is the 50% discount if you are registered BLIND.....

Helli-Gurl
2nd Nov 2005, 21:11
41 eh Rainboe? that moves you into my age bracket ! ;) but then I'd make you feel all of 36 going on 16 then ! Didn't know u have a thing for Bacofoil tho....you should know I am weary of men with fetishes!

TJ I agre it's an abomination,so what happens if you're both ancient and blind?

xx

B Fraser
3rd Nov 2005, 05:22
what happens if you're both ancient and blind?

The PM gives you his backing and then you resign :}

Helli-Gurl
3rd Nov 2005, 15:58
It was Blunkett's dog all along calling the shots ....I thought that was common knowledge!

I wonder if he has a TV license!

I asked my ex that...and he said he didn't know he needed a license to wear my clothes!

:{

Mr Chips
4th Nov 2005, 01:03
but the biggest insult I think, and the one which I feel should be looked at, (Apart from the obvious getting rid altogether) is the 50% discount if you are registered BLIND..... I don't understand why this is a problem (no, really) - surely if a blind person has bought a TV.. they must get some use out of it, therefore they should pay for the fecking licence... (yes, i really do mean that!)