PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in ghosts?

captain cumulonimbus
31st Oct 2005, 21:32
Well,do you?

I'll start off...after a very convincing episode that happened in my early childhood,i must say i believe there might be something.(we lived in a house my parents and neighbours insist was haunted),but since then i've not had any cause to believe.

Anyone have any interesting thing to add?

Capn Notarious
31st Oct 2005, 21:37
Working in theatre. Standing alongside a huge Rank Strand Follow spotlamp, feeling very hot. Then having the local temperature plummet to kin cold.
Later discovered that someone had died thereabouts.

Whirlygig
31st Oct 2005, 21:47
I used to work in an office in Farnham which was a converted Georgian House (used for the filming of Paul Temple for those of a certain age).

One night I was working late with a colleague and, as clear as clear can be, I heard footsteps coming up the large, Georgian staircase. I looked at my colleague and said that I thought we were the only two in the building. He confirmed that we were. So I replied that I heard footsteps on the stairs. He said, "Oh yes, I can hear her too. Don't worry about her; she's just the old servant girl going up to her quarters". No-one has ever seen her but several people in the office have heard her. Harmless enough apparently and bizarrely, not at all frightening or spooky.

Cheers

Whirls

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Farrell
31st Oct 2005, 22:00
Rank Strand Follow spotlamp

Ahhh the old limes........!!
Spent many a year up in the Gods myself - and can remember forgetting me gloves on a few nights too!!

Astrodome
31st Oct 2005, 22:05
I used to be responsible for managing train operations in Lincolnshire.

We had one signalbox in the Wolds where, every evening at 21 40 hours there would be the sound of footsteps on the stairs outside, and the door would open. No-one there however !

It was said that a signalman who had died on duty was returning for his next nightshift.

A true story.

rotorcraig
31st Oct 2005, 22:11
I once got stuck in a lift 'cos a ghost in a Sainsburys warehouse moved a load of roll pallets across the doors.

Apparently haunted by the ghost of a girl who died visiting her father's grave (before they bulldozed the graveyard and built the shopping centre there).

RC

Blacksheep
1st Nov 2005, 02:40
I ran a ghost over once, but I already related that story so I won't repeat it again. However...

When I was seven a ghost appeared in my bedroom. It was standing against the wall in the corner, just waiting for me to fall asleep so it could come and get me. I stared it out doggedly for hours. Then I heard footsteps on the stairs. The door creaked open and a shaft of light fell into the room. As it hit the ghost in the corner, the cunning devil disguised itself immediately as a dressing gown hanging on the hook by my Gran's bed. If Gran hadn't opened the door just then, Lord knows what might have befallen me! :ooh:

I've had a thing about dressing gowns ever since.

planepsycho
1st Nov 2005, 02:48
The last house I lived in had "something" in it, we didn't know what it was but we called it "Mary". The house was located on the edge of a very old family cemetery, according to city records there were about 70 unmarked graves in my back yard. Anyway, my kids would come in to my room asking me what I wanted....I never called them yet they swore they clearly heard their name being called, sometimes I heard them call me....but they didn't. Whatever it was didn't like anyone staying up late at night. Lightbulbs were constantly being blown....sometimes the day after I'd replaced them all. In one room I constantly heard muffled voices talking, although I was the only one home at the time. Pictures taken around the property or in the house had weird things in them when developed. After living there a couple of years I talked to the landlady, just casually asked her if anything strange had ever gone on in the house. She said "you've felt her too"....her mother "Mary" used to live there when she died. Well, at least we figured out who blew the bulbs when we stayed up late anyway.

Farmer 1
1st Nov 2005, 06:27
We have all read and heard of ghost stories. Some of us believe, some of us think it's utter nonsense, others think well - maybe. The fact remains, there are countless millions of ghost stories which are actually believed, perhaps because of personal experience.

The thing is, there does not exist one single authenticated photograph of a ghost.

Are they camera shy, do you think? Or maybe..?

