PDA

View Full Version : Seen this?

collective bias
1st Aug 2001, 14:34
I have a great poster of a boeing vertol towing some sort of sled across a snow plateau. The interesting aspect of the shot is that it is from head on and the aircraft is pitched over so that the front disc is only 6 odd feet off the ground! It is a fantastic shot and just recently I saw the same shot at a mechanics garage, taken slightly earlier as the aircraft rotated foward.
Does anyone else have this picture and what is the story behind it? :)

Jed A1
1st Aug 2001, 19:37
It's a Columbia Helicopters BV 107 towing a 350t hover barge. Used in exploration work to transport cargo across swamps and ice flows etc. Amazing stuff.

If you can make out the pilot in the picture you can see he is looking backwards out of a bubble window at the barge.

Unfortuantely its not as spectacular as it seems. The helicopter is approx 500' AGL. It's the distance from the camera and the camera's lens which make it look so low!

What I want to know is who came up with the idea to tow a barge with a helicopter!

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Jed A1 ]

timmccall
1st Aug 2001, 19:51
The same guys that tow minesweepers with CH-53's. The U.S. Navy! Boy what a job that would be??? :D

Jed A1
2nd Aug 2001, 02:20
Out of curiosity, how much does a minesweeper behind a CH-53 weigh?

rotorque
2nd Aug 2001, 13:38
Can someone post the picture up on the thread. I don't want to steal it of course, just want to download it into my computer without telling anyone or paying a commission from the copywriter. :p

Thanks in advance

piloteddy
2nd Aug 2001, 16:01
Here's a link to the thread from last year. I've had a look but the picture doesnt want to show on my computer. Maybe it will be ok on yours:
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000287

I have tried a few other places too, but I cant seem to find another copy of the piccy anywhere!

CTD
2nd Aug 2001, 18:14
Rotorque et al, I have the file on my computer at work. If you'd like it, send me an e-mail at [email protected] (that's a 'zero', not an 'oh') and I'll fire it off to you.

hueywsh
3rd Aug 2001, 02:49
Rotorque you can find a picture of same on the just helicopters website in the photo gallery section. You should be able to make it wallpaper.www.justhelicopters.com

Vfrpilotpb
3rd Aug 2001, 16:20
Huey,
I have found the picture on Justheli web site
What a totally awsome picture, do you think the pilots seat was in the recline position! and was he already fitted with diving gear :D :D

Nodak Garth
3rd Aug 2001, 19:31
I have that same picture,if you go to there both at the heli-expo they will give you one.

UNCTUOUS
5th Aug 2001, 01:59
http://203.59.230.234/images/sling.jpg

http://203.59.230.234/images/ed1aa.jpg

IHL
5th Aug 2001, 03:08
Jed A1, is the picture your talking of the same as posted by Unctous.

If it is and you say the aircraft is 500 AGL, then how long is the landyard ?

Copter Cody
6th Aug 2001, 19:03
Thats a nice pic! Although its its amazing how that pic decieves the eye.

B Sousa
7th Aug 2001, 03:51
Nice Picture above. I flew with that individual many times. Name is Alfred E. Newman. Fantastic Pilot and real Ladies man.
The man was a real genius and new verbatum all the regs.......Great to see his Picture again. I understand he has gone to fixed wing now, too bad as its a real loss to the Helicopter world.....Whats that aircraft outside his window, havent seen one of those since I was in new Mexico years ago. but thats another story.

tgrendl
7th Aug 2001, 06:48
A side point to that job;

I had heard that the tow line was Not connected to the center hook.

They used an aft setup.

Can anyone fill us in on why that was?

(This is not first hand knowledge) :eek:

collective bias
7th Aug 2001, 10:15
Its certainly an amazing photo and it really is hard to believe the machine is at 500 agl. Not trying to discredit Jed A1....but are u sure and can someone explain how that happens??? :)

Jed A1
10th Aug 2001, 17:53
Apologies for not replying earlier, I've been travelling a lot over the last week.

I've been trying to find the notes I was given on the operation by Columbia Helicopters. I was looking at chartering the BV 107's for a similar operation several years ago.

I guess the answer to how long the line is, is, "It's pretty long". As regards hieght, well, it certainly doesn't make sense to be 10 or 20ft AGL as the picture suggests!

If I find my notes I'll post them, makes good reading.

collective bias
11th Aug 2001, 12:21
Top marks for effort, Jed 1.
Tell me to take a running jump is its private...but what where you hiring the machines for?