PDA

View Full Version : CHIRP - Level Best 2 DVD

Canada Goose
29th Oct 2005, 17:23
Hi there,

I tried to view the DVD 'Level Best' that was sent out with this quarters release of CHIRP. However, on trying to play it I am informed;
"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."

I bought the PC about 12-18 months ago throught the internet. It was quite high spec and came with a DVD drive and so I am quite surprised it won't play the DVD, which incidentally, I have never tried using before and have just tried playing another DVD and same response.

Do you think the company that sold it to me didn't set it up properly. I know they hadn't properly connected some of the USB ports properly as this was discovered whilst doing a data migration from my old PC hard drive !

Can anyone recommend a course of action !?

Thanks
CG.
:confused:

mcdhu
29th Oct 2005, 17:35
Me too! Slung it in the Dvd player and it played a treat!!

Cheers,
mcdhu

Conan the Librarian
29th Oct 2005, 17:38
You may be able to update the drivers for the DVD drive. You might be able to get the latest revisions from the PC manufacturer/reseller or you can get to the drivers via the device manager in Windows

Conan

BOAC
29th Oct 2005, 18:09
I thought it a very well put together DVD.

I have abandoned WMP10 for DVDs in favour of 'Intervideo' but I believe you need to download 'xpack' DVD codecs to make WMP work with DVDs.

I agree, in 2005 with SP2, XP should just 'DO' DVDs out of the box. As it is you need these extra bits to add. Good old MS:rolleyes:

terrain safe
29th Oct 2005, 20:46
The reason it doesn't work is that the 'codec' or code to make it work is owned by someone other than Microsoft, so they would have to pay a fee for every copy of windows. Not a problem you might say but if you own a company and have 50,000 pcs it would cost £100,000 at £2 per licence when you may not even have a DVD drive in your computer. You need to download a free one such as this one (http://www.cliprex.com/) . Now I just did a quick google search and this came up so I don't know if it works, or contains spyware or whatever. But if you wish you can do a search yourself using the phrase DVD program and see what comes up. Apparently, although I haven't watched it myself, it's not as good as the first one (and I'm only saying that 'cos I know some of the people in them!)

TS

Canada Goose
30th Oct 2005, 09:35
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the suggestions and see it it brings success. Might be an idea to call the vendor, though always nice to have a rough idea what's what before doing so !

Cheers,
CG.