PDA

View Full Version : When you were

Tonic Please
30th Oct 2005, 11:02

What memories can you share for this special occasion?

:)

Dan.

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 11:17
At sea, gorra Marconigram off me mum.
Made up forrit in Osaka though.
:E

UniFoxOs
30th Oct 2005, 11:28
Got completely rat-ar$ed, remember vaguely trying to grope the ugliest girl in the room. They told me afterwards that I was found trying to start a friend's car to go home - apparently my keys opened his door but fortunately wouldn't work the ignition - I'd walked there and intended to walk (well, stagger) home as I knew I'd be drinking, but after eight hours boozing anything can happen....he very kindly took me home.

Whirlygig
30th Oct 2005, 11:39
My parents bought me a Schaeffer fountain pen which I still have and use.

I was at Uni at the time and a group of friends clubbed together and took me out for the day in London. Went to the theatre to see Griff Rhys-Jones in Dario Fo's Trumpets & Raspberries, went for an Indonesian meal in Soho and then onto Ronnie Scott's!

One of my best birthdays ever!

Cheers

Whirls

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 11:40
I learnt how to hate.................

Kaptin M
30th Oct 2005, 11:43
I learnt how to LOVE............

Wyler
30th Oct 2005, 11:59
I seemed to have a permanent erection.

airship
30th Oct 2005, 12:22
And nowhere to go with it.

tilewood
30th Oct 2005, 12:23
Wyler, I knew I had seen you before!!

Had a good binge with friends, then next day joined BOAC.

effortless
30th Oct 2005, 12:23
Had quiet pint. Mum and dad gave me an ancient Lieca which wandered about ten years later (I know who knicked it:{ )

Kaptin M
30th Oct 2005, 12:25
I remember that too, Wyler.
What a f:mad:King waste!
Standing/sitting on the bus..in the 'bus/train/tram queue.....thinking of Mavis Bramston (for Aussies only)...the time alone with a bottle of Vaseline......a car of my own.......the girl on the dance floor..

"What I used to do all night, now takes me all night to do".
Actually, from THAT "point" of view it got better - I work smarter for an extended period, rather than short bursts ALL the time, allowing for a better quality of sleep these days.

Purple Haze..........All along the Watchtower.........Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay..........Yummy, yummy yummy, I got love in my tummy...:ugh:

Binoculars
30th Oct 2005, 13:05
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then. :{

Onan the Clumsy
30th Oct 2005, 14:14
I'm looking forward to it

airship
30th Oct 2005, 14:25
That would be dog's years then Onan... ;)

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 14:25
The tradition of not getting the front door key until one was 21 seems to have died out.

Drapes generation had prolly been working for a living for six or seven years before this bloody lot even leave school,then the buggas is allowed to take a fecking Gap year.why can't we crumblies take a Gap year huh?
:rolleyes:

Binoculars
30th Oct 2005, 14:31
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mr. D, you are in a permanent gap year!

tony draper
30th Oct 2005, 14:43
True, but one likes to grumble now and again,one of the few rights still allowed to us ancients is a good grump.

Gouabafla
30th Oct 2005, 15:00
And even the grumps are not as good as they used to be.

Binoculars
30th Oct 2005, 15:01
Bloody kids nowadays wouldn't know a decent grump if it hit them in the arse. :mad:

Jerricho
30th Oct 2005, 15:02
"I sense the grump is strong with this one............."

frostbite
30th Oct 2005, 15:40
Nowadays you only have to be 18 to be 21....

SLFguy
30th Oct 2005, 15:44
er... I kid you not - there's a grandmother of two round our way.......

She's 31!!

diginagain
30th Oct 2005, 15:55
Oo er, 21? Let's think......

I'd have been in Germany with the Army, so it's almost certain that the consumption of alcoholic beverages would have been involved somewhere.......

Other than that, who knows......? :uhoh:

timmcat
30th Oct 2005, 16:04
Tied naked to a lamppost with eggs being cracked on my head (and my elder sister was the ringleader... :{ )

BombayDuck
30th Oct 2005, 16:29
well... it was last year. Shame i can't remember any of it.

and i don drink either :{

oh yeah... i think i went to college... yes, thats about it.

*sigh*

Farrell
30th Oct 2005, 17:36
I remember my 21st birthday oh so well. I was doubled over on my knees, trying to hold onto my nads and stomach at the same time while a "caporal" was towering over me shouting "C'est quinze...QUINZE"
Counting was not my strong point and I had a black eye for three weeks until I finally learned the sequence in French.......no birthday cake, no presents......just lots of cassoulet and a Kepi Blanc a few weeks later at Castelnaudary.

Oh the memories!!:p

Maple 01
30th Oct 2005, 17:55
Sitting on a mountain in the Falklands 'desiring the right' to be elsewhere

Locals sent me a cake!

We had a cake and beer party - I was very, very drunk.......

Mac the Knife
30th Oct 2005, 19:55
I have no idea. Can't remember it at all.

But it was the end of the 60s and, as they say, if you can remember them, you weren't there.

candoo
30th Oct 2005, 20:03
....... a real person and not addicted:sad: :sad:

flufdriver
30th Oct 2005, 20:25
The world was there for me to explore!

Sex was safe and fun, motorcycling was dangerous and most Girls had real breasts.

Drank too much, smoked too much, party'd a lot, without a care in the world except for the occasional (7day) war in the middle east.

I do miss those days!

JustaFew
30th Oct 2005, 21:22
Copping off with an ex, giving up smoking, being paid sweet FA.

Fond memories:)

Tonic Please
30th Oct 2005, 21:41
Well my 21st birthday is coming to a close and I'm please to say that I shared it with my french girlfriend during a nice meal at Thames Court restaurant with 8 other family members and I also acquired a new student for my Jazz piano lessons..

