PDA

View Full Version : Transport Drinking Ban

Astrodome
30th Oct 2005, 21:12
Another example of Labour (not) 'Joined Up' thinking.

Transport Drinking Ban (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4390802.stm) So desperate to seek a headline.

It would appear that none of Bliar's Ministers have an ounce of intelligence.

Whilst it will be OK to go drinking 24 hours a day, one cannot drink on public transport services !!!

Well I have a little seed of knowledge for Bliar.

In my experience on the railways, the very great majority of drunks and troublemakers arrive for trains already drunk.

Very few get themselves drunk whilst travelling (some football fans excluded !).

Just how further are these idiots going to go before what everyone else can already see happening, becomes obvious to Bliar.

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 21:17
Will this effect getting grog down yer neck on airyplanes?
:uhoh:

Astrodome
30th Oct 2005, 21:24
No Mr. D seemingly not.

So all those nasty people who cause mayhem at 35,000 feet can continue unchecked.

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 21:32
Well generally those folks don't drink anyway.
:rolleyes:

Rollingthunder
30th Oct 2005, 21:55
I always have found it quite civilized when on the train to be able to have a G&T or a couple of whiskies while watching the countryside go whizzing by. Never have run into football louts yet.

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 22:03
I can remember when railway carridges had proper compartments,where one could have a drink in peace, and real dining cars where one could get a good dinner with silver service.
The railways have gone to the dogs I tells yer.
:rolleyes:

Unwell_Raptor
30th Oct 2005, 22:16
Andrew Marr got it right on the BBC this morning - the trouble is binge legislating.

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 22:23
The powers that be seem to be unable or reluctant to apply the law as it stands now let alone introducing rafts of new laws, what would have happened in the sixties and seventies if one had behaved toward or spoke to a Policeman in the Big Marke, as they do now with apparent impunity,you would have been dragged unceremoniously down to Market Street Nick andf given a good kicking then had to face the Beak very shortly thereafter.
:cool:

G-CPTN
30th Oct 2005, 23:10
Banning alcohol on public transport as a prevention of disorder is like banning sex organs in order to prevent fornication. I've never committed rape, but I sure do have the equipment. They'll be stopping folks from carrying sharp impliments on planes next in case they attack the crew . . .

We're just not to be trusted it seems.
Stop drivers buying petrol in case they drive dangerously or exceed the speed limit.
Prohibit matches to stop arson.

Astrodome
30th Oct 2005, 23:19
Life under the Bliar Junta, unfortunately.

Sadly these little issues tend to take the media focus off other more sinister things.

Each day we become more Stalinist.

G-CPTN
30th Oct 2005, 23:21
Why can't we return to Joyce Grenfell?
George! Don't DO that . . .
http://www.monologues.co.uk/First_Ladies/Flowers.htm

Fg Off Max Stout
31st Oct 2005, 00:14
Typical governmental kneejerk. Address the symptoms, not the cause of the problem.

SYMPTOM: A very small number of passengers boarding public transport absolutely smashed and then getting aggressive and abusive.

PROBLEM: Chavs and bums with no respect for the law or standards of civilised society getting completely skullf*cked and causing havoc wherever they go. Soon to be enhanced by 24hr drinking legislation.

GOVT SOLUTION: Ban drinking on public transport despite the fact that the majority of people who do just that are perfectly law abiding and able to handle their drink. Law abiding people such as commuters who fancy a pint on the journey home from work must be held responsible.

ACTUAL SOLUTION: Chav class wasters and railway station bums are the problem here. Cane the f*ckers at school unil they respect the rule of law (and their compensation class abdicators of parents) and if that's not enough give them national service. Job done.

The Times had it right today with an achingly ironic picture of a pretty young thing sipping champers on her way to Ascot. Obviously not the type to puke on you, knife you, then knick your wallet, but certainly one of the groups that will be punished by this pathetic legislation. Govt - [email protected]

BenThere
31st Oct 2005, 04:32
Rules.

Every new rule or piece of legislation regarding behavior or life choices insidiously takes our freedom away. Even though they may be based on logic and seemingly good ideas, one day you wake up and wonder, "Am I still free?"

