PDA

View Full Version : Makybe Diva

allan907
1st Nov 2005, 04:10
What a horse! Three consecutive wins of the Melbourne Cup. Never been done before.:ok: :ok:

PLovett
1st Nov 2005, 04:20
Fantastic effort.

Unfortunately it may just prompt the connections to keep racing her until she is killed, injured requiring euthenasia or crippled.

Far better she be retired to stud now.;)

tinpis
1st Nov 2005, 05:33
Tin had a cool $milllion on the nose.
She is being retired as of today.

In his victory speech after the race, owner Tony Santic that the mare was to be retired from racing immediately.

Kaptin M
1st Nov 2005, 06:17
Far better she be retired to stud now.A transgender horse....were the other competitors aware of that?

ZK-NSJ
1st Nov 2005, 06:31
never mind the fact the track people sprayed the equivilant of 3 inches of rain on the track to make sure she wouldnt be scratched
from the race

http://xtramsn.co.nz/sport/0,,12021-4971782,00.html

(an idiot i may be, but at least im not australian)

The Voice
1st Nov 2005, 08:29
oh come now .. it was for her AND a few other foreign raiders as well .. :hmm:

Good on the connections for giving the girl a break, I for one didn't think she could do it and I'm glad to have been proven wrong!

Binoculars
1st Nov 2005, 10:32
ZK-NSJ, I've always suspected you were a complete idiot. You've just proven it.

Kaptin M
1st Nov 2005, 10:59
And just for the uninitiateds, the name is pronounced

MA - KY- BE - DIVA
(MA - KY being BINOS' place of abode.

Does she overshadow Phar Lap?
Dunno - in usual "Alfred Hitchcock style", Phar Lap died a suspicious death. leaving all to wonder if "the horse with the big heart" would have eclipsed ALL previous records - leaving those that DIDN'T/HAVEN'T to the test of reality.

ORAC
1st Nov 2005, 11:10
Why are the antipodeans getting so carried away about a lump of mobile dog food? :confused:

Kaptin M
1st Nov 2005, 11:21
"Why are the antipodeans getting so carried away about a lump of mobile dog food?

The REST of the field probably will be exactly that, ORAC.
And considering (that) the contestants come from all 4 corners of the globe, to participate, it's gunna be top shelf stuff for the mutts.

p.s. The Kiwis and the Septics seem to try the hardest! :{ :{

Avtrician
1st Nov 2005, 11:24
She has been retired, now probly worth a fortune for breeding. Her foals would be a tad exy.

sprocket
1st Nov 2005, 11:30
In his victory speech after the race, owner Tony Santic that the mare was to be retired from racing immediately

More like "finally put to work" :}
I wonder what the female members of JB think of being retired to procreate? "Ooohh here comes another stud with a big d**k, oohh I'm getting fat again, oooh more stretch marks, oohh morning sickness again" :ugh: :E

ORAC
1st Nov 2005, 11:33
Hmmmm, English I see.....

"Makybe Diva came from England, where Tony bought an in-foal brood mare called Tugela at the Tattersall sale. The subsequent foal, a filly, failed to attract a bid at Newmarket, so Tony decided to bring her to Australia and eventually sent her to David Hall. Tony asked his staff at his Port Lincoln office to name the foal. The women took the first two letters of each of their Christian names and Makybe Diva was born—thanks to Maureen Dellar, Kylie Bascomb, Belinda Groske, Dianne Tonkin and Vanessa Parthenis."

Kaptin M
1st Nov 2005, 12:21
'Tis surely true!
That great southern land - AUSTRALIA - holds no restrictions on those who come to live there, and embrace that great country and climate as their own.
You have to live in her to truly appreciate what AUSTRALIA will freely give to you, to ENRICH your otherwise mediocre life, stifled by a miserable climate, and lack of space to move!

As Dorothea Mackellar penned last century:-
The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins,
Strong love of grey-blue distance
Brown streams and soft dim skies
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us,
We see the cattle die-
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold-
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land-
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand-
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Dorothea Mackellar

ORAC
1st Nov 2005, 12:23
That great southern land - AUSTRALIA - holds no restrictions on those who come to live there Only if you're a horse it seems. Maybe Charles could take Camilla........ :E

PilotsPal
1st Nov 2005, 13:47
Out of curiosity I took a look at Makybe Diva's pedigree. Plenty of classic winners (her sire won the Irish 2000 Guineas and Derby) down both lines and inbred 4x4 to Northern Dancer.

