PDA

View Full Version : Thank you "War on Terror", thank you

Agent747
29th Oct 2005, 12:31
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4383296.stm

US oil giant Exxon Mobil has posted a quarterly profit of $9.9bn (5.55bn), the largest in US corporate history, on the back of record oil and gas prices.

The highest in US history. That's 707 a second! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Standard Noise
29th Oct 2005, 13:34
No, no, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO! NO!
The war had absolutely nothing whatsoever in any way, shape or form to do with oil and money!!!!:rolleyes:

Gunship
29th Oct 2005, 13:46
Might our great grand children never read this thread ... what a waist of space is this "war on terror". :mad:

Or is it "terror on war" ? :E

Onan the Clumsy
29th Oct 2005, 14:02
Perhaps then they'll be willing to chip in a little?

Binoculars
29th Oct 2005, 15:45
I for one find offensive the suggestion that Exxon profited handsomely from increased oil prices. They, along with all the other major oil companies, have promised that the prices the masses are paying for gasoline in their cars reflect only the costs they as producers have incurred. And that's good enough for me.

I for one also have absolutely no doubt that the board of Exxon will suggest at their AGM that a goodly percentage of those profits be poughed back into the pockets of those who may have suffered from rising oil prices. Equally I have no doubt that the institutional shareholders will vote as one with the Mum and Dad shareholders to support this notion.

Those suggesting otherwise should be ashamed. Philanthropy is and will continue to be the cornerstone of American charity.

frostbite
29th Oct 2005, 18:08
The pixies at the bottom of your garden will be proud of you for that.

Capt.KAOS
29th Oct 2005, 18:13
"Royal Dutch Shell PLC, one of the world's largest oil companies, said Thursday its third-quarter profit grew 67 percent to $9.39 billion, as soaring oil prices outweighed lost production and damage to rigs from hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico."

I mean, this is fcuking GROSS... :mad: :mad:

Sammie_nl
29th Oct 2005, 19:36
excuse my ignorance....

But did the war in Iraq lead to a slow down in supply of oil from the Middle East? Was there something a supply shortage of crude oil in the past year, due to the war on terror?

I just fail to see the connection between the War on Terror, and high oil prices. I do see that speculation on future rising oil prices lead to speculation, which leads to higher prices. And I also see a huge increase in demand of oil and oil products, while refinery capacity stays roughly the same.

But I could be wrong off course:confused: