PDA

View Full Version : Cost of getting a CPL in Queensland?

7balja01
29th Oct 2005, 08:17
How many $ would i need to complete a commercial licence in queensland?:hmm:

BigMike
29th Oct 2005, 08:21
From start to finish? or are you part way through and swapping school's?

7balja01
29th Oct 2005, 08:25
from start to finish my friend.:= just kidding:O

BigMike
29th Oct 2005, 08:35
Well the normal thing to do would be to pick up the yellow pages and look under flying school's. You will find quite a few in SE Queensland. Call Rotorwing, PHS, Chopperline, Blue-Tonque, Aeropower (theres more) and ask for an approximate cost. Do you have 40,000+ to spend?

7balja01
29th Oct 2005, 09:18
not quite.:(

hmm maybe i could.......:E

bwm85
30th Oct 2005, 01:02
From my recent experience i wouldn't expect much change outta $45000. By the time you pay for the actual cost of the flying itself, your books, exams, ground school instructor if you so require and cartons of beer you have to purchase at every step along the way it really begins to add up. Then you go for those little extra things that make you stick out from every other person with a cpl (h) - the turbine endorsement, the 44 endorsement etc etc etc.

outhouse
30th Oct 2005, 10:31
About 45- 50,000 AUD would seem about it for the basic CPLH and night VFR. Add the 206, the command instrument rating and some fun with under slung stuff and you’re up around 100,000 AUD I expect.
Have fun
Outhouse

BigMike
30th Oct 2005, 12:00
All you really require in the begining is the basic licence + maybe a 44 and 206 rating. No one is going to let you fly Night VFR, or on Instruments until you have a fair bit of experience.
Your first job is likely to be tourist's and getting the ocassional ferry flight.
Most school's will give you a approximate total cost if you ask (books, fees, flying, accomodation, etc)
As mentioned, 45-50k would be a good budget. It will depend a lot on what sort of a deal the school can give you, ie reduced rate for turbine time, if you do all your training with them, etc.
Ask around.

7balja01
31st Oct 2005, 00:50
thanks mates.

one other thing. how long on average would it take me to complete all this with turbine endo. as well

2 or 3 years?

also, can anyone give me an average on how high my salary might be during the first couple of years? i dont expect to get rich quick especially with john howard in power. would i be looking at say, 20k aus.

cheers. jacob (industrial relations laws+john howard=:mad:)

hmmmm maybe i could...............:E :\ :{

or maybe not.

bwm85
31st Oct 2005, 01:56
Full time your prob looking at around 8-9months to finish your licence, that is flying twice a day and allowing 1- 2 weeks per subject for your 7 theory exams. Also depends on how busy your training school is, as obviously you can only fly if they have a machine and instructor available.

last third
31st Oct 2005, 04:05
7balja01

You could consider the Navy or the Army. You'll end up on choppers and on around $80-120 k.

Paying for endorsements and training is only measured by how many years you are required to stick around!

Lasty.

:confused:

mustering guru
31st Oct 2005, 05:19
Go for Chopperline mate!!!

ken, Tub, Ian all awesome guys with years behind them!

and like it has been mentioned they have it all in the one building from start to finish.......in my opinion, I wouldnt worry about the 206 yet get your R22 or 300 and maybe a 44, if later someone says they would give you a job if you have it go and do it then.

Cheers

MG

BigMike
31st Oct 2005, 06:13
Ahh... it's a classic line isn't it:
"can anyone give me an average on how high my salary might be during the first couple of years?" What? you expect to be paid? "get rich"... some more research on your part is required I think....

7balja01
31st Oct 2005, 21:43
why bother with choppers if i dont get paid?;)

Boost Pump
31st Oct 2005, 22:04
As Big Mike said, do a little more research..if you manage to score a full time job you will be paid not that well :{ but paid nonetheless..if your starting out doing ferrys etc etc you may just have to accept your getting hours for free untill you crack something.

good luck its not an easy road and ive seen so many give up then again ive seen many guys succeed and are in very good jobs now..so theres light at the end of the tunnel:ok:

7balja01
31st Oct 2005, 23:28
i have loved helicopters since i was a kid and i understand making money is about getting the hours up but how many hours must one do until they start making any good money.

i havent yet completed school and im looking for options. my dad mentioned the army???