RAC/OPS
1st Nov 2005, 09:18
Being a doggy type of person Iwill always pay more attention to them than people. Took my mother round the Cotswolds a few years ago and we stayed in a farmhouse B&B. Two Jack Russells and a Lab came to the car to greet us and I was fussing over them for a while. The owner of the B&B had come out too. Later in the evening the dogs were in the house but one JR was missing. I asked the lady where it was and she gave me a funny look. "There was only one. We used to have two but one drowned in the dam a year ago." Mum can only remember seeing one JR as well.

flugholm
1st Nov 2005, 09:52
I work at a former RAF airfield. As you all probably know, RAF airfields -- both active and non-active -- are the most haunted places in the world. :}
This one is the home of a ghost known as Herman the German. I've never met him in the flesh (?!) - yet.
But I've seen a few curious things, like places on the site where the dogs won't accompany you to, or street lights going out when you walk past them... :uhoh:

Anyway, my suggestion for further reading: "Aaargh!" by Bruce Barrymore Halpenny

And to answer the original question: No, I don't believe in ghosts.

ORAC
1st Nov 2005, 10:13
Nope. They're all aliens in disguise...... :ooh:

tall and tasty
1st Nov 2005, 10:40
Yes I believe in ghosts and yes I can add to the thread.

Went to buy a house about 9 years ago and walked into the master bedroom. It was cold as ice and I could not go into the room just had to leave, did not want to stay and found out the owner had died there. My daughter had a little blond haired boy jumping on here bed every night, I did not see him but she spoke to him alot. Apparently he had been killed outside the house in an RTA.

But the eeriest I can claim to was watching Red Indians, i don't know which tribe in the room in my brothers house in Florida walking through the room at night hunched over 2 males, young with weapons in their hands. Transpired where the house had been a battle had been fought and it was a bl00dy one.

The south pier gate 9/10 at EGKK gave me the total creeps and apparently is haunted I found out about it after I left dispatch.

But like my mother used to say it would be a waste of souls if some did not come back to make an impression and yes she had her fair share of sightings, especially as a child in the boarding school she was at. But walking through a grave yard at night does not really phase me strangley

TnT

lexxity
1st Nov 2005, 11:06
Stand 6 at MAN is haunted apparently. I've never seen anything down there, but one of my collegues has, and she is not the type given to flights of fancy.

I've never seen anything, but Mr L has. We had been together about a week and he came to my parents house. After going upstairs to the loo, he comes back into the living room and says "who is that man playing the piano in the hall?" There was only me and him in so I said "no one."

Anyway, he went on to describe the man sat there playing the piano and the piano stool he was sitting on. The piano stool hasn't been there for years because I broke it and the man he described was my grandad who died in the 70's!!!!

Konkordski
1st Nov 2005, 11:35
But walking through a grave yard at night does not really phase me strangley

It shouldn't - after all, hardly anyone actually dies in a graveyard.

G-CPTN
1st Nov 2005, 11:49
>hardly anyone actually dies in a graveyard.

Geordie was walking home from the pub through the graveyard when he fell into a freshly-dug grave, ready for the following day's burial.
He tried and he tried (and he double-tried) to climb out, but the sides were vertical and the grave too deep for him to reach the edge. He ran (as well as he could) and jumped as high as he could, but all to no avail, so he sat down in one corner, resigned to spend the night there until the gravediggers came to finish the preparations next day. He soon dozed-off, helped by the copious quantities of Brown Ale.
After some time he was woken by the sound of a scuffle, and became aware of another unfortunate who had likewise stumbled into the open hole. He watched the newcomer try to climb the vertical sides, before deciding to tell him that it was pointless. He was just tapping the other chap on the shoulder and clearing his throat when, unexpectedly the guy easily leaped high enough to reach the rim, scramble over and disappear into the darkness - without even bothering to help Geordie out!

tony draper
1st Nov 2005, 12:16
Cemetaries is where all the dead folk live.
:uhoh:

corsair
1st Nov 2005, 13:39
I was staying in my sister's old Victorian house in London. I woke up with a start at one point as if someone came into the room. I fell back asleep assuming someone had passed by the window outside in the street although it was a cul de sac. It happened over several nights. I really thought nothing of it.

