PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else's cat have a severe 'wind' problem?

deltamike02
1st Nov 2005, 13:27
I got a couple of kittens a few months ago for the kids and having had cats before, I knew what I was letting myself in for.

However, the first few days of wind we put down to the fact that the previous owner had fed them cow's milk which you shouldn't really do. Beyond that we have changed their food to one of these 'complete' foods that is supposed to reduce the smells. Not much sign of that yet.

Anyway, I accept nature's need for this type of thing to happen. My previous cat had the odd escape of gas, nothing too horrendous though, but when these kittens 'let one go' (and that they do very often) there is one serious smell left hanging in the air for ages. :yuk:

Now, if it were me that caused the smell, I would be extremely proud to have produced such an impressive bodily odour, but at least I would be able to control the need to go whilst there were guests present. My cats don't have the same reserve.

Can anybody give me any ideas how to stop their constant farting? It's driving me mad.

DM :ugh:

Rollingthunder
1st Nov 2005, 13:30
Consulting a vet might be prudent.

Jerricho
1st Nov 2005, 13:33
That Rollingthunder.........he's one smart cookie :p

deltamike02
1st Nov 2005, 13:34
I took them to the vet, and sure enough right on cue one of them farted.

Vet looked a bit overcome with the smell but nevered offered a solution. :O

Dop
1st Nov 2005, 13:48
As my old Nan used to sing...
"Ta-rara-boomdeay
Our cat had trumps today
She blew the house away
Ta-rara-boomdeay"

Charcoal biscuits? I've heard of them being used for smelly dogs, might work on cats, but I'm no expert.

Ontariotech
1st Nov 2005, 13:54
I have a wind problem that I am sure my cat finds offensive.

tall and tasty
1st Nov 2005, 14:02
deltamike02

Diet is the possible cause as you have put them on a complete food try changing it if it is a semi dry or dry complete food as this can cause problems especially in young cats/kittens. Steer clear as you have of cow milk and if in doubt put them on a bland diet of white meat and fish mixed with some fish stock and rice and that should give their digestive tracks a chance to sort themselves out. I never liked the dry food for cats as they don't always drink enough to flush out their system. Fresh food is not a good option as it is missing an important additive that is killed by cooking. so the best thing to do mix dry and wet cat food together gives them something to crunch on and eat at the same time.

But if it persists go back to the vet and ask for some more advice hopefully as they grow older it will sort itself out

TnT

LuckyStrike
1st Nov 2005, 14:02
Maybe it is something to do with the food you are providing them with... reading a bit about "How a fart is born" might help :}

If all else fails, try installing a face mask to cat's bottom... This might solve the odor problem.

I'll ask my vet friends by the way

G-CPTN
1st Nov 2005, 14:03
Ventral gas (!) is presumably flavoured by the resident bacteria. Get FRIENDLY bacteria by feeding the culprit with live pro-biotic yoghurt. In excretia (sorry, extremis) a dose of anti-biotics FIRST should rid the little beggar of smelly farts. A good dose of laxative might do the trick too.

>If all else fails,
See if you can light them

Darth Nigel
1st Nov 2005, 14:06
What did the vet say? Once his eyes stopped watering, that is.

Biggles Flies Undone
1st Nov 2005, 14:07
Just get a dog :ok:

Whirlygig
1st Nov 2005, 14:30
When the now-sadly-departed Lusty Lister Sex Kitten was a kitten, he appeared to have a very bloated, almost distended stomach. So I took him to the vets. The vet squeezed his little tummy (he was only 8 weeks) and he farted and belched at the same time. She said, “ER, I think you’ll find it’s wind!” After that, we also called him “Chicago” as he was a Windy Kitty!

However, the vet recommended IAMS kitten food. He was one of those cats who just had a delicate constitution and he had to have either IAMS or Arden Grange for the rest of his life.

Cheers

Whirls

deltamike02
1st Nov 2005, 14:37
TnT/Whirly,

Thanks for your replies.

I've put them on IAM's kitten food 'cos I thought it was supposed to be the best for this problem but no improvement.

I'll give your suggestion a try, TnT, a see if it works. Hey, if it does I'll maybe give it a try myself!:O

Thanks

DM

P.S. I like your cat's names Whirlygig :ok:

diginagain
1st Nov 2005, 14:51
Just remember to keep Kitty away from naked flames.

Flatulent Long-haired Persian v Christmas candle = unbelievable smell.

B Fraser
1st Nov 2005, 15:12
I usually find that a champagne cork and a hammer does the trick ;) It does make it difficult to then blame the cat after a sneaky trouser-cough.

Q. How do you make a cat flap ?????

A. Chuck it out of the window

I know the drill......hat, coat, door

Dak Mechanic
1st Nov 2005, 15:23
The only cats I've owned with severe and antisocial wind had stomach infections, so really the vet should have given better advice (although that's possibly difficult while trying not to breath).

Currently got 2 Bengal kittens (well 16 months now) and despite a diet of soft cat food and raw chicken (and cheese, curry, avocado and anything else edible that isn't locked away) there have been no noteworthy gaseous emissions.

Go with TnT's advice - keep the food bland for a week to try to get rid of the bacteria causing the farts.

JC

tall and tasty
1st Nov 2005, 15:36
Just one other thought have you wormed them for round worm kitties need to be done every month.

TnT

Paterbrat
1st Nov 2005, 15:40
Lots of dogs in Kenya most vented. A succession of cats in Jeddah, none of them vented and the last of which came back to London and lived here before moving out with the eldest when he departed to be closer to Gatwick Rosie never farted ever, just shat on the pillow when left alone when they both had to fly and he/it was left with just the neighbors check for what he considered was too long. But gassy kittens, never came across that one. Hope the feminine advice, which seemed most practical, cures the probs.

chuks
1st Nov 2005, 16:02
Try worming it. That did the trick with 'Airspeed,' in one of the few cases of a foul wind coming from astern.

Wyler
1st Nov 2005, 16:06
We have a 10 week old kitten that farts. However, being a father of 2 daughters it is nice to have another 'bloke' around so I plan to do nothing. Takes the heat off me anyway. It's also very, very funny.

tilewood
1st Nov 2005, 16:08
Try crushing some charcoal tablets into their feed, this
can often help.

Paterbrat
1st Nov 2005, 16:38
If nothing else will filter wind.

colmac747
1st Nov 2005, 16:42
I don't know a cure, but you could make some financial gain out of this by hiring them out to the local circus...kids would love it!!:E

G-CPTN
1st Nov 2005, 16:51
>It's also very, very funny.

Depends on the animal's reaction. We had one dog that would jump-up and turn around and try to catch it :p
Another that totally ignored the event, apart from glancing at US as if to say 'Would you stop doing that.'

Paterbrat
1st Nov 2005, 16:52
They would of course have to be fitted with the odor sensing self igniters.