BigMike
1st Nov 2005, 06:39
The Army or Navy would be a good option for you. All your training for free, and if your good enough, you may end up zipping around the country side in the new Tiger. Go to you local requiting office and talk to them. Have a look here:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=48&j=294

7balja01
1st Nov 2005, 09:02
big mike your a beauty,

ive been searching for info on def. jobs for a while and i become interested about a year ago. I used some links on those pages which came up with some useful info. im no pesimist and i believe i could possibly make it in with a little extra effort in my school work to meet the entry requirements.

wish me luck in my next few years ahead.

jacob.:8

The Ozzie BOY
1st Nov 2005, 17:57
7balja01
Check your PM's

eagle 86
1st Nov 2005, 22:04
7balja01
Having been an Army instructor in reasonably recent times I can tell you that the competition is tough - you will have to strive to do your best every day in every way. Review your recent post - you will see that you have taken short cuts that are symptoms of laziness and also your use of the English language is not the best. The military is the best way to achieve your goals but it is not easy!
GAGS
E86

7balja01
2nd Nov 2005, 05:19
eagle 86

If you say you cant, You cant.

If you say you can, and put in the effort, you can.

You may be right eagle, maybe i'll never make it in but ill give it a damn good try.

I might even end up like this:}

As long as i dont sit back and:zzz:

jacob.:ok:

the OSB won\'t forget my face too quickly.:cool:

jacob.

Sambo Boy
2nd Nov 2005, 06:17
That Crystal Meth is sure having a strange effect on you young lads in Australia... don't worry about the OSB, worry about the psychs and the urine test before you even get to sit before the OSB.:suspect:

7balja01
2nd Nov 2005, 06:20
Urine test:confused: :confused:

r44tropic
2nd Nov 2005, 07:35
7balja01

Get ready for a very steep learning curve.....your still in school and your being a smart a***. i know guys that have been slogging away for over 2 years after paying for their own license and endorsements and spend every bit of their time ferrying machines and cleaning hangers and machines. Thats what you'll have to do!!

Theres 1% that are extremly lucky and get a start full time flying joyflights but they were in the right place at the right time and had connections to help them get to where they are now.

Your lucky in the fact that your obviously young, forget how much money your going to earn cause like anyone of us that paid for their own license you'll do what you have to do to fly and log hours regardless of how much their paying, because mate you'll soon realise thats its not much.

When you've gained the respect of your peers and have earnt your stripes then you can start climd the ladder, slowly!

7balja01
3rd Nov 2005, 00:34
thanks for re-stating my personal statement r44tropics

:confused:

overpitched
3rd Nov 2005, 01:43
7balja01

One of the things I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is what a small industry we are in Australia so my advice to you would be if you want to continue to be a DICK on this site then maybe you should think about not putting your name on your posts.

wishtobflying
3rd Nov 2005, 02:43
Urine test :confused: :confused:

The urine test is on your Spec Testing day, after the JOES day. Have you been to a JOES day yet?

eagle 86
3rd Nov 2005, 05:34
7balja01
There are a lot of different people on this site - some will try to help you, perhaps a little pointedly, others are dicks - "would be if they could be's" - they usually have a lot of trouble remembering what it was like for them only a few short years ago and even a shorter few hours ago - don't be put off by these "jumped up won't come down" types.
GAGS E86

7balja01
3rd Nov 2005, 05:48
thanks eagle 86

but for some, man, chill out

Why am i getting called "d#ck" and a "smart a@se"

Im only looking for advice

Im 15 years old.......... for jebus sake

Im willing to put my life on the line in the defence force okay! please dont call me a stupid young tosser. i have relatives in the ADF and i know exactly how time consuming, backbreaking, hard working, and tense it can be in army training.

Im still gonna give it a go, even if i have got two more years until i can join up. maybe cadets is an idea(another one from my dad).

(it cant be any worse than scouts):yuk:

Jacob.(and proud to be):ok:

BigMike
3rd Nov 2005, 07:02
Jacob, just a little bit of advice. What people have been saying here is true. It is a very small industry in Australia, and if you are taking the civil route it's your atitude which will get you places. It's great that your keen on flying and are thinking about the military, but listen to what others have said. You are sometimes better just to listen, rather than try and come back with a clever comment.
Having a good atitude, working VERY hard, and always being willing to listen to others will let you succeed in this industry. I had this drummed in to me when I started. You will find people will give you a chance if they think you deserve it.
A good start at your age would be to approuch some of the local operators in your area and see if you can become a "Hanger Rat" another words, help out sweeping the floors, cleaning the machine and company vehicles, etc. You will most likely get to go on flights and get to learn about commercial operations, but more to the point, you will start to prove yourself in front of future employers. Depending on what part of SE Queensland you live I might be able to suggest someone.