Then one day another two other sisters and a brother in law mentioned a similar experience, so did my brother and several of my sister's friends. Essentially they felt that someone had come into the room from the kitchen in the middle of the night. No one had told anyone else about the experience until a family get together when it came up in conversation much to the surprise of my sister and disbelief of her husband.

Another time I was talking to a girl who lived on a farm. She mentioned how she frightened her sister's boyfriend by telling about the ghost in a farmhouse on the land. I laughed and said that a good joke. But she said it was no joke. She had seen it herself several times. A woman in old fashioned clothes walking down a corridor and entering a room. She was really quite matter of fact about it.

As someone said you never see ghosts in graveyards or rarely anyway. That's because by the time you get to the graveyard you are already dead and ghosts seem to be an image of people when they were still alive.

Perhaps there is a scientific explanation. Maybe in a certain set of circumstances an image is recorded to be replayed when the circumstances are right again. In theory it should be possible for a person to be alive and yet still exist as a ghost. If you think that's impossible, take a look at your television sometime. Lots of dead people appear there all the time as images.

I think ghosts exist but are not some ethereal spirit just a recorded image of a person who passed that way once. Few people interact with ghosts, mostly they just see them and the ghost seems to repeat itself over and over again in a loop.

Somehow I think if ghosts were treated as some sort of scientific phenomenon and investigated properly by people other than usual loonies or daft TV programs maybe something can be proved.

Paterbrat
1st Nov 2005, 16:47
Chap on a course with me mentioned at breakfast having woken to see the third member of our course standing in his room in uniform soaking wet and with a 'funny face' and seemingly unable to speak, had stood there for a moment then left/dissapeared. I had been rung that night by flight following to inform me that the third member's a/c was overdue into Greenland.
A/C found a week later crashed on a hilltop, in the cockpit, in a snowdrift strapped into their seats where the crew. The Captain and third member of the course who never showed up was almost completely intact except for a severe dislocation of his lower jaw.

Massey Man
1st Nov 2005, 18:54
interesting article in nuts magazine this week.

showing pictures of apparent ghosts.

doubt the pictures were ral somehow. But who knows what really goes on :bored:

Paris Dakar
1st Nov 2005, 19:06
I lived in Glenlivet for a short time in the mid 80s.

We made friends with a local couple who lived a few miles up the road from us. My girlfriend and I were invited to their cottage and we had a wonderful meal cooked for us.

During dinner the host asked 'what I thought of spirits' - I replied that I preferred beer actually but a single malt would hit the spot nicely. 'No' he said 'not that type of spirit - ghosts' I looked at him and just laughed, stating that I was a non-believer.

He asked if I could see anything standing next to me? I said no, but all of a sudden I felt very cold and very uneasy - I'm not easily scared but I was actually petrified. He said 'don't be alarmed - the spirit is a good fellow'. Girlfriend and I ate our food at double quick pace, and beat a hasty retreat to our home. Though nearly 20 years ago now, I can remember that evening as if it were yesterday.

The host incidentally was a man of the cloth, who was moving to a church in Aberdeen.

captain cumulonimbus
1st Nov 2005, 22:19
walking into one of the towers along the outer wall of the Tower of London a few years back i felt an incredible unease/cold feeling.Couldn't bring myself to actually enter.

Also,my mother (quite sensitive) was walking near St Katharine's Dock when she felt the hair on back of her neck rise,followed by a shoving feeling from behind,but she was alone,apart from my dad and i who were next to her.

