PDA

View Full Version : The sanctimony of hindsight

shamwari123
1st Nov 2005, 15:52
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but even more so than the sea, is terribly unforgiving for any measure of carelessness, incompetence or neglect. — Unknown
A well used, but nevertheless interesting quote when considered in the light of Athol Frans account of his C172 accident.

When exactly did the critical error of judgement, that started the snowball effect occur, and why?
What would we have done different?

I believe that the most important question is, how many people would be debating the issue if Athol had elected to turn right and returned to Polokwane without further incident?

How many times has our carelessness, incompetence or neglect been forgiven?
How many potentially life saving skeletons do we have in our closets?

Too many "close shaves" go unreported these days because of the sanctimonious attitude we tend to adopt with the benefit of hindsight in the comfort of our living room.

Farmer 1
1st Nov 2005, 16:26
Let us all be thankful for Swiss cheese.

shamwari123
1st Nov 2005, 16:38
Farmer 1

This is exactly the type of sanctimonious attitude I'm talking about.
You are obviously in denial.

Farmer 1
1st Nov 2005, 16:44
Oh, dear,

Perhaps a little more thought of a more profound nature might be in order, may I suggest? And a revision of the meaning of the word, and to whom it may apply, perhaps?

George Tower
2nd Nov 2005, 05:49
Shamwari

I agree 100% with your sentiments. When confessing something we have done leads to condemnation the chances are we probably won't talk about minor things we get away with. Talking to most folk down the local flying club you'd have to swear they were all Chuck Yeagers. Humility is generally not a word we have in our vocabulary - sad but true.

LLFlyer
2nd Nov 2005, 06:05
Shamwari123

Well put and very true. The danger, however, is when we take that sanctimonious attitude into the cockpit and then take that cockpit into a marginal situation. Ring any bells?

shamwari123
2nd Nov 2005, 07:14
Reading some of the comments relating to incidents & accidents where the pilot's judgement is in question, I wonder if there is any relationship between the tone of the writer's comment and their personal attitude in the cockpit?

LLFlyer
2nd Nov 2005, 07:25
There is a difference between sanctimonious and forthright.

B Sousa
2nd Nov 2005, 12:10
INNKEEPER, another round of drinks and more women for my men.....We fly at dawn........

Robert Palmer
2nd Nov 2005, 12:31
mmmm.... Swiss cheese