Must be very tempting for the connections to consider a visit to Montjeu at Coolmore in February.

Konkordski
1st Nov 2005, 15:22
Such a shame that this happened on the same day:

Triple Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Best Mate has collapsed and died after his run in Tuesday's William Hill Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter.

The much-loved horse, trained by Henrietta Knight seemed to be in some distress after being pulled up by jockey Paul Carberry.

PLovett
2nd Nov 2005, 01:57
When I originally posted I hadn't heard Tony Santic's post race comments. I am delighted to hear that she will be retired to stud (despite Kaptin M's pedancy the phrase is correct).

Far to many owners continue to flog a successful horse. The lure of money being far too great. :yuk: Konkordski's post shows the truth of that. :mad:

tinpis
2nd Nov 2005, 02:02
And long may Glen Boss continue on top of the horsey and not underneath it.:ok:

BAE146
2nd Nov 2005, 03:21
Hey, ZK-NSJ just a couple of minor points here.

1. If Flemington had 3 inches of rain on it the night before a race the whole meeting would have been scratched !

2. Why did the trainer of Xcellent wait until AFTER the race was run to start crying in his beer about watering the track down?

Wreaks of sour grapes to me. :{

Buster Hyman
2nd Nov 2005, 04:50
...A bunch of smelly old nags running around in circles...just like JB really!:} :ouch:

Nani
2nd Nov 2005, 06:10
:{ :{ :{

Google didn't turn up with any video of the race. I would have love to see the run.

Great horses are born but it takes great trainer/s to understand them.
50% breeding,40% training and 10% riding.

Obviously this young lady had all the right combination.:ok: :ok: :ok:

Binoculars
2nd Nov 2005, 07:55
Nani, Can't find a video of the whole race either, but in the link posted earlier by zk-nsj you'll find a news item with the video of the closing stages. Glen Boss is due his whole 10%, he has put in flawless rides in each of the three cup wins.

To the village idiot, if you're going to post sour grapes, at least get your facts right. The water applied to the track was the equivalent of 3mm, not inches.

henry crun
2nd Nov 2005, 08:10
Binos: I read that there were also some Ozzers whinging about the track being watered. :p

PS: I am of the same opinion as Orac about horse racing.

Binoculars
2nd Nov 2005, 09:00
You are 100% correct, henry, and they were all trainers of losing horses! ;)

In all seriousness, there is a valid point to be made, and I have grave doubts about what amounts almost to blackmail by the trainers of Vinnie Roe and more particularly Makybe Diva by threatening to withdraw their horses if the track wasn't to their liking.

Such is the multi-million dollar world of the racing business these days, but in this case, the end justifieth the means, and despite losing a few more hundreds on the day, the memory of the win will survive a lot longer than the financial losses or the carping by other trainers. It was a magic day for anybody who loves racing and horses.

ZK-NSJ
2nd Nov 2005, 09:03
i couldnt really care who won the race, us kiwis have had our fair share of wins (remember phar lap), i just feel they shouldnt doctor the track to suit one horse, its just like that hewitt loser who moans about how the aussie tennis people didnt set the court up in a way to suit him caus he was the home town boy,

henry crun
2nd Nov 2005, 09:31
Not entirely correct Binos, I was referring to the Aussie bookmakers who are not too pleased that the track was watered. :D

Binoculars
2nd Nov 2005, 13:25
Ahh yes, the bookies. Now what reason could they possibly have to be dirty, I wonder? :} It actually turned out to be less of a disaster than most were anticipating. Every Mum and Dad in Australia backed MB, but most of the professional punters stayed away, and the placegetters relieved the pressure for most of the bookies.

Nani
2nd Nov 2005, 15:21
Thanks for the video link tip Binos . Choked me up a bit.:ok:

Down boys,down. Admit that this young lady accomplished something that is far superior to the rest of the great horses within the race and be gracious about it. Keep in mind,race horses must be able to run under any condition unless the races are striked by the commitee,it wasn't like strip of water was poured under her hooves.

FWIW,the owner was absolutely right about retiring her immediately. Bringing her to this stage must have cost him around USD$ 5 million,why take chances for any type of injuires where it may sabotage her ability to carry her foals properly?

Heartfelt congratulations to the OZ folks for having such a wonderful beast residing in their continent. :)