We were staying for a week in an apartment in Bayswater a few years back,and it just felt really uncomfortable,like one was being watched...lights going on/off,footsteps,intercom going on when the security camera showed nobody outside.Turns out i later read that most of that street had been bombed out in WW2,as well as having been situated within meters of a gallows site...:eek:

tony draper
2nd Nov 2005, 00:01
Hmmm, perhaps a better question would be what do you think Ghosts are? as a phenomenon they seem real enough, bit like flying saucers, to many intelligent sensible people have seen and reported both for there not to be something in it, unfortunatly rather like the UFO thing, many more nutters than sensible folk flock to the subject.
Personely? one has seen neither, do I believe ghosts are dead people come back for some reason?,no,no more than I believe flying saucers are alien controlled craft from another Planet.
Do they exist?,as a phenomena yes,but wither the phenomena, I int got a clue.
:cool:

Foss
2nd Nov 2005, 00:06
Was out shooting bunnies once with a mate when the rain started to bucket it down, so we took shelter in a deserted farmhouse that we had the key of.

Standing in the hall way the two dogs, big brave Rhodesian Ridgebacks, starting staring and growling at the corner of the empty hall. Very scary indeed, and both me and my mate looked at each other.

Turns out the owner had died in the hall. Didn't go back in there much.

Ridgebacks are crap for shooting with, but they needed the exercise

There's also a lot of people say they've been stopped by a ghost army patrol/checkpoint near the spot in Newry where 18 were killed in a bomb in the 70's.

Flash0710
2nd Nov 2005, 07:42
Check out this car ad.

They never released it as the producers felt a presence during filming.......

Look carefully as it comes out of the trees about half way through......

Car ad (http://www.k-fee.com/fileadmin/video/KFEEAUTO.MPG)

Can't see it meself.......

F.

Ozzy
2nd Nov 2005, 13:12
Ridgebacks are crap for shooting with Agreed. A 12 guage is much more useful:E:E

Ozzy

Clare Prop
2nd Nov 2005, 13:30
Grew up in a spooky place, there were some areas where the dogs and horses wouldn't go near. No cats would come anywhere near the place. Apparently the place had a curse on it, that no-one lived there more than 20 years or had more children when they lived there. It came exactly true with our family, the one before us and the one that lived there after us. Never saw a ghost there but sometimes felt very cold suddenly and there were noises and shadows that couldn't be explained. Brrrr!!!!

Few years ago I was going through a hard time of things. My grandmother came and sat on my bed, smiled and siad everything would be OK now, then got up and left. She'd been dead for five years. (things did turn out OK very soon after). When she was alive she was always seeing ghosts and her house was full of poltergeists, even though ( or perhaps because) she was very very religious. My mum had a kindly monk ghost she used to sit with in the garden when she was a kid, no-one else ever saw him but the house had been a monastery many years before.

Anyone else get poltergeists? Very annoying and can really make you jump, you get tired of putting pictures back on the walls, putting the phone back on the hook, and finding ordinary things in really stupid places.

As for guardian angels, or some kind of protective spirit - definately some truth in that. Lots of stories there but dont want to hijack the thread.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

ShyTorque
2nd Nov 2005, 13:37
Being an agnostic dyslexic, I don't believe in goats. Or doG.

Seriously though, my father worked in a haunted three storey furniture shop for many years. The shop became quite infamous among the staff of the owner's chain of similar shops in Derbyshire in the 1960 and 1970s.

I had one frightening and still unexplained experience in there as a teenager, so did many other folk. The "presence" or whatever supposedly caused the trouble, was known as Old Tom, after a man, surname Hazlewood, who had lived in part of the shop, on the third floor, in the 1930s. Tom was knocked down by a coach and killed on the A6 outside the shop door, crossing back from the pub opposite. The "trouble" consisted of things such as heavy footsteps stopping at the head of the stairs when all those present turned to see who was climbing them, a visible sighting of an apparition of an old man by a customer, a heavy chair levitating, being moved back to its original place by the old cleaning lady, only for it to levitate again and scare the poor old dear half out of her wits, a table lamp thrown violently sideways off a shelf and being dashed to the floor ten feet from three salesmen, unexplained loud noises, a single lit window inexplicably seen from outside when ALL the windows on that floor were lit by the same fluorescent lighting setup.

