PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Super Puma emergency landing in water

RotorSwede
1st Nov 2005, 19:50
A Swedish airforce Super Puma was forced to do an emergency landing in the ocean today. The aircraft was doing SAR training. Eight POB, of which three were civilian.

The incident resembles the accident outside Gothenburg 2 years ago when another puma crashed, but this time noone was hurt. The ship will be towed to shore ASAP. No news on the reason for the emergency landing yet, but as soon as anyone hears anything, please post here.

best regards

RS

alouette
1st Nov 2005, 20:08
Yet another confirmation that SAR is not like a cake walk....tough stuff. Will be interesting to read the official report on that incident.:ok:

Mikila1A
1st Nov 2005, 22:47
Any reason given yet today?

M609
2nd Nov 2005, 10:58
Third Swedish SAR Super Puma to bite the dust in 5 years.............

(Kebnekaise in 2000 and west of Gothenburg 2 years ago)

Out of a fleet of 12, that's a lot me thinks.......kinda proves the bit about SAR not beeing a cake walk.

Will this bird be a write off as well, or is a rebuild an option?

NorthSeaTiger
2nd Nov 2005, 14:05
Anymore news on this ?, I have searched the web and drawn a blank.

M609
2nd Nov 2005, 15:02
Swedish TV3 reports that the FDR "is on the bottom of the ocean", which would indicate that the fuselage has sunken......

Collective Bias
2nd Nov 2005, 17:46
http://blt.se/article.php?args=644997,102;151;0;0

CB

http://www.blt.se/bild_arkiv/49/00000184049.jpg

ShyTorque
2nd Nov 2005, 18:09
A single engine failure in the winching hover is quite likely to result in a ditching, especially if there is someone on the wire. Whether the aircraft sinks or swims once it's down depends on how quickly the crew can pop the floats and the sea state.

Hope the crew are all safe.

NorthSeaTiger
2nd Nov 2005, 18:37
Anyway to get that translated to English ?, Is that what happened an engine failure in the hover ?

Spanish Waltzer
2nd Nov 2005, 18:48
Am I right in saying that there is a very recent picture of a swedish SAR super puma on the latest page of the rotorheads around the world picture thread posted by Aser? Doing a winch transfer to a sub.

If I knew how to post a link I would....sorry!

M609
2nd Nov 2005, 21:26
You are indeed correct Waltzer

http://www.hkpflj.mil.se/save/images/local/vinschningtyskubst.jpg

NorthSeaTiger
2nd Nov 2005, 21:45
From what I can make of that report (from a dodgey on-line translator) is 8 on board, 2 pilots, 3 civvies, 2 winch crew and an engineer, doing winching manouvres, on 2nd winch with stretcher something suddenly failed (vague at present as to what) pilot did well to control and didn't dump it in the water straight away. Pax got off into dinghey and were rescued quickley.

Correct ?

M609
3rd Nov 2005, 00:55
Close...

2 pilots, FE, Nav and Winchman, as well as 2 student pilots and a representative from the Maritime Rescue Coordination Cell

It happened when the second evolution was about to start. Nothing about anyone hanging in the cable at the time.

Controlled emergency landing, crew remained in the aircraft until they spotted the rescue boat, they then moved into a liferaft.

NorthSeaTiger
3rd Nov 2005, 08:10
So has a cause been established yet ?

NorthSeaTiger
7th Nov 2005, 13:24
No further info ? , what happened to the tail has it been recovered ?

Collective Bias
16th Nov 2005, 19:57
No technical fault has been found so far.

CB

NorthSeaTiger
17th Nov 2005, 08:05
Engine failure had been suggested earlier so has this been ruled out ?