PDA

View Full Version : Another question for Nick

RW-1
1st Aug 2001, 23:29
Hi Nick!

A new topic for everyone:

What are the various factory pilot positions at Sikorsky?

I know that you are involved in test/development, I'm sure there are production pilots that test finished machines as they come off the line, etc.

Can you tell us about those various (if they are various) positions?
What they entail and what experience (quite sure I'm not there yet :) ) that the company looks for for filling them?

Nick Lappos
2nd Aug 2001, 02:04
RW-1 asked:
What are the various factory pilot positions at Sikorsky?

I know that you are involved in test/development, I'm sure there are production pilots that test finished machines as they come off the line, etc.

Can you tell us about those various (if they are various) positions?
What they entail and what experience (quite sure I'm not there yet ) that the company looks for for filling them?

Nick sez:
We have about 30 pilots at Sikorsky, all are engineers or at at least BS in some hard science degree, all former military pilots with 1500 hours or more.

We do three main tasks: Training customer pilots (and liaison with users in the field), flying off production aircraft to assure quality, and testing new configurations or airframes. It is all fun, just when it gets a bit boring on production, you can go to Aberdeen or Saudi Arabia or Manila and fly with some professionals. Even in training flights, it is all educational. For the most experienced Engineering test pilots, the envelope expansion is a blast, working with test engineers, designers and programs folks to shape the aircraft into what it should be.

General rules for getting into a Manufacturer's employ: Get an Engineering degree, aerospace/aeronautical, mechanical and electrical are all quite good, build time in the product while learning all you can about the machine.
Traits of a test pilot are insatiable curiosity (read any good text books lately?), technical savvy (can you take apart any appliance in your house?), polished flying skills (willingness to push the machine a bit not abuse but willingness to make it do what you want without hesitation).

A great start is to become a flight test engineer.

RW-1
2nd Aug 2001, 02:08
Totally Kewl Nick.

I figured the forum might be curious about it.

I may later on get the engineering degree myself, but not in the imeadiate future.

Thanks!

Jed A1
2nd Aug 2001, 02:49
So all Lu needs is his license and he can become a factory pilot!

collective bias
2nd Aug 2001, 03:11
I had just thought the same thing..... :eek:

Nick Lappos
2nd Aug 2001, 17:10
Jed A1 said:
So all Lu needs is his license and he can become a factory pilot!

Nick sez;

That depends on who does the interview!!

RW-1
2nd Aug 2001, 17:55
RW-1 Sez:

I wouldn't let him even try the Cypher ...

Just MO. :D