Also, I have made about 15 errors so far which is probably the 6 glasses of 13% wine I had.

Bleedin' good chicken caesar salad too..Now, it's time to be loved by the other half.

Good night all :ooh:

:E

timmcat
30th Oct 2005, 21:47
Happy birthday Dan.

Tonic Please
30th Oct 2005, 21:52
Thank you Tim..appreciated.

Farrell
30th Oct 2005, 22:09
Now, it's time to be loved by the other half.

11 minutes later.....you posted again
That's about average for a 21 year old I suppose ;)

timmcat
30th Oct 2005, 22:20
... but what did he do for the other 10?

Tonic Please
30th Oct 2005, 22:45
Well, how long have I been now??

:ugh:

We've just been having a chat actually, comp running in backround, about her father back in Belfort, France. She recieved a call that he was not so good and had a visit to the hospital..so I was just giving her some encouraging words.

Give me time people, give me time...

:8

G-CPTN
30th Oct 2005, 23:01
We want a blow-by-blow account . . .

Blacksheep
31st Oct 2005, 03:57
But it was the end of the 60s and, as they say, if you can remember them, you weren't there.I was there and remember them clearly. Its the women who can't remember the 60's.
Not in front of the children anyway... :suspect:

My 21st was straight off a Mickey Finn and I shared the upstairs function room at Waddington Village's Horse & Jockey with a WRAF from Air Tragic who had the same birthday. What with two lots of guests and two DJ's it was quite a party as I recall, but then every night was a riot in those days. I wish I still had the stamina!

Strange Brew... Hey Joe!... oh wow! the colours man, the colours! (and that was just the clothes ;) )

sprocket
31st Oct 2005, 05:17
1. Lost my girlfriend to my best mate.

2. Got totally ratsarsed

3. Picked up another friends sister

4. Kept neighbour up till 4:30am with the noise of screaming nurses and loud radio. (1952 cowshed vintage HMV)

5. Got a total dressing down by Mrs Neighbour at 8am at my front door for about 20 minutes (she turned out to be the nurses matron at local hospital)

6. Felt particularly old that day.

BenThere
31st Oct 2005, 05:24
I had the misfortune of being born in early June, so I was forced to be cramming for finals in college the day I reached majority. I remember being put upon and incensed about it. I celebrated later and often, but it wasn't the same.

jon s gull
31st Oct 2005, 06:43
remember the good old 1980's
when things were so uncomplicated
i wish i could go back there again
and everything could be the same

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2005, 12:00
Getting a surprise present of a beer tankard from a nurse at RAFH Nocton Hall who had seen it was my birthday, something I had forgotten.

Gordon Fraser
31st Oct 2005, 12:32
Back to the thread

Being rear-ended twice by the same large ancient American car
in Chowringhee, Calcutta

1DC
31st Oct 2005, 14:21
Like Mr. D. I was at sea but feeling rather poorly.Little did I know it would turn out to be an amoebic abcess on my liver that nearly did for me. I was lucky enough to last long enough to be put ashore in a fine oil company hospital in the Persian Gulf, otherwise you lot would probably have been spared my ramblings to this forum!!
Drifting the thread a little, Mr. D. made up for his 21st. in Osaka. I spent my 18th. in Osaka, three months in drydock. I cannot think of a better way for a young lad to be educated into the better things in life..
Come to think of it Mr. D. and I may have been sailing the oceans at the same time I remember seeing the good ship "Thirlby" at some time..

flugholm
1st Nov 2005, 11:40
On my 21st birthday while on holiday in London, I went to The Record And Tape Exchange and bought "No Time To Be 21" by The Adverts. Then went to their singer and had it autographed. Those were the days...!

tony draper
1st Nov 2005, 12:03
She was doing the San Tanker run when I sailed on her Mr IDC,One trip down the South American Coast,next trip up the North American Coast, so they didn't have to pay us Yanky Bonus it was claimed.
be 1960 /61 thereabouts,did just under a twelve month in her,payed off in Roterdam,happy days.

SmilingKnifed
1st Nov 2005, 16:07
Projectile barfed in the St Mawgan Mess toilets and fainted on Watergate in full view of my family (yard of ale, vodka red bulls and a side order of absinthe, what was I thinking?!).

What a young Officer and gentleman I was!

slim_slag
1st Nov 2005, 16:20
Ate my passport on the channel ferry back from Boulogne and ended up in small room with two very pissed off special branch officers.

Got released then on way to Dover railway station saw a coach load of French tourists so we all dropped our trousers and showed them the brown eye. Bus pulled away to reveal two policemen standing on pavement, swift getaway precluded by trousers around ankles, quickly apprehended and invited to visit yet another small room.

Seem to remember all our duty free falling off the trolley and smashing on the customs hall floor, but that bit is hazy, though there was a big stain on the carpet in the same place for the next ten years.

tall and tasty
1st Nov 2005, 16:40
My 21st was spent most of the evening flat on my back!!!

I spent it , my 21st at a roller disco and as I was in the process of learning at the time I usually spent most of my evening like that falling over with my legs in the air.

Oh the good old days and then I learnt to do it properly and stayed upright from then on, sometimes going sideways, backwards and forwards. I wish they had not closed the place down it was a brilliant place on a Monday, Tuesday and Friday night to go and have fun!

TnT :p :ok:

1DC
1st Nov 2005, 18:52
Dusted of the discharge book and whilst you were on the Thirlby Mr. D., I was a Caltex man suffering the Indian coast in the wrong monsoon, and occasionally enjoying places further east.which is where they reckoned i got the abcess(Indian coast, not the places further east!!) I think we had the best years of a life at sea, not so good now.