This sort of thing went on over a period of quite a few years but occurrences had become less common, only eerily to begin again immediately after the old man's wife had died. Incredibly, her body was in the morgue of a funeral director's fifty yards away. My father knew the funeral director himself very well, having been best friends at school. They were astounded by the "coincidence".

During that "active" time, the previously totally sceptical shop manager, an ex WW2 paratrooper, was shoved very violently from behind by an unseen hand whilst locking up the shop one night, (he wasn't the first or the last). After that they always used to double up to go to the third floor to switch the lights off!

Activity became less common again until just before my father retired in the early 1990s. The affected part of the building was being converted to offices when "poltergeist" activity resumed after builders opened up an old disused staircase that led from an external door on the street to the third floor (it had been Tom's access to his flat). They then tried to close off an old doorway that was in the corridor beyond it, in order to prevent dust blowing through onto the furniture for sale. A two by two wooden frame and a polythene curtain was shattered and shredded, twice, overnight on two consecutive saturday nights whilst the shop was deadlocked, barred and bolted. On both occasions my father, who was by then the manager, was at home with the only set of keys. He hadn't been to the shop after the keys were delivered to him at home by the builder himself after he finished for the night. The builder called back the following day to collect the keys again, only to return a short time afterwards after discovering shards of wood and plastic sheet spread all around the third floor.

An investigation was carried out, because it was assumed to be vandalism or a burglary. It wasn't, all possible access points were locked and barred and nothing else was disturbed. When it happened the second time in identical circumstances, my father questioned the builders, who said that other unexplained stuff had happened while they were working there. They became VERY scared and refused to work in there after dark.

The furniture business has been long sold and has been replaced by a gas showroom. My father, who died last year told me that those offices have NEVER been occupied for the purpose intended and are now only used for storage.

Weird, but all true.

(I have another slightly "weird" story that occurred in my own house the day after my father passed away and I'm still not sure what to make of it).:ooh:

Double Echo
2nd Nov 2005, 13:56
Shy Torque,

you must be the fella that walked into a Bra??

Tee Hee

ShyTorque
2nd Nov 2005, 14:00
Yes, but as there were a couple of complete t!ts in there I walked out again. ;)

WeatherJinx
2nd Nov 2005, 15:06
My father had what he believes was a brush with the supernatural many years ago. A truck driver (and a man not given to flights of fancy), he was driving on a remote moorland road in Scotland one evening, about 40 miles from his final destination; it was dark and the weather was windy, with driving rain.

As he was driving along, he recalls seeing someone walking up the side of the road, towards him on the driver's side. Aware of how off-the-beaten-track this road was, he concluded that the person was probably a driver in distress and, being the kind hearted guy he is, slowed down to see if he could offer assistance.

As he drew closer, the first thing he noticed was that this person was not dressed in everyday clothes, but in a frock coat, tri-cornered hat and dark shoes with large buckles. He guessed perhaps 17th/18th century as the period of dress. He rationalised this by thinking that it was probably someone on their way to a fancy-dress party or perhaps an am-dram actor, with car trouble.

He pulled up just a couple of metres past this poor soul, and made to get out of the cab to offer help - as he did so he glanced at the driverís side mirror and saw the man turn towards him. The face was completely featureless.

He says he never slammed the pedal to the metal so hard in his life to get out of there. I think he only ever told Mum and I about it and any time we get him to recount the tale, or discuss it, you can clearly observe that he remains disturbed by the experience to this day.

