PDA

View Full Version : Airline charges

dawsonio
31st Oct 2005, 00:21
Why do airlines charge more for a one way trip than for a return to the same destination??? Is this common practice?

Ive checked air France SDQ to NCL and its £600 one way when a return ticket will cost £531

Am i missing something here? Anyone know where to get good one way trip prices?

Thanks

Andy

FFHKG
31st Oct 2005, 00:50
Yes, it is very common practice amongst all full-fare airlines. The answer is to find a good consolidator (the ads in the quality Sunday press is a good starting point), who has access to discounted fares, which are cheaper than the airlines published fares, and then purchase the cheapest return available.

Normally, such tickets are 7/14 day returns with a list of restrictions, so it's no use keeping the return ticket for future use, trying to get the date or flight changed, seeking a refund for the unused coupon, etc.

Such tickets are fine if you don't need the flexibility to change the date/time of travel at short notice - if you do, I am afraid that you are stuck with an expensive published fare.

Before airlines started abandoning their week-end stay rules (which stipulated a weekend stay to gain a cheaper fare), using two such tickets - the first ticket commencing at point of departure and the second ticket commencing at your destination - was frequently the cheapest way to make a weekday return journey going out one day and returning the next.

In airline terms ~ weekday returns = business traveller = company paying = high fares!

ASCIL
31st Oct 2005, 18:00
dawsonio:

I know your talking about more long haul flights, but locally (ie UK) Low-cost airlines (EZY/FR/WW) operate on a point-to-point policy in which you are paying for being taken from A->B. This is why they can offer to change your ticket for a fee.
The legacy airlines (BA :D /AF/LH) set out return fares that are non-changeable due to their price. The more you pay for the ticket, the more priveledges surrounding the ticket. For example, on BA a cheap "N class" economy ticket costing eg £80 (JER/LGW/JER) will entitle you to bog-all apart from flight and in-flight meal. Where as a "H class" ticket costing £230 allows you to change your flights with a fee and maybe an upgrade if the same booking class isn't available.
What FFHKG says also applys to many big routes.
Hope that helps alittle...? :O

:ok:

dawsonio
31st Oct 2005, 20:51
Thanks Guys,

Would these consolidators be available on conecting flight?

i see lots of great deals for London > OZ or London > Dubai etc

but mine is more obscure as in Newcastle - Paris - Santo Dominigo

I was thinking about getting an easyjet to Paris then the the air france to Dom Rep but where could i find these discount fares for a flight originating in paris?

Thanks Again