PDA

View Full Version : Two logbooks or one ?

Turbine
17th Jun 2001, 11:55
Just wondering if and why those dual licenced pilots (fixed and rotary wing) use two (or seperate) logbooks or just the one.

Does anybody know CASA's preference in Oz?

Thanks.

HeliEng
17th Jun 2001, 12:44
Two log books are better than one!!!

It makes it easier to add up rotary and fixed wing hours, and it means you don't have to go through a whole heap of irrelevent information to try and find things.

And besides, we'd all be too embaressed to show other rotary pilots that we fly fixed wing!!!!!!!

'Some days you are the statue and some days you are the Pigeon'

rotorque
17th Jun 2001, 15:09
Turbine,

I use an electronic log book now to keep all the records.

If you wondering why, it's because for some reason I accumulated a whole lot of A4 sheets of different certificates and CASA qualification forms etc and I had no place to stick them. It is far easier to pump out a printed copy of my log book and put the pages into one of those clear plastic pocket books. It keeps all the info together.

Moral of the story is that with an electronic log book you only need one. You can get the program to differentiate any info you want, like fixed wing hours, or night hours, or hours on type etc. It makes the whole job alot easier and I have to admit it looks neater as well.

Cheers

connavar
18th Jun 2001, 16:05
HeliEng,

Yeah right!
And when exactly did you get your licence, Rotary, Fixed-wing or Engineering?

You can't con the Conn.

HeliEng
18th Jun 2001, 17:03
Not my views, views of a colleague Heli Pilot I am afraid!

Time to wind your neck in!!!

Balance!
18th Jun 2001, 17:10
I use two books (and an electronic version to do all those calculations asked of us by the CAA). I still like the written word - makes it more personal and something for my kids to show their kids etc. I still have old war-time workbooks and exercise books that my father used to keep when he was in Signals. It's nice to see the handwriting and have touch with the past. Even though I'm very involved with IT and technology, it doesn't pass on any hint of nostalgia!

connavar
18th Jun 2001, 17:24
HeliEng,
I have no neck. Too much time spent crawling under cowlings. Please dont take offence your post came over as saying you are something other than you are. Cant abide that. When are you coming back to the world of oily rags?

You can't con the Conn.

QM
18th Jun 2001, 18:46
I've been writing electronic logbook software for yonks. Haven't used a handwritten logbook for several years, just print out the sheets and stick them in, with the signed certificate. Meets all FAA and CAA/JAA requirements.

As I fly both rotary and fixed wing beasties and have done for the last twelve years, one book suits me fine. The palmtop I use fits in my pocket, travels with me and keeps an eye on my FTL requirements for me at a glance!

Come on guys, get with the computer age!

HeliEng
18th Jun 2001, 19:10
connavar

I don't know when, hopefully not after too long.

I miss is terribly, and want to get back into it.

Might get a few JAR exams under my belt??

Drop me an e-mail:- [email protected]

Hope to hear from you soon

Qualityman
18th Jun 2001, 19:14
I have to agree with QM on this one.
Having worked with several pilots who fly both Rotary and planks (In the same boat as HeliEng), the most organised of all are those that computerise their Log books.

I have a Handspring Visor (£199.00) and have downloaded a Log book programme (£15.00) as a trial to convince other pilots to use it. It's superb. It takes a bit of time to get all of the different aircrafts details in, but it will even do your C of G for you.

You can also use the data to print off forms in in Microsoft Office Applications.

Stop killing the trees. Get a paperless office.

Kyrilian
18th Jun 2001, 23:20
Qualityman,
May I ask which software you use/where you got it? I presume you can back it up on your PC? I've been logging on paper and then putting it into my own excel spreadsheet, but it would be nice to just do it once! :)

paco
19th Jun 2001, 04:16
Just use one logbook, but do a monthly summary (ex-mil habit) which I extract into a spreadsheet on the Psion

cheers

Phil

EESDL
19th Jun 2001, 17:40
Mil fw paper
Civvy rotary paperless..with the added advantage that it prints out your FDR, Invoice, C of G and updates your CV:-)

Qualityman
19th Jun 2001, 18:16
Kyrilian,

I use a programme called PalmLog Pro, not too shabby. Try this link. http://www.nomadtech.com/palmlog/

EESDL,
Nice to now you're back in the country!! Oh what an incestuous Industry. People talk you know!

SteveR
22nd Jun 2001, 16:52
This thread has moved into territory very close to my heart, as I have a website for storing logbooks online.

I'm still a primitive fixed winger, so I don't know if rotary pilots use a different format - but I'd love to get some rotary pilots onboard and then tweak it to your needs.

You can choose to keep your logbook private if you like, and I'll supply a copy of your data for backup purposes any time you ask. From my logs I see that increasingly, people are liking to cross reference the data and see who has flown the same aircraft as them, or with the same instructor.

Because the system becomes more interesting/useful with more data in the system, I'm happy to accept your logentries in spreadsheets or other digital forms - I'll even type them in if you send me photocopies....

OK, plug mode off.

Steve R

------------------
PPL(A) EGTO
View my logbook, back up your own:
http://www.e-logbooks.co.uk

EESDL
26th Jun 2001, 00:31
Qualityman
How are you managing with more than one engine per aircraft?
Getting out and about much?
Well I'm back in the country now, so you had better lock up your small furry beasts:-)

HeliEng
26th Jun 2001, 16:31
EESDL:

Nothing changes!

Qualityman
26th Jun 2001, 16:55
To all Sorry this is absolutely unhelicopter related. It's a personal chat now.

EESDL,
I subscribe to the philosophy that having two engines means that there is twice as much to go wrong! And it's been proven time and again since being here. How was your little AWOL excursion, did you break something, or just get lost en route.

The little furry beasts at Camp Curtis have been working overtime and sometime in December we will have a QualityMini-Man / Miss joining the ranks.

I've heard that your choice of uniform hasn't immproved in the last few months. There seems to be some sort of competition amongst the rowdier Ground Crew to try and beat your attire this year.

Will try to talk to you properly soon,

Best Regards to you and the misssus,

Paul.