PDA

View Full Version : CPL(H) Techs: CAA CAN change their mind!

Whirlybird
20th Jun 2001, 12:00
I've already posted a shorter version of this to Wannabes, so my apologies for boring anyone who reads both.

In the CPL(H) Tech exams earlier this month, I passed everything except Principles of Flight, which I failed by 2%. While revising for the resit, I remembered that there had been a question on the height of the ground cushion, in which I had been sure that all four of the CAA's possible answers were wrong. I checked the books, asked people, everyone agreed with me. One of the PPRuNe military pilots, N Genfire (thanks N Gen!), persuaded me to write to the CAA about it; he even found me the e-mail address. Well, I got an e-mail from them yesterday, saying as so many of the standard texts agree with me they're giving me credit for that question, which means a PASS! So I'm through the lot. No more exams :) :) :) :) :)

So for anyone doing these exams, or any others, remember it's always worth querying, writing, fighting back. It might work. You may be right, and they may even be prepared to admit that. I so nearly just accepted it. I'd even booked the resit and accommodation, and started revising again. If it hadn't been for PPRuNe...

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

The Nr Fairy
20th Jun 2001, 12:25
Not only a full pass first time on the Techs, then, but NO resit fees !!

Well done.

Balance!
20th Jun 2001, 13:11
Well done, an example to us all

Up & Away
20th Jun 2001, 13:43
Too late for many after 25 years of 'attitude' at the CAA. A new generation of 'humans' must have come though.
Great news - long live the CAA

paco
20th Jun 2001, 19:50
I did that back in the seventies - it was even a related question, something to do with transitioning from the hover and what the controls do, I believe.

Well done for questioning it, and passing!

cheers

phil

RW-1
20th Jun 2001, 20:01
Good job Gal, as I stated privately! :)

So, uh, you're buying tonight? Eh ?

------------------
Marc

Whirlybird
20th Jun 2001, 20:16
Yep, for anyone who can make it up to North Wales, drinks are on me!

------------------
Whirly

SPS
21st Jun 2001, 16:56
Well done whirly, good on 'yer as they say.

I didn't fare so well when failing a CPL H tech exam by 2% in NZ, the duff question was discussed on this forum at length, also on my website. The company resposible for it ignored me. That is not my grievance, so what?

Its the fact that such questions are out there and if you try to draw attention to them you are labelled with all sorts of labels....

Anyway, I say this to illustrate how difficult what you have achieved actually IS
and how encouraged I am to see the UK CAA take some notice.

Well done to them too. It takes a much bigger person to capitulate and admit than it does to argue away dissent.

Whirlybird
21st Jun 2001, 18:48
SPS,

I agree entirely. It proved to me that it's always worth trying. But it also proved that behind the apparently faceless CAA are people, some good and some bad, just like the rest of us.

I'm just glad I ran into one of the good ones :)

------------------
Whirly

Roofus
23rd Jun 2001, 19:55
Well Done Whirly!!

1 step closer to the divinity of hovering!

I'll buy ya a drink if I make the Cardiff Bash!!

:) :) :) :)