In this case, drinking should not be the crime. The crime is what you illegally do before, during and after drinking. If we prosecuted those real crimes, people would be free to choose for themselves when to imbibe.

The busybodies and do-gooders who think they know best how we all should live and behave need some resistance.

Krystal n chips
31st Oct 2005, 08:46
And this from a junta about to quite happily sanction 24hr drinking and allowing supermarkets to sell booze 24 / 7 ! :mad:

Reasons to leave the UK No 792 !

Rushton
31st Oct 2005, 09:17
Oh well, guess it'll be back to hiding the whisky in the thermos with the coffee, just like we did we they stopped us having grog at footy matches.

ThreadBaron
31st Oct 2005, 09:32
...and who can tell just how much whisky is in that bottle of Irn Bru? :confused: :confused:

teeteringhead
31st Oct 2005, 10:00
Don't knock the kneejerk!!

I mean, after the post-Dunblane ban on legally held handguns, no one's been shot have they ..... oh b&gger .....:rolleyes:

Shiny side down
31st Oct 2005, 10:35
Again, legislation from those people too important and busy to go and see the real world for which they are legislating.

I see people in bars in the terminal, getting ratted before they get on the flight. Huge amounts of alcohol being consumed by people who think it's a race to get a few more in before they get on board. And all this happening before most people have even had breakfast!

To then see 2-4-1 drinks and happy hour in an environment which could really do without it. Makes me curious if having more laws will have the same effect as having none.

Bloody daft.

CUNIM
31st Oct 2005, 11:16
If they were really serious, they would ban the kiddy winky's alcopops. The brewery/distilling industry has been the primary cause of this binge drinking by making alcohol a sweet pop like drink that is easy to become used to, just so that they maximise their profits. Look at the admission that they pay a bonus on sales. Big business can be efficient, but the responsibility goes with it hand in hand.

I agree with the previous post re Dunblane, as it has now been admitted at long last that it was the criminal stupidity of the police senior management that caused this dreadful massacre.:(

G-CPTN
31st Oct 2005, 11:20
>I see people in bars in the terminal, getting ratted before they get on the flight. Huge amounts of alcohol being consumed by people who think it's a race to get a few more in before they get on board. And all this happening before most people have even had breakfast!

I'd be interested to know the nationality of the drinkers here (ie were they obviously Brits?)

wanderin_star
31st Oct 2005, 12:47
Usual New Labour procedure.
Leak a proposed policy at weekends so it hits headline news.
Gauge public opinion - if negative then policy is quietly forgotten.
I dont think we hear much more about this policy.

mastermark
1st Nov 2005, 14:18
Just a thought.....how much money does the government make from the sale of booze?
and how much money is made from the sale of tobacco?

Strange that they seem to be killing the goose that is laying golden eggs..
or have I got that wrong????
M x

Shiny side down
3rd Nov 2005, 17:02
G-CPTN
Yes, they are. I won't be more specific about location.

And the thinking capacity of those involved is limited.

ie. Returning to UK. refused boarding of 2pax due overindilugance. These 2 in a party where 1 was refused boarding outbound for same reason, 3 days earlier.

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2005, 17:11
Heard President Blair saying that he was opposed to the idea of a ban before it was announced . . . .
?
So why announce it?

Shiny side down
3rd Nov 2005, 17:15
to keep us guessing.

M.Blair is actually a double agent from the ministry of misinformation. Keeps us on our toes.

alternatively.
He has been spending too much time with Bush and has adopted several of his quirks. Such as not knowing what he is saying.

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2005, 17:25
Has anyone noticed that Dubbya is actually a ROBOT? I've seen those guys at Sellafield and on the Moon in suits where they operate artificial arms from within, and GWB's stance looks like his arms are being operated from behind him.

Shiny side down
3rd Nov 2005, 20:02
The americans are still behind the japanese in robot technology then?

con-pilot
3rd Nov 2005, 20:36
I never knew that we were ever ahead.:p

And err, just what does that have to do with having a beer on the train?:suspect: