PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone/PDA angst.

Conan the Librarian
29th Oct 2005, 23:41
I have yesterday taken delivery of a Sony Ericsson P910i - a larger format phone with many PDA features, a glorious touch sensitive screen and many bells and whistles which I will probably never use.

I love the phone and I love synching it to the PC (Outlook mainly) to get appointments, etc. all switched through. The only catch is, that unless I go and sit in a field up by the Thames, it will not make a phone call, which admittedly, in this day and age, might be a rather quaint reason for owning such a device. The network coverage here is not good for many networks, especially O2 or so it turns out to be.

It looks as though I will have to part company with this delightful object and seek another device with (Definitely!!!) another network.

Anybody got any clues?

Many T's

Conan

Wing Commander Fowler
30th Oct 2005, 08:22
Can you take it back to where you purchased it since there could be a fault in the unit - had it once with (believe it or not) an ericsson :(

BOAC
30th Oct 2005, 15:19
I ditched a SE T68i for poor signal performance after a Google showed I was not alone.

Conan the Librarian
30th Oct 2005, 20:36
HaHa! Further research suggests that although there is no trouble returning it, the networks that work here in Lechlade, (Virgin, T Mobile and simple telepathy) do not offer this particular phone. A great pity as it really is a cracking multi purpose and multi media device.

I wonder if any Ppruners are using a similarly endowed toy and what they might tout as being a potential replacement..

Conan the Librarian
5th Nov 2005, 13:07
Problem resolved! Or should that be "Have given up" I forgot about the phone and have gone for a Dell Axim X51V PDA. Hopefully, I can bluetooth through my existing phone and work from there. It looks quite possible to use it as a VoIP (internet) phone as well, which with wireless coverage might be helpful.

Conan

Addendum

Best laugh of all now.... My neighbour has just given me his Sony Ericsson P800 which is esentially the same phone/PDA as the 910i but aesthetically, a generation earlier. Put my old Virgin SIM into it and Voila! Mucho signal strength!! Sometimes, I ought just to stay in bed I think....