:uhoh: :uhoh:

tall and tasty
2nd Nov 2005, 16:17
"weird" story that occurred in my own house the day after my father passed away and I'm still not sure what to make of it

had a similar 3 days before my father died playing on a board I would never recomend to anyone. It basically spelt out what came true

The day he died infact the moment he died, I had a strange experience
TnT:(

Krystal n chips
2nd Nov 2005, 16:42
I may be hard nosed and cynical in relation to our society etc, but am a firm believer in the supernatural--for want of a better description. Too many encounters over the years, including the presence many times of my paternal grandmother--although I have never seen any physical shape---many experiences in both RAF and Civil Airfields / Airports and elsewhere. Guardian angels ? well not too sure about this aspect but certainly there have been times when somebody was certainly looking after me or I would not be posting now. I have also encountered the other side--evil--- and believe me it does exist--and that was very scary.

As for people who use "that" board--well, they do so at their own risk I'm afraid. There are "more things" etc than we understand and frankly I don't give a rats if people wish to ridicule my beliefs given that I know what I have experienced and encountered over the years and will doubtless continue to.

Ronaldsway Radar
2nd Nov 2005, 17:17
Experienced a few things myself, once as a kid, about 6/7, once when a bit older, around 12/13.

Not going to explain what happened, but for people that have experienced something, they know what they saw, and they have their beliefs, as I have mine.

There's some things that just aren't meant to be found out ;)

RR

captain cumulonimbus
2nd Nov 2005, 22:25
Interestingly,i was reading just today about the history of the land around Heathrow and how it used to be open moorland,infested with highwaymen.Apparently there are loads of ghost stories linked with the area and the local pubs in particular.

Would be interesting to hear if others have heard this too,and what exactly the stories are,as the booklet gave no details...

Astrodome
3rd Nov 2005, 20:06
I recall reading some time back a story concerning an incident that occurred to a ship at sea.

Apparantly two men died (I can't remember the reason) on board and were given a burial at sea.

Apparantly after that occurred, their faces were seen in the waves and followed the ship for some time.

I recall that there is a photograph, clearly showing the men's faces.

I am sure Mr. D. will be able to spread more light on the subject.

meanwhile I shall indulge in a spot of googling !

Astrodome
3rd Nov 2005, 21:33
Found it !
Ghosts of the SS Watertown
James Courtney and Michael Meehan, crew members of the S.S. Watertown, were cleaning a cargo tank of the oil tanker as it sailed toward the Panama Canal from New York City in December of 1924. Through a freak accident, the two men were overcome by gas fumes and killed. As was the custom of the time, the sailors were buried at sea off the Mexican coast on December 4.

But this was not the last the remaining crew members were to see of their unfortunate shipmates. The next day, before dusk, the first mate reported seeing the faces of the two men in the waves off the port side of the ship. They remained in the water for 10 seconds, then faded. For several days thereafter, the phantom-like faces of the sailors were clearly seen by other members of the crew in the water following the ship. On arrival in New Orleans, the ship's captain, Keith Tracy, reported the strange events to his employers, the Cities Service Company, who suggested he try to photograph the eerie faces. Captain Tracy purchased a camera for the continuing voyage. When the faces again appeared in the water, Captain Tracy took six photos, then locked the camera and film in the ship's safe. When the film was processed by a commercial developer in New York, five of the exposures showed nothing but sea foam. But the sixth showed the ghostly faces of the doomed seamen. The negative was checked for fakery by the Burns Detective Agency. After the ship's crew had been changed, there were no more reports of sightings.

Link to photographs of ghosts (http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa102102b.htm)

Nick Riviera
3rd Nov 2005, 22:00
Had a couple of experiences when younger, but the weirdest was after my grandad died when I was 22. We were at my parents' house for the wake when my mum went to fetch something from my grandad's car, which was parked outside. She came back in and told me she couldn't open the car door. I went outside and tried but also had no luck. Several people then attempted this with the same result. We all joked about how my grandad was playing a trick on us; it was just the sort of thing he'd have found funny. First thing next morning, I went outside and the door opened no problem at all.

wingman863
3rd Nov 2005, 23:02
This video shows what is apparantly a "ghost." Looks very real and has been said by various experts to be free from computer adjustment. Really did make me think for a minute whether I had been too quick to write off the whole ghost thing although I've never had an experience myself.

