PDA

View Full Version : Old People Today

stagger
30th Oct 2005, 13:03
Old people today....no respect. What is the world coming to?

On my local high street earlier today I watched an elderly man unwrap some food and drop the wrapper on the ground, just yards from a litter bin.

The old chap noticed me watching him with disapproval but instead of picking up his rubbish he proceeded to take the rest of the wrapping from his food and disdainfully chuck that on the floor too before striding off.

:rolleyes:

I think I shall write to the Daily Mail about this.

airship
30th Oct 2005, 13:10
I'd have shouted after him "You wouldn't dare do that in Singapore yer old git"! :O

Wyler
30th Oct 2005, 13:12
My wife works on an OAPs ward. She has suffered more abuse and threats than a van load of Chav's could possibly deliver. I also find some of them incredibly intolerant in shops, cafe's etc. What we need are 'Wrinkly ASBO's'. One offence you loose your boiled sweets, two and your false teeth are confiscated for a week, three and you are given tickets to Glastonbury.
They'll be hanging round churches in gangs soon wielding Burberry walking sticks and sicking up their Bovril.

airship
30th Oct 2005, 13:55
The older I get, the more tolerant I seem to become of others' failings. We readily accommodate the wild exuberances of other sectors of society, namely teenagers, excusing it as "part of growing up" etc. Sometimes when I look at an old woman, I wonder what she looked like when she was young. Whether she turned heads, how many hearts she broke...or was she always this disagreeable?! Similarly, when my regard turns to an old man, I have to wonder about whether "he has seen it all and done it" too. Respect is a 2 way street. And let's face it, once someone reaches a certain age in our society, they appear to almost cease to exist to everyone else.

A litter-lout may not always have been one. But if being one is what it takes to be remarked these days... ;)

Ahhh, Jedi knight. Creak, your joints they shall. Invisibility to friend and enemy alike will you obtain. Trembling, your hand will become. But the force, which ebbs and flows, will always be there. Reside in another body it will. Wise they are who feel the force and from whence it came...

fmgc
30th Oct 2005, 14:04
I was in the Abbey the other day a joined the back of the queue for the counters. However the elderly gentleman in front of me was rooting around in his pockets and wad some way away from the next person in the queue leading to doubt as to whether he was actually in the queue or not.

So I politely asked him if he was in the queue. He answered very aggresively in the affirmative and proclaimed that he was looking for something.

He bovioulsy just assumed that because I am young that I must be illmannered and impatient, which is an attiude in the elderly that I abhor.

Anyway I replied that next time I asked that I would ask in such a tone that would warrent such an aggresive response.

Wyler
30th Oct 2005, 14:09
Some of them treat the local surgery like a social club. You have to fight for an appointment and when you get there, its full of OAPs comparing prescriptions.
Another time I was sitting in a dentists waiting room (in agony) and a bunch of them were trying to get appointments for check ups on the same day cos they wanted to do the Times crossword together.

:* :* :* :* :* :*

JudyTTexas
30th Oct 2005, 14:38
I don't think it's as much an "old people" issue as, in general, a people issue... Most likely they've had this behavior all their life. They allowed seeds of bitterness, disdain, disrespect to develop throughout their lifetime.

Look at some of the disciplines of our youth, then tell me how they'll be in 30-40 years... (not discounting the "school of hard knocks" can bring about change).

I love hanging around the younger ones...it makes me young. ;)
One of my closest friends is a co-worker 25 yr's my junior.
...mutual respect is a two-way street.

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 14:55
I'm at that age at the moment that falls half way between the dinosaurs and the "young punks" at work. It's funny watching the dinosaurs shake their heads at the lack of this and that of the young punks, and watch the young punks laugh at the dinosaurs when they start recounting the "back in my day" war-stories of when ATC was this and that.

Thing is, I get both groups then shaking their fists at me for being a smart arse *shrug*

JudyTTexas
30th Oct 2005, 15:09
Thing is, I get both groups then shaking their fists at me for being a smart arse *shrug* Ha! Jerricho, you get that too?
I just call it constructive thinking... :E

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 15:25
I prefer to think of it as unbiased mediation ;)

Binoculars
30th Oct 2005, 15:29
Naah, you're not half way, Jerricho. You mightn't want to admit it but you're still a young punk, just slightly older than the younger punks. :}

SLFguy
30th Oct 2005, 15:38
You have to, ( I soooo wanted to type 'too'...), remember that a goodly number of the wrinklies today spent 20 years smacked outta their, (another missed chance..drat..), heads.

They prolly, (yay!), don't have a clue what day of the week it is half the time.

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 15:42
So when does one officially become a dinosaur then? I do catch myself from time to time saying things and thinking "Oh crap, I sound like my old man"...............that's got to be the start of it.

Wyler
30th Oct 2005, 16:05
Walking into rooms and forgetting why you are there. It's started with me.
:(

TheFlyingSquirrel
30th Oct 2005, 16:15
Wyler old bean, I'm 34 and I've been doing that for years ! Going into rooms, opening drawers, and cupboards and then drawing that sudden blank ! The worst one for me is putting something down and then forgetting where I put it - I then have to retrace my steps like Inspector Clusoe to solve the mystery !:confused:

Wyler
30th Oct 2005, 16:34
Yep, do that too. I also do now what i used to detest in my older relatives. During a TV programme I start asking 'What did he used to be in' or 'Wasn't he in such and such' . My kids go nuts.

maggioneato
30th Oct 2005, 17:11
Maybe it's a question if you can't beat them, join them. A lot of young folk are bad mannered and drop litter, so why shouldn't old folk. Both learn from each other. :E

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 17:13
Bah ! I think everybody over fifty should be allowed to carry a sidearm and be allowed to sumarilly execute anybody betwixt the ages of 12 and 35 who annoys em.
:rolleyes:

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 17:38
Best not leave your sidearm in any public conveniences eh Drapes........or you still pissing behind trees?

;)

1DC
30th Oct 2005, 18:02
Once a litter dropper always a litter dropper, I reckon....
I blame it on the parents.....

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 18:04
Certainly not, we alus use the Sunderland Water Companies reservoir.
:cool:

JudyTTexas
30th Oct 2005, 18:05
Whew! TD...I'm over 35, guess that means I can still annoy you. :E

tilewood
30th Oct 2005, 18:10
I plan to become a miserable old git.

I shall have ill- fitting dentures, a grubby shirt with a frayed
collar, trousers with a half-open fly and yellow stains.

I will pretend to be deaf, break wind in Tescos, and hit people
with my stick. I will say exactly what I think regardless of whom
it offends and play with myself in public.

In fact it all sounds so appealing I might just start early!!

:}

G-CPTN
30th Oct 2005, 18:13
>I blame it on the parents.....

Sign in shop 'Free lollipop for children.' Old git asks for HIS lollipop as HE was a child of his parents. Told to come back with his parent!

Wyler
30th Oct 2005, 19:21
Armed aye? Now I like the sound of that. Theres some little shits around here who could do with some 9mm 'counselling'..bah..there I go again.

maxman
30th Oct 2005, 19:47
Tilewood.
Sounds like a plan to me. Do you think in twenty or thirty years time, they will be moaning about us on message boards somewhere.
I hope so.

tilewood
30th Oct 2005, 20:42
Maxman

In my case I fear it will be much sooner than that.

Has anyone seen my teeth? :}

Davaar
30th Oct 2005, 20:55
You have teeth? How many?

con-pilot
30th Oct 2005, 21:06
The older aged generations are people that are 15 years older than me no matter my age.;)

frostbite
30th Oct 2005, 21:10
Tilewood.

Your description of me was sooo cruel!

But entirely accurate.

seacue
30th Oct 2005, 21:42
The birthrate was rather low during the Great Depression. Having been born early in the Depression and graduating uni at age 20, for a number of years I found myself as the youngest employee everywhere I worked. Later, I was generally the youngest person at my organizational level.

Then, in 1979, I gave a technical paper and was introduced by Bob Metcalf (creator of Ethernet) who marveled that I was still doing techincal work after SO many years. Aargh, I'm considered OLD!

Fortunately I've worked at a place that values usefulness. Dr Mc<Somebody> retired in 1967 and still came to work nearly every day for the next 30+ years, until age 93 - compiling a compendium of crystal defraction patterns. The prime mover in our Alumni Association was the outfit's main PR person in the early 1950s. The little group I'm with has no one else who understands analog electronics. I hope they can find my replacement .... someday....

Unfortunately I now find myself telling people about the old days. Bad sign.

seacue

Davaar
30th Oct 2005, 21:45
Exactly so con-pilot, and evidently true in reverse too. At the mall the other day I reached the door as a truly elderly -- belay that! a very old -- man reached the other side. I opened the door and held it for him as he + his walker made it through the eye of the needle. Safely through, he addressed me: "It is so nice to meet a young man with good manners these days".

Astrodome
30th Oct 2005, 21:53
Very recently after an Industry-wide meeting of senior people, a number of us got to reminiscing about those we had known, over a pint or three.

I remarked that one didn't see any of the 'great characters' anymore, and what a shame this was.

A reply came that WE are now the 'great characters'...............

Apparantly this was based upon a conversation with some of the younger generation of Managers !

A very sobering thought !

Davaar
30th Oct 2005, 22:03
Yes, Astro. I remember having dealings with what I perceived as a "lippy junior". I later learned that he perceived me as a "crusty old Scot". How unjust!