PDA

View Full Version : My bit on Halloween...

Sexual Chocolate
30th Oct 2005, 13:39
Hey CC how goes?

First of all the joke..... Cindarella's off to the ball but before she goes Aunty tells her that she must be home before midnite or her diaphragm will turn into a pumpkin. So she gets back around 3am and Aunty asks how on earth she survived the contraceptive's morph to a vegetable. And Cindarella goes

"Oh, I met this really nice guy. Peter Peter something or other....."

If I interpret the final line in your post correctly, you're essentially saying that you did everything the Islamic way when you were in the middle east, and you feel angry that Muslim people come to predominately Christian countries, yet don't conform in the same way you did when you were in theirs?

From your post, I take it that your conformity in the M.E. was enforced by local authority as opposed to being your own personal decision. You're pissed that you didn't get the opportunity to make you own personal decision - fair enuff. Lucky for you, you can come back home to one of the lands of free speech where people are free too carry a bible, choose not to participate in haloween or for that matter, to worship marvin the space martian.

But I do kinda see what you mean about the whole Halloween thing... Nothing in the nature of the activity itself changed, just their understanding
of where it came from. If they found out that Haloween was of commercial origin as several pruners have said, would they change their mind again? And why the fcuk should it matter? If the kids are having fun and it's not doing them any harm, why deprive them of it?

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but from the tone of your post, you don't seem to be the type of person who objects to parents having discretion over the raising of their children. Instead of 'I feel angry that...' may be the below works a little better?

'To me, it seems crazy that someone would forbid their kids from an activity, not becuase it had a negative influence on them but because of where it came from'.

Onan the Clumsy
30th Oct 2005, 13:42
where people are free too (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196319) carry a bible

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 13:50
I've decided I'm gonna buy you a Spulling/Grammer hat for Christmas OtC my friend :E ;)

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 14:01
God knows how we get back on track

;)

I'm sure he's sitting there thinking "You can leave me the f*ck out of this!"

:}

Binoculars
30th Oct 2005, 14:04
Considering some of the crap that goes on for years on this forum, I wish the moderators would make at least some explanation for closing a thread.

Onan the Clumsy
30th Oct 2005, 14:14
...shouldn't that be "that has gone on"...

:8

Whirlygig
30th Oct 2005, 14:15
Don't think so because it's still going on and will, no doubt, continue to go on.

Cheers

Whirls

Wyler
30th Oct 2005, 14:16
Maybe they closed it because it was boring and counter-productive....just a thought.

Binoculars
30th Oct 2005, 14:20
Whirls was right, Onan. I wasn't talking past tense.

Whirlygig
30th Oct 2005, 14:25
Thanks Binos but... Whirls is STILL right!;) Ha ha :D

Cheers

Whirls

Rollingthunder
30th Oct 2005, 14:32
Nine years out of ten, it rains here on Halloween. Lots of soggy kids wandering around.

eal401
30th Oct 2005, 15:39
I wish the moderators would make at least some explanation for closing a thread.
I'd have thought it obvious in this case.

BombayDuck
30th Oct 2005, 15:40
rollingthunder - it's (is that right, Onan?) probably God's way of saying "TRICK!" :D

Davaar
30th Oct 2005, 17:29
Informed social comment:
(1) the Emperor Constantine and Pope Silvester had not made an uneasy union of state and church in 314 AD;
(2) Pope Leo (“ ... a round-shouldered bishop on a mule and a choir of baldheaded clerics ...”) had not negotiated the safety of Rome with Attila the Hun and his vast army (the panzers of the day) (“the grass never grew again where his horse had trod”) at the River Po in Northern Italy in 452 AD, Attila having already taken Worms, Windisch, Spires, Mainz, Basel, Strasbourg, Colmar, Besançon, Troyes, Arras, Metz, Rheims, Laon, and St Quentin;
(3) and Charles Martel had not beaten the Saracens at the Battle of Tours (or as some say Poitiers) in 732 AD;

How free would you be today to choose between (a) celebrating Hallowe’en and (b) not celebrating Hallowe’en?

Which tolerant religion would you now be observing?

Discuss.

Davaar
30th Oct 2005, 19:02
I'm sure not you do not, Cheerio, and I am with you there, all the way. Much better to get back to the guisers and the dookin' and the treacle scones, and much more, as they say in the ads. And do not tell me it all has much to do with Christianity either. It is, as one PPRuNer would put it, derivative, just as what we now call Easter (did someone mention Beltane?). Hallowe'en has much more to it than a crew of All Hallows or even a few Hallows, on their Eve or not.

Voltaire, though (I believe it was) said that if God did not exist we should have to invent Him. Many of us today are not sure that God, or more precisely the God of any given religion, does exist. I look at that and the consequences, and I begin to think that if Voltaire was wrong, and that God does not exist, we do have to invent Him for very good and practical reasons.

As to the other lot, it is not just "the few" that follow hearty methods, and if they ran affairs here as they do elsewhere you could forget Ne'erday, Christmas, Easter, Beltane, or any other
pleasures or displeasures that offend a rigid set of clerics. I do not wish to be under any rigid set of clerics.

At one time I should have liked to discuss this here, but not any more. It would just be an invitation to abuse.

Chief Chook
30th Oct 2005, 19:40
Thank you mods :rolleyes:

One of my points was, quite simply, it is really only conjecture that Halloween is a Christian "thing".
I see nothing in the kids' costumes, nor in the Trick or Treating that would confirm it is. Yet because my Muslim friends - and they are my friends - read on the internet that it is of a Christian derivitive, they have forbidden their kids from joing in this year on that sole basis.

Nor am I at all religious. In fact I am agnostic, however I am now seeing a religion dividing a community of children.

There is no disputing that in our western societies people are free to attend (or not) the place of worship of their choice, and to wear whatever items of religious dress, or adornment, they choose to.
On the other hand, forbidding the same, and imposing one's religion forcably on all who enter the countries where Islam is the predominant religion totally removes one's basic right to choose to NOT partake.

chiglet
30th Oct 2005, 20:08
Has had been said "Hallowe'en" was [and indeed is ] a Pagan Rite. It has been adopted/adapted :confused: by some of the Christian following/Faith.
Hallowe'en predates Christianity [as has been said] and is followed in the "Western World"...eg, "trick or treat".
I can sympathise with the person who has Muslim neighbors [sp?] but what do you think of a person who until a few years ago was banned from [Openly] following her Religion/Belief? Then Teflon Tony said "Anyone can follow their Religion without penalty"
The g/f is Pagan. She is also Wiccan.....
You want All Hallows Eve? Do it properly...... visit a Coven...I did and it opened my eyes
watp,iktch