PDA

View Full Version : Should bluebird be restored?

lexxity
31st Oct 2005, 12:44
Should Donald Campbells historic crash wreck be restored or should his daughter sink it back to the bottom of Coniston?

Full article here Bluebird (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4391702.stm)

Personally I think it should be displayed as is with the full story behind the machine and Donald Campbell at Coniston.

VitaminGee
31st Oct 2005, 13:15
I would tend to agree - display as is. However, an externally faithful replica of Bluebird in one piece displayed in the same exhibit would enhance the overall effect IMO.

VG

Rainboe
31st Oct 2005, 13:43
Agreed. As is with a replica. It will remind people the sacrifice DC made in the cause of his quest. The daughter is making a misjudgement.

tall and tasty
31st Oct 2005, 14:00
I can see her reasoning behind why have it restored to its former glory, then maybe some of the terrible memories for her will not be there on display.

Personally I think it should be kept as it is but not on public display that should be a replica and photos of the wreckage shown so people can see what Donald achieved and how he died achieving it.

My father made a scaled replica he raced when we were little and just the fun of watching her on the lakes was thrilling. The stories that come from watching him build it and telling us about the end were enough for me. I don't think I want to see the actual hull in a cabinet

TnT

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 14:03
Hmmm quote 'The daughter is making a misjudgement.' all a judgement call isn't it. ;)

It is a part of history, but also a piece of a grave site as well.

B Fraser
31st Oct 2005, 14:03
Either leave the shattered wreck on display as it was recovered from the bottom of the lake or carry out a full restoration to working order. I would prefer to see her back on the water, screaming along at 150 mph as a living tribute to Donald, Leo Villa and the rest of the team.

By asking that the boat be restored with some damage left for effect shows that the Heritage Lottery Fund haven't a clue what DC and Bluebird were all about.

phoenix son
31st Oct 2005, 14:17
Leave it as it is, display the wreck or not at all...

R4+Z
31st Oct 2005, 14:21
People talk about significant events in thier lives and to me this was my first. I will always remember hearing of the tragedy and then the mystery of the complete disappearance of the wreck.

Like the Titanic it should have been left to rest. If they wanted a display they should have built a copy.

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 14:23
+ a shed load of money to just put in a glass case or on display.

spekesoftly
31st Oct 2005, 15:52
Seem to recall that the recovery of Bluebird was controversial from the beginning, especially with the surviving family members.

The future of K7 is understandably a very emotive issue for Donald Campbell's daughter, but threatening to "bury it in concrete", or "flog it on eBay", if she can't have her way, seems a tad extreme. It would be tragic to see it sold, and subsequently befall the same fate as the Blackpool Vulcan.

I'll try to watch tonight's TV interview with Gina, for perhaps a better understanding.

G-CPTN
31st Oct 2005, 16:12
I recall the attempt and the tragedy vividly. I KNOW that Bluebird was 'destroyed' in the incident, and the fact that Donald was lost makes it insensitive to rebuild it (IMO) but, having recovered it, I believe that it could be put on display and more folk would pay to see it than a restored 'replica'. By all means build a replica (hollow moulding) to show those who didn't know what it looked like, but I would respect the wreck far more than a rebuilt BB.
The same applies to Parry Thomas' Pendine Sands machine Babs . . .

Even when Donald was alive, the family was far from agreed on everything . . .

African Tech Rep
31st Oct 2005, 20:14
The very LAST thing that should happen is a partial rebuild.

Leave as is next to an exact replica or fully rebuild with LOTS of pictures Ė but donít do a half a***d job.

Maude Charlee
31st Oct 2005, 20:34
Wonder if she'll get charged with fly tipping if she sinks it back in the lake?

Farrell
31st Oct 2005, 20:35
I wonder does Richard Branson ever pprune?
Maybe he could help with funding the project.
From one speed record breaker to another.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
31st Oct 2005, 20:43
I saw Bluebird twice when I was kid - once on her trailer in the car park of a local hotel, and once at an exhibition somewhere in or near Manchester (could have been Belle Vue). Would have been late 1950s. I remember the lovely deep blue colour, and the Union Jack decals on the floats.

I'd love to see it in one piece again.

SSD

tony draper
31st Oct 2005, 21:02
I think some work muist have already been done on it, it looked a lot more complete on todays news clip than I recal it was when it was first pulled from the lake.
Not sure what they should do truth to tell,seems a bit daft just to chuck it back in the lake though,it would probably be stripped bare by skin divers in a couple of years.
:cool:

acbus1
1st Nov 2005, 05:47
No brainer......leave it as it is.

What a dim idea to restore the original......sheeeesh! :rolleyes:

If someone wants to see a pristine new one, then build one from scratch.

Build a replica and you could then have a display of both, side by side, labelled "Before" and "After"

(sorry, couldn't resist) :E

acbus1
1st Nov 2005, 17:05
.............after which post, the thread sinks faster than Campbell.

Something I said? :uhoh:

Paris Dakar
1st Nov 2005, 18:28
IMHO, Bluebird should be left as it is - a tribute to a very brave man.

A replica wouldn't cost mega-bucks to build - what about the one they used in the film 'Across The Lake' (starring Anthony Hopkins)? Looked pretty like the real thing to my totally untrained marine eye.