PDA

View Full Version : USAF introduces new training helicopter (incl picture)

Heliport
1st Nov 2005, 09:24
USAF Press Release

http://www.randolph.af.mil/images/rafb_banner.gif Air Force introduces new helicopter for pilot training

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas – The Air Force will rollout the TH-1H helicopter at the home of Pilot Instructor Training and Headquarters Air Education and Training Command on Nov. 5 in conjunction with the base’s 75th Anniversary and 2005 Air Show.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/TH-1H.jpg

The TH-1H, the latest version of the UH-1H Huey, has undergone an extensive refurbishment that includes upgraded components and a new avionics suite with a glass cockpit. Whereas the old helicopters were equipped with traditional round dial gauges for altitude, speed, etc., the glass cockpit takes the same information and displays the information digitally on a single monitor. Four of the original round dial gauges, however, remain in case there is a total failure of the new system.

According to Brig. Gen. Richard E. Perraut, Air Education and Training Command Plans and Programs director, “The TH-1H’s advanced electronics provide expanded training opportunities and improved operational capabilities by upgrading the engine, transmission and rotor system. It has the latest multi-function displays allowing for future upgrades and providing new aircrews with a seamless transition from the T-6 to a follow-on rotary wing aircraft such as the CV-22, Combat Search and Rescue-X and Common Vertical Lift Support Platform helicopters.”

The TH-1H is the newest of more than 15 variants of the original Huey first flown in 1956. By 2009 the Air Force is scheduled to have 24 TH-1H’s in the inventory which will sustain Air Force helicopter pilot training until 2025.

“The first TH-1H is undergoing testing and evaluation. We are projected to receive our first production aircraft in April 2007 with small group tryouts to follow,” General Perraut said. Small group tryouts will allow the instructors to develop and analyze the curriculum that will be used to train helicopter pilots on the new aircraft. “This is the first step to providing the platform and syllabus for the new students with the first class scheduled in the summer of 2007.”

NickLappos
1st Nov 2005, 11:19
New, Huh? And so am I :)

krobar
1st Nov 2005, 11:29
Beats training in a R22. And I had to pay for it myself.

Sambo Boy
1st Nov 2005, 12:00
Typical US Military overkill... must have had that general talk this deal over with some of the 'Good Ol Boys' at Bell Helicopter reminising how they did things back in Nam.:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Maybe with the money they could have saved from this deal if they bought a more cost efficent trainer (407 or 350) they might have had a bit left over to buy some more bombs for one of their peace keeping operations.

NickLappos
1st Nov 2005, 15:16
Sambo Boy,
The US has lots of money to spend on these things, we borrow a ton every year to be sure that we don't run out..............................

Steve76
1st Nov 2005, 15:37
I saw on discovery channel once upon a time, one of the bell line with some fancy computers that affected the aircraft handling to mimick other helicopter types.
I thought something like that would be prudent for a military training platform.
Keep borrowing money Nick, the rest of the world needs to lend it. :)

PANews
1st Nov 2005, 16:35
Five different models?

I say 6 ... the 427 [which limps on] should be added... it is very different to the 429 [uncludes a grass-cutter at the back].

Unless that was a typo and you addedd 429 in error....

NOT built even in prototype form.... and they promised the 427IFR at first launch and then again at HAI 2004 and 'lost' that within 12 months.

Ascend Charlie
1st Nov 2005, 20:10
How many *NEW* helicopters have stabiliser bars?

Does it come with *NEW* comfortable seats?

Don't see any strakes on the tailboom - do they not learn from other people's improvements? (although the strake might be on the other side - can't see.)

At least they have the flip-flop tail rotor of the 205/212.

If a car-maker tried this they would be out of business tomorrow. ("The *NEW* Studebaker Lark Cruiser! With drum brakes and pushrods! Just like your grandfather learnt on!")

B Sousa
1st Nov 2005, 20:49
OK, Maybe I missed it. Whos doing the refurb?? Bell?? or private contract. Looks like a 205A1 in sheeps clothing.
Or is this the all new( right) 210

Matthew Parsons
1st Nov 2005, 20:57
Steve 76,

Is this the Bell you saw on TV?

http://iar-ira.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/flight/flight_9b_e.html

http://iar-ira.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/photos/flr9b.jpg

You might have seen a different paint job on the 205, very similiar to that on the 412 ASRA.

I flew that last month. I think variable stability might have its uses in parts of military training, but most military pilots (all pilots) should be content to learn the handling qualities of the type they're given. But for learning to evaluate its an excellent tool.

Matthew.

remote hook
1st Nov 2005, 21:59
When will Bell produce something new, that people will actually buy??

2005 and they're still just adding pieces to ancient designs, I just don't get it. At least Eurocopter and Sikorsky seem to be trying, what's Bell's issue?

PANews
1st Nov 2005, 22:26
It can pay to re-invent.

Looking at the Eurocopter line or instance... the ancient AS350 is still there re-invented as the AS350 with added this and that and then re-constituted as the EC130....

The EC155 is little more than a very pregnant AS365 ...

The EC145 'just' a BK117 ....

etc, etc

Simplistic comments, but illustrating that just being old is not a crime...

When it boils down to it what is really new in the EC stable? EC135 and 120?

So perhaps it is a case of having flair and some just do not attract people to promote, sell and make a success of that flair...

Oogle
2nd Nov 2005, 10:25
PA - I disagree.

All the Eurocopter aircraft you mentioned above have improvements in the number of seats, range, payload and speed.

Oh yeah and they all look different!

On the other hand the Bell 205 looks identical to the Huey/ UH-1H, 210, etc.

PANews
2nd Nov 2005, 22:48
You misunderstand my point.

Although they are perhaps a decade younger than the original Bell products the basic AS350, 355 and 365 models date from over 30 years ago but, thanks to the flair in their initial design they have managed to keep attractive. Even the ancient Lama has more going for it than the 206 has now.

Give or take a few pounds here and there, the number of seats, range, payload and speed in the basic AS350/355 are the same now as they were 30 years ago. Ditto, BK117, 365, Puma, etc. It is just that the US customer was not 'introduced' to them until relatively recently when they twigged that they offered a better package [that as a bonus could now be built in the US because Europe was moving on].

It is not just Eurocopter though. Agusta and the 109.... when did that first fly?

The malais hitting Bell is that it is not that they have done nothing about modernising their lines in the past decade its that they have done nothing for over 40 years.

The fact that they see the AB139 as the 'co-operative' replacement for the B412 speaks legions.

7balja01
3rd Nov 2005, 00:55
so where's the picture?

Red Wine
3rd Nov 2005, 04:15
http://www.bellhelicopter.textron.com/images/429-750x250.jpg

Regards..Red.

delta3
3rd Nov 2005, 19:32
Does the NH-90 qualify as (really) new...

d3

Jack Carson
4th Nov 2005, 20:30
Two plus years to build, test, evaluate and field a 50 year old design. You have to love progress. One has to wonder how long it took Bell to perform the same functions on the original HU-1!