PDA

View Full Version : Windows Shuts Down on Start Up

mcdhu
29th Oct 2005, 16:44
Strange one this. Since cleaning out all cookies via CCleaner and upgrading my NAV, when starting up the machine, about one time in 5, I get the blue screen with a load of words about Windows shutting down to protect itself etc and how to start in Safe etc, but it does give the following technical info:

STOP: OxOOOOOOOA, (Ox7E3AA6BE {and sometimes Ox116BEAAD}, OxOOOOOOO2, OxOOOOOOOO, Ox804E469A)

On restarting, it comes up fine. Can anyone shed any light on what this might be all about before I start reinstalling NAV etc.

Win XP with SP2 and all the patches. Dell Dimension, AOL Bb.

Cheers,
mcdhu

Hobgoblin
31st Oct 2005, 04:53
Dunno if this will help but I had a virus that did the same thing (more or less) that had climbed on from the Internet. Got rid of it though:ok: Try running a couple of the free scans both for spyware/ adware and virusses. Also download a trojan cleaner.

Try a couple of the free ones as one program alone will not find everything that is hiding on your sustem. I'm not saying you are infected so be careful that you don't react to false positives.

Good luck

oldfella
31st Oct 2005, 19:01
Had similar problems - virus caused mine.

If running Windows XP turn off system restore before running virus checker/adaware/spyware type programme. There are now nasties that reside on the other side of the restore point and your virus programme may not look there - you think that you have cleaned everything out then it comes back on next boot-up.

I normally turn off the restore, reboot, scan and clean, delete all previous restore points, switch on restore and make a new restore point.

frostbite
31st Oct 2005, 20:26
I have just had a problem - also starting from when I downloaded the latest CCleaner and ran it!

Mine was a changed password for my dialup and it would not change back when I entered the correct one. It also inserted itself into any new dialup connections I made.

Only way out was to use system restore to a previous setting.

rotorcraig
31st Oct 2005, 20:29
STOP: OxOOOOOOOA, (Ox7E3AA6BE {and sometimes Ox116BEAAD}, OxOOOOOOO2, OxOOOOOOOO, Ox804E469A)Apologies for the thread hijack, but has anyone ever known anything to have been debugged using the hex addresses in messages such as this :confused:

RC

Saab Dastard
31st Oct 2005, 21:34
Yes, but only by programmers! Unless you can make sense of the information - the value of the data held in specific registers at the time of the crash - it is meaningless. Occasionally you get messages that point to a particular file or module that is meaningful - e.g. graphics sub-system.

mcdhu
1st Nov 2005, 18:00
Think I've fixed it! On another currently running thread 'Lost Windows Update/System Restore', blame for similar symptoms is laid on the recent update KB 896688, but rather than download the 'unofficial' patch, I have uninstalled said update and all appears normal! Time will tell!!

Cheers and thanks,
mcdhu