I won't say good luck, as luck has little to do with succeeding in this game. Just what I have stated above.

Cheers BigMike

7balja01
3rd Nov 2005, 10:30
very well said bigmike,

Im just wondering whats up with these fellas. i dont think i want to meet some of these people.

Is it not my right to know how much i might earn if i become a civilian pilot?

jacob.(still proud to be):confused:

wishtobflying
3rd Nov 2005, 11:03
I wish I was at your age with the opportunities in aviation, I think things are going to improve and you'll be at the right age to take advantage of it for most if not all of your career before it turns down again.

Big Mike's post should be printed and hung on your wall and recited like a mantra every morning.

If you want to be an ADF pilot, cadets is a GREAT idea, not just a good idea. I've just been through the whole application process, just waiting to find out if I've got a start for the next SSO course in March/April, so I'm very familiar with the Recruiting side of things right now.

Also definitely get out there and get involved. Lots of things for you to start on right now to improve your chances (young sprogs take note): sports at school, leader on school camps, leader in anything, start a club outside school, move up the ranks in Scouts, buy a logbook and start logging time, however short, get your medical, get your student licence, get a job pumping petrol or stacking shelves or delivering pizza and use the money to pay for flying time, do everything you can to show this is what you TRULY want to do, not just something you woke up today and thought "hey I'd like to be a pilot, that sounds cool".

DON'T move out of home because it will take valuable flying money to live somewhere else, not to mention the time it takes to buy your food, prepare it, wash your clothes, etc. (Hi mum, aren't you glad I moved out?!)

You're much better off living at home while you're devoting your entire existence to becoming a pilot. Don't be sidetracked by other stuff like girls and thinking you need money for anything other than flying. DON'T buy a car - get yourself a 50cc motorbike/scooter and you'll get an extra hour of flying every fortnight just from the petrol you'll save. If you have a car, sell it and buy the scooter and use the money to get flying time. See above re: petrol.

BE a hangar rat - I don't have experience in this but I wish I had, I'm a little old now.

Be humble (something I'm still working on). Be confident, yet aware of your limitations and lack of knowledge. Be a sponge, listen and learn. Be yourself, you don't have to prove anything to anyone when you're at the bottom of the ladder.

Anyway, that's enough for now. I have to go make some money, and besides I'm realising I'm sounding a bit like I'm about to say "Ahhh grasshopper, you have maaaaach to learn". :ok:

7balja01
4th Nov 2005, 00:49
wishtobe flying,

That was very inspiring. What kind of flying do you mean each fortnight. Only a couple of months ago i did a pre training "fun flight" in a small cessna and got to fly by myself with an instructor at my side.

It was awesome:D

It was just a flight to see if the client would wish to continue in training.

Is that what you mean by flying in my spare time?What am i permitted to do with an aircraft at my age?

jacob.:)

By the way, i wish you a lot of luck for the Special Service Officer application. i look forward to hearing the news in a few months time!

wishtobflying
4th Nov 2005, 02:24
I assume you've read in detail the information on licensing and training: http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/learntofly.htm

You have to be 16 years old to apply for a student licence, however my understanding is that you can log hours flown with an instructor before you apply for the student licence, so if you're serious you could start getting some hours up now. Go out and get that logbook and go back to where you did your TIF (Trial Introductory Flight) and get the instructor to put that flight in as your first flight. Every hour or half hour counts.

When I say flying in your spare time I mean as a student with an instructor. If you're serious about being a helicopter pilot, try to get some rotary time in occasionally, but that will probably be difficult for you right now because it's about quadruple the price of fixed wing flying.

You asked before about what sort of pay level to expect. I'm not a pilot yet, but from reading on here and speaking with many people in the industry, you should be prepared to make less INITIALLY than you would at your petrol station or pizza delivery or shelf stacking job. That's life. Keep in mind that during the initial training period with the Defence Force you will also get paid less than those types of jobs.

Get familiar with what an "endorsement" is, and what it means to your future career. Do you want to muster cattle? You'll need a mustering endorsement. Do you want to do crop spraying? You'll need an AG endorsement. Not to mention specific aircraft type endorsements. All these cost money on top of your initial CPL. Getting a CPL means you can get paid to fly - making a career of it involves going a lot further than just the CPL.

It's like if you want to be a psychologist - you study a 4 year undergraduate degree, THEN do a postgraduate degree for a year