PDA

View Full Version : 'Most Haunted'

timmcat
30th Oct 2005, 21:26
Apologies to those prooners who can't receive British digital TV, but, those who can, what do you think?

There's been some stuff on there which looks a bit strange (apart from Yvette) but just how much is hammed up to make a programme? Have they ever been to a location, seen nothing and thought 'we'll scrap this one, nothing to report' - I bet not. And those 'orbs' - just look like out of focus bits of dust to me. There was one episode which showed a bed move on a time lapse camera. Either blatant trickery, or something odd going on.

Derek's a star, isn't he? Whether you believe in this sort of stuff or not, he's made a name for himself.

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 21:32
I have been told only one ghost story that had the ring of truth about it, hmmm more a horror story really,much to horrifying to impart here.
:uhoh:

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 21:32
As much as Mrs J hates me for it, I love that show. We get it here occasionally on some of the cable channels and I think it's bloody great.

Best part, when good old Yvette is putting on the plummy accent.....untill she get's sh*t scared and the Stockport girl shines through :ok:

Astrodome
30th Oct 2005, 21:35
My wife watches that programme all the time. I occasionally glance at it if I go into the room.

That woman is SO bloody annoying !!!!!!!! :}

She chooses to play about with the paranormal and then goes into panic fits, screaming and crying...I mean for God's sake, grow up woman.

candoo
30th Oct 2005, 22:14
Knock, knock........ are you there?

Yvette gimme some feedback.

Siht I've been Samuarised!

Ever listened to XFM?

SilsoeSid
30th Oct 2005, 23:02
Plenty of comment at http://www.badpsychics.co.uk/

Plus, from the Mirrors article the other day,

28 October 2005
SPOOKY TRUTH: TV'S MOST HAUNTED CON EXPOSED TV
By Matt Roper
THE TV show that has spooked millions with its footage of hauntings and poltergeists is today exposed as a fake - by one its own stars.

Resident parapsychologist Dr Ciaran O'Keeffe has sensationally lifted the lid on the ghosthunting series, Most Haunted ... and claims that the public are being deceived by "showmanship and dramatics."

He accuses the show's medium Derek Acorah of hoodwinking viewers by pretending to communicate with spirits and obtaining information about locations prior to filming.

The Mirror has also obtained unedited footage which appears to show presenter Yvette Fielding and her husband faking 'paranormal' occurrences such as ghostly bumps and knocks.

Most Haunted has quickly achieved cult status since it was launched in 2002 and is LivingTV's most successful programme.

Millions of viewers tune in regularly to watch Ex-Blue Peter girl Yvette and her team of ghost hunters spend the night in some of Britain's most haunted locations.

It has made Acorah - who claims to be guided by an Ethiopian spirit guide called Sam - into one of the country's best-known psychics.

Tonight the show will start its biggest ever live vigil, a four-night Halloween special from East London following the murderous trail of Jack the Ripper.

Yvette Fielding has said of the show - which is made by her husband Karl Beattie's production company Antix Productions: "There is no acting in this programme, none whatsoever. Everything you see and you hear is real. It's not made up, it's not acted."

But our investigation reveals how the programme uses careful editing to mislead viewers and, on at least one occasion, has even lied about the location of filming.

Ciaran, a lecturer in the paranormal at Liverpool's Hope University, knows speaking out will probably put an end to his media career... but he believes viewers should know the truth.

He says: "I think it's time to open the dialogue about what I've experienced on Most Haunted. There have been many incidents with the medium that have been brushed under the carpet.

"I was put in the show to give a professional slant to it, to give it an element of credibility, but the sceptical argument is just swept away.

"In my opinion, we're not dealing with genuine mediumship."

He says he isn't the only member of the crew who feels viewers are being cheated.

"Other crew members have been irked by Derek and what's going on, because it turns what should be a serious investigation into a laughing matter."

And our exclusive footage shows other members of the team occasionally forget they are on camera.

One of our clips, later edited out, shows Karl push an unwitting sound man in the dark and pretend it was a poltergeist attack.

In the remaining footage he says (after surreptitiously hitting the soundman): "S**t, did you feel that?"

Yvette: Are you all right? What's happened?

Karl: I felt something touch me on my shoulder.

Soundman: I felt something hit me.

And in another edited clip with medium Ian Lawman, Yvette is seen on camera making a deep sigh. In the scene that eventually went to air, Ian (after Yvette sighs) says: "What's that noise?

Yvette: What noise? Like a moan?

Ian: Breathing or something.

Yvette: I heard like an 'arrggh'.

