PDA

View Full Version : JCB (incl first S-76C++ to Europe)

Slotty
18th Oct 2003, 18:16
Saw the JCB Helicopter being loaded onto a truck at Cranfield, anyone know what happened, heard it was a hard landing??:confused:

gonedeaf
18th Oct 2003, 18:40
Guess thats why Starspeed`s SK76 and Bell 222 have been flying into the JCB factories a few times this week.

pitchlink
18th Oct 2003, 19:26
I think it had a tailstrike and creased the tail.

magbreak
18th Oct 2003, 23:25
close Pitchlink. It did crease the tail but I don't think it hit the tail. Heavy landing during training.

zalt
21st Oct 2003, 01:06
How many s76Bs do JCB have?

ppheli
21st Oct 2003, 13:14
They have one 76B and one 76C+, based out of their own hangar at East Midlands along with a Gulfstream V jet.

zalt
22nd Oct 2003, 04:21
They are having a bad time of it then - their S76B apparently is suffering from the old bogey of pylon cracks.

MK10
2nd Jul 2005, 08:26
noticed in press/journal yesterday 1st july
JCB are looking for S76 crew.

mk10

Upland Goose
2nd Jul 2005, 09:14
Well spotted MK10!

JCB are "digging around" for new, keen, faces.

See "150 hrs / Instrument Rating" related thread.

;)

Art E. Fischler-Reisen
2nd Jul 2005, 11:34
Morning Mr. Upland Goose,

I hope the company have got permission from the "local Rotorheads experts" ... ;)

helicopter-redeye
2nd Jul 2005, 14:12
I voz vundering how long it vould take before ....

Heliport
31st Oct 2005, 07:47
JCB is adding to its S-76 fleet with an order for an S-76C++, shceduled for delivery in September 2006.
This marks the first planned delivery of an S-76C++ into the European market.

Captain Steve Hogarth, JCB Chief of Operations - Aviation says: "The new aircraft will be equipped with the Quiet Main Gearbox and Early Ground Proximately Warning System (EGPWS). We plan on upgrading our current S76C+ in the near future to these improved items as well."

-----------

Sikorksky S-76s have accumulated more than 4 million flight hours, and delivery of the 600th aircraft in the series is scheduled for later this year.

A new S-76D model will launch in 2008 offering additional product improvements including a new composite main rotor blade, new quiet tail rotor, RIPS that will provide ability to launch into known icing conditions, a new cockpit with an integrated avionics system designed to the latest US and European requirements, and a new P&W Canada PW210 engine.

ambidextrous
31st Oct 2005, 09:13
It's gratifying to see that JCB as a "leading edge" company are prepared to invest in up-to date technology for their fleet.
This contrasts strongly with the complacency evident in the composition of the present North Sea fleet.
Where you can still find creations of Igor flying in the Southern North Sea without even the benefit of an auto-pilot i.e. no altitude or heading hold., no flight director nor a moving map display. As for the crew seats, well.......................... :mad:
With fraternal greetings, ambi

Whirlygig
31st Oct 2005, 10:00
Yes, but Sir Anthony has more money than his wife knows what to do with whereas the North Sea operators don't!

And it ain't all roses in that corporate world!

Cheers

Whirls

ambidextrous
31st Oct 2005, 10:21
Whirls,
Then the N.Sea operators should up their rates, stop cutting one another's throats & improve their negotiation skills. I believe I'm correct that the offshore drilling companys have all raised their rates by a considerable amount in the past year, if they can achieve an increase so can the rotary operators. It's still a fact that the overall transportation bill for the majors i.e. ships, aircraft, helis amounts to less than 5% of their operating revenue.
with fraternal greetings, ambi

Whirlygig
31st Oct 2005, 10:31
But you are not comparing like with like.

I'm not saying that North Sea operations are not open to improvement but that JCB and Sir A can afford to run a fleet for his own and business purposes because of the very different nature of his company.

It would be like comparing a chauffer-driven Rolls with a local mini-cab business.

I know that analogy may sound harsh and I do agree with you 100% on what you say about North Sea ops but they are two totally different operations; each with their downsides. I don't have any experience of North Sea but I think I would rather that than .....

Apologies to UG & Art E.

Cheers

Whirls

332mistress
31st Oct 2005, 10:58
ambidextrous

What is there flying in the S N Sea that doesn't have a heading or alt hold? Even the old 365Ns have that.

332M

TeeS
31st Oct 2005, 12:19
Go easy on the "Old" 365Ns 332Mistress, they were state of the art when some of us were on them! :D

TeeS

ambidextrous
31st Oct 2005, 13:17
332M,
S76A+ operating out of an unlicensed grass airstrip not a million miles from Great Yarmouth!

Whirlygig
31st Oct 2005, 13:34
Ambi,

Sorry but surely that "unlicenced" grass strip IS licensed as that is where I did my qualifying cross-country a couple of years ago and, to be valid for my licence, I had to land at a Licenced Airfield.

Have to say thanks though to the guys there as they were very hospitable and plied me with tea. Mind you, that's not surprising given the landing fee was £49.50!!!

Cheers

Whirls

pitchlink
31st Oct 2005, 13:56
Hi Whirls,

Then you best give your licence back as it may be invalid!!! The grass strip you refer to (the one near Yarmouth dog track), is at present, and always has been UNlicenced.