Video (http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2004/august/ghost_car_ad.mp4)

RJM
4th Nov 2005, 00:57
:} :} :} If there are ghosts, I'm Ned Kelly.

Bear in mind that no-one has ever provided any proof that anything supernatural has ever happened.

Off-Black
4th Nov 2005, 10:43
My only remotely 'supernatural' experience is thus:

This was around 1999. I was a student at the time, and studying for exams at home, alone, in the mid afternoon. The house was quiet. I heard someone walking down our hallway from the lounge/front door end of the house to the kitchen/my room end. As the footsteps passed my doorway I looked up and saw a shadow go past the doorjamb (the door being half closed) as the steps progressed into the kitchen and stopped. Thinking it was my sister come home early from work I thought nothing of it and went back to my books. After a few minutes I hadn't heard any more noises, so I thought I'd get up and say hello. The house was empty. I looked in every room and found no-one. All the windows were closed and doors were locked. I found this slightly disturbing and odd, but didn't feel otherwise upset at all by my apparent visitation. After a few minutes pondering "what the hell?" I resumed my study.

I should point out the floorboards in my family home make very distinctive noises when walked on, and only when walked on, and I have never heard those noises reproduced by any other means such as wind or heating. I didn't have a radio or TV on, and definitely hadn't heard any doors being unlocked or opened or closed, which in that house are also quite loud and distinctive.

I also heard a child laughing in a bedroom of my flat once, with no apparent explanation.

Some friends of mine had their neighbours ask who was making so much noise in their flat, when they had been out at the time (unbeknownst to the neighbours). Apparently loud thumps and bangs heard through the shared wall when the flat was empty were quite commonplace, although my friends never experienced anything directly. The next tenants (known to my friends) did experience the noises and actually had the place exorcised.

Another friend who is a nurse, and very down to earth, rational, logical, skeptical, atheistic and scientific, definitely not the sort you'd expect to believe in this sort of thing, relates experiences of hauntings in her former workplace (an elderly care hospital) without batting an eyelid.

On the other hand, the highway I travel to work every day is supposed to be haunted, but I have never experienced anything odd in five years of travelling it, often at night.

So to answer the question, I believe in ghosts, but also that they have a rational explanation that just happens to be beyond our present range of knowledge.

ShyTorque
4th Nov 2005, 11:09
"So to answer the question, I believe in ghosts, but also that they have a rational explanation that just happens to be beyond our present range of knowledge."

My thoughts exactly. Like a TV station being transmitted but you don't hear it because you are to busy scanning other channels. Maybe once in a while you get a slight glimpse of a picture or hear a sound while you are passing through.

Two coincidences just happened to me today. First, I read something about someone known by an unusual shortened form of a Christian name. Having read it, I immediately set off in my car. Two minutes later, I notice a brand new advertising sign at the side of the road - the company has exactly the same name.

Second, someone rang me on my mobile this morning. This person is saved as a contact in my address book with three initials that coincidentally form the last 3 of the ICAO for the closest airfield to me. I finish the call, open up this website and the first new post I see has the same three initials at the bottom of their post. Different person. Weird or what?

Should I buy a lottery ticket? Or wear a crash helmet? :uhoh:

noisy
4th Nov 2005, 12:21
When I was a student on my first night in the student house I heard distinct footsteps crossing the room above from the window to the door. Apart fom me the house was empty and I instantly concluded that we had an intruder. I quietly went and armed myself with a broomstick. (how about calling the cops?? where does your commonsense go in these situations?!)
Needless to say, the door was locked and when I went outside and looked up, the window was sealed.

I managed to ascertain that the window had been shut during the time my flatmate was away.
I lived in that house for another 3 months and never heard the same thing again. I wasn't able to explain away the sounds I had heard.
It was an uncomfortable building to live in.