Ciaran, who joined Most Haunted in April 2004 became suspicious of Acorah's antics on a shoot at Castle Leslie, Co Monaghan in Ireland where a 17th Century four-poster bed has been claimed to levitate.

Ciaran recalls: "As we walked into the bedroom, Derek touched the bed and came out with extremely accurate information.

"He insisted he got all the information just from touching the bed. But it was the wrong bed."

Antix Productions claims the mediums have no idea where they will be filming or know any details about the history of the locations.

But Ciaran says: "Derek must have had prior knowledge of the locations."

He devised a plan to see if Derek was deliberately deceiving the public.

While on a shoot at Bodmin gaol he invented a long-dead South African jailer called Kreed Kafer - an anagram of Derek Faker.

"I wrote the name down and asked another member of the crew to mention it to Derek before filming.

"I honestly didn't think Derek would take the bait. But during the filming he actually got possessed by my fictional character!"

On the next shoot at Prideaux Place, Cornwall, Ciaran made up another fictional character, highwayman Rik Eedles - an anagram of Derek Lies. Sure enough, Derek made contact with the dead outlaw.

Ciaran says: "In my professional opinion we're not dealing with a genuine medium.

"When Derek is possessed he is doing it consciously - all we are seeing is showmanship and dramatics."

Ciaran went a step further at Craigievar Castle, near Aberdeen.

"I made up stories about Richard the Lionheart, a witch, and Richard's apparition appearing to walk through a wardrobe - the lion, the witch and the wardrobe!" True to form, Derek mentioned all Ciaran's stories - even though Richard I reigned 500 years BEFORE Craigievar Castle was built.

The final straw came last month when Most Haunted presented a three-night special from Manchester.

On the second evening, the show claimed to be broadcasting live from the site of Cheadle's Victorian asylum, a place where - according to presenter David Bull - thousands died in torment. In fact they were in the derelict remains of Barnes Convalescence Home - where nobody died in torment.

Ciaran remembers: "Derek was communicating with spirits that sounded as if they'd been in an asylum, but it was never an asylum."

Yesterday the Mirror confronted Derek Acorah with Ciaran's allegations. He told us: "I've worked with Ciaran for many shows and he's got every right to say what he says.

"However, it does shock and surprise me. Not only do I believe that I am a genuine medium - I live my work 24 hours a day. If I thought that I wasn't a true medium, I wouldn't work as one."

A spokesman for LivingTV said: "Ciaran O'Keeffe has worked as the programme's official sceptic for 18 months and during this time has not brought any of his concerns to our attention.

"LivingTV has not seen any of your filmed evidence, but will fully investigate your claims."

A strange part of that article is, Yesterday the Mirror confronted Derek Acorah with Ciaran's allegations. He told us: "I've worked with Ciaran for many shows and he's got every right to say what he says.

"However, it does shock and surprise me. Not only do I believe that I am a genuine medium - I live my work 24 hours a day. If I thought that I wasn't a true medium, I wouldn't work as one."
Because, it is an offence to claim to be a medium knowing full well you are a conning everyone! Strange to say, 'I believe that I am a genuine medium' as opposed to, I am a genuine medium!!!!

Loose rivets
31st Oct 2005, 04:36
I'm just swatting on some Google threads to help me with the chapter I'm writing in me book.

The Rosenheim phenomenon is perhaps the most investigated occurrence in the history of paranormal activity, and I remember being enthralled by a television program about it.

It seems that poltergeist activity is most common around young females and this was the case in Rosenheim. Virtually all the activity was disruption of electrical devices which was very easily quantified.

Having experienced such a strange happening in the Walton Hall in Essex, (search about a year ago) I keep an open mind as to what may cause these things.

tony draper
31st Oct 2005, 08:36
Thunk it was that Borley(SP? Abbey that was the most haunted place Mr Rivets,remember a big hulabaloo about it in the olden days,think the place burned down though,so yon spectres is prolly homeless now.
:uhoh:

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 10:46
Burning question is, are there spectres and just who has seen/heard one???

panda-k-bear
31st Oct 2005, 11:31
I should be above this rot, I know I should. I'm educated, I'm professional and I'm totally bl00dy hooked. I can't help it. I'm sorry mum and dad for all of the effort you put into raising me but

I love Most Haunted

even if it IS a total fake, I don't care. I love it I love it I love it!

There, you all know my deepest, darkest secret now.

Well, not THE deepest, darkest secret but that's another thread :}
Ahem, onwards.

What's a Girdler
31st Oct 2005, 11:54
My house is really haunted, I see 'Orbs' all the time!!

Or is it DUST.........anyone...no DUST!!!!!!

Orbs my arse!!!