To 332M, all CHC 76A+ aircraft flying in the UK at present are not equipped with any autopilot to speak of, just a basic AFCS. But one aircraft does have phase 3 which gives you a very rudimentary headin and hight hold capability. :ok:

Whirlygig
31st Oct 2005, 14:17
Pitchlink,

I've sent you a private message as I'm sure other rotorheads would much rather hear about Sir Anthony's new toy!

Cheers

Whirls

ambidextrous
31st Oct 2005, 16:46
Sorry Slotty for having hijacked(7500)your thread, I'll leave you to talk about JCB's new toy & continue my rant on another thread.
Regards, ambi

212man
1st Nov 2005, 02:23
Just to bring some pedantry to the topic; the E in EGPWS stands for Enhanced, not Early!

(332M, Most of the 76 A+s operated from Norwich and Den Helder are also AFCS only, too)

332mistress
1st Nov 2005, 08:47
Thanks for the info - didn't realise that a "modern" helicopter working in the N Sea could be so lacking in the basics. Would have thought that after the Scilly S61 crash that the oil companies would insist on at least a height hold. Even the good old Wessex had a height hold!!

332M

Whirlygig
1st Nov 2005, 09:22
...and I'm always up for a bit of pedantry...

The P in EGPWS stands for Proximity not Proximately!! Perhaps Heliport's Secretary couldn't read his writing!!

Cheers

Whirls

Heliport
1st Nov 2005, 09:33
It's a straight quote from the Press Release - thought it was funny so I left it - in quotes.

:)

H

Whirlygig
1st Nov 2005, 10:06
Oops! - that is funnier!! :O

Cheers

Whirls

H - I thought your secretary would be more efficient than that! What? You don't have a secretary!!

Heliport
1st Nov 2005, 10:46
Secretary?
Que? :confused:

:D

ambidextrous
3rd Nov 2005, 09:59
Sorry Slotty & Whirls,
Couldn't resist one last bite at this particular cherry.

332M-Remember that the oil companies only pay for safety when they're forced to by regulation, never forget Piper 'A'! Their advisors are outwardly at least, reactive & not proactive, they have their corporate careers to think about after all.Remember also that oil co. execs. travel in state of the art jets & not 20+ year old "low tech" helicopters almost exclusively reserved for their largely contract staff.

212Man-Now you're on the other side of the fence perhaps you'll be in a better position to influence a drive for improved eqpt. in the UK sector. With the introduction of performance standards to take place by 2010 there exists the opportunity to replace current out-dated eqpt. I forsee a rush to obtain exemptions prior to that date though?
Where is the drive for increased levels of automation & reduction of pilot workload?
Where is the "paperless" cockpit, much talked about ten years ago. All the available info is stored within IHUMS, why isn't full use of this technology being made.?
Mandatory annual SIM checks are still not industry wide & are dependant on oil.co. largesse/whim at the time of contract bid.

A parting observation- As reported in the FT, Chevron/Texaco share buybacks this week could have renewed the entire UK helicopter fleet & still have returned money to shareholders. But in this country "shareholder value" is the only mantra the suits pay attention to.

Mars
3rd Nov 2005, 12:34
Ambidextrous:

I'm appalled by your lack of knowledge of the offshore industry in the North Sea and investment by the oil companies; in the immediate past you have seen new helicopters from BP, the tender and award (for new helicopters) by Shell, the likely introduction of the AB139 and EC155 in Den Helder, the award of contracts for the EC225, the replacement of the 332 by the S92 in Norway.

Without regulation the oil companies also introduced pop-out windows (including a redesign of the rear window in the S76), seat window alignment, upper torso restraint, four point harnesses for passengers, the use of constant wear lifejackets and survival suits by passengers, automatic-inflation flotation equipment, PBS and EBS for passengers and have required (and paid for) the research and installation of HUMS and HOMP. They are also (ahead of any regulations) moving to safer operational procedures and are fitting EGPWS and ACAS.

Finally, they are active in (that means pay for) research activities which will enhance the safety and suvivability of passengers and crews in the future.

semirigid rotor
3rd Nov 2005, 13:13
Ambi, How many hours on the airframes now? When I last flew AL I think it had in excess of 20,000 hours and something like 80,000 landings on it :hmm: or is time and memory playing tricks on me?

Whirlygig
3rd Nov 2005, 14:06
Some of you may not have heard this - tipped at 14-1 to be the Christmas number 1!

The JCB Song (http://www.jcbsong.co.uk/jcbvideo.asp)

Cheers

Whirls

ambidextrous
12th Nov 2005, 14:06
Semi-rigid Rotor:
Your memory's not too far out!
bmal-76a+ 49,900 landings, 23,395 hours.
drnt-76A+ 57,600 landings, 19,057 hours.
chcd-76A+ 57,700 landings, 18,333 hours.
and the baby of the fleet, sssc-76C 26,500 landings, 10,400hrs.
Some ex S61n drivers might say these are all babies! Unfortunately decisions taken long ago regarding certification of the S76 & the introduction of 2 crew(not that that stopped the Scillies crash) mean that there won't be any replacements in the SNS for some time yet.
4th.Rock from the Sun:
Most of the new technology you quote is being introduced elsewhere in the N.Sea & not in the UK sector. The S92 utilises S70 technology & is hardly new, although the americans would like you to think otherwise.
As for the other improvements you quote, I suggest that they probably came out of the oil companies petty cash. The facts remain that transportation costs for all forms of transport in the N.Sea don't figure on the oil majors radar. i.e.less than 5% of their operating revenue. Meanwhile the government & shareholders are enjoying a tax/dividend bonanza.