And the table wobbling, makes me laugh!!

The only thing that is worth watching and is entertaining on that program is when Derek gets possessed:}

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 13:57
They are all possesed... for the love of fame, money, more viewers. The demons in that lot would make the Gadarene swine look positively tame.

Jerricho
31st Oct 2005, 14:51
It's not fake!!! It can't be..............I won't hear otherwise.

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 14:54
otherwise what? The gasp you heard was the producer trying to stifle his amazement at the barefaced cheek of the faces they pull when seeing the 'entities' at the other end of the camera ie camera operator.

Jerricho
31st Oct 2005, 14:57
........but, but, but........but Yvette wouldn't lie to use. She was on Blue Peter.

:( :(

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 15:16
you ought tojust see what other pranks those Blue Peter perps get up to :ooh:

Jerricho
31st Oct 2005, 15:22
As well as the sh*t they stuffed up their noses.........and other places :E ;)

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 15:24
Ummmmm yes... along those sort of lines... :D

candoo
31st Oct 2005, 15:30
There is absolutely no reason to raise the subject of bacon just because I'm hungry :}

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 15:32
Bacon:confused:

Aaah you mean the demon infested piggies.

catswhisker
31st Oct 2005, 18:47
Anyone hear that episode of the Sandi Toksvig travel prog on Radio 4, in some castle in Ireland, where a voice which no-one heard at the time came up in the recording, quite distinctly? Unsettling. :uhoh:

Mr Chips
31st Oct 2005, 22:45
let me get this straight.. a guy who lectures on the paranormal spent HOW long working on a programme that he only now says is fake???????

Tonic Please
31st Oct 2005, 23:59
I'm hooked too. Ever since I first watched it, i tune in every night.

The most 'scary' thing I have seen, and also seen a reply or two which invole many replays themselves, is when 3 chaps were in a cellar doing table tipping, and the table 'shuffled' itself about 2 feet towards one of the guys. I watched it many times over, and, as much as I am skeptic wanting to be proed wrong, like most, it really did shuffle as the 2 guys the opposite movement end of the table had their fingertips on it and the split second it seriously moved they were up and outta there and the guy who was talking (i think it was that historian chap) was trying to run backwards, hands in air, and the table still followed him for about 2 feet.

That made me switch the light on and engage in text conversation :rolleyes:

I am trying to get a nearby freind to do a bit of tipping or whatnot, preferably not in my house, just to see what happens! ALways up for some self attained knowledge.

WIll report my results truthfully!!!

Dan

Wedge
1st Nov 2005, 00:07
Caught the end of tonight's Halloween Most Haunted Live. They had Paul O'Grady (aka Lilly Savage) doing the ouija boards with them. They had a German Shepherd dog who lost it a few times.

Didn't see anything particularly conclusive, but it was interesting watching the glass move around the table.

I'm a believer in the paranormal but I always try to look at these things from an objective and critical point of view - while I'm sure some of what happens is in their imaginations some of it is pretty interesting and I think Derek Acorah is great.

You might view the whole thing as a hoax, I'm not going to try to prove it isn't, but as Acorah says: "To a non-believer no evidence is good enough, to a believer no evidence is necessary".

It's true that even if the people on the show didn't experience anything unusual at all, they'd still have to say they did, because, well it's TV isn't it!

Derek is leaving the show though, tonight was his last Most Haunted. He used to play professional football for Liverpool.....and not a lot of people know that ;).

Loose rivets
1st Nov 2005, 06:28
Yes Drapes, I remember my mom coming home whit the book mentioned. It was supposed to be more haunted after the fire. S'pose the ghosties were ticked off.

http://www.haunteddoghouse.com/The_Borley_Rec.html

there seems to be some fundamental differences with poltergeist activity: mostly the moving of solid objects. Having said this, one photo in the link shows the floating brick phenomenon!!:oh:

panda-k-bear
1st Nov 2005, 19:33
Wedge, the earlier part with O' Grady was pant wettingly funny. Down in a pub cellar with Yvette, he thought he saw someone walking through a wall. What a hoot! He screamed and ran a mile. Makes me chuckle now just thinking about it.

Well here's a question for you then. IF Ciaran said all of that to the press - without permission, of course, it could always be just a publicity generating effort - why was he still on the 4 night Most Haunted Live this weekend? Why didn't they sack him? If someone had done soemthing to totally discredit me like that, I would have fired them on the spot, so why does he still work for them?

Loose rivets
1st Nov 2005, 23:02
Haunting? this is weird, part way down previous link is the said rectoy's site. look what appears.:\

http://www.borleyrectory.com/

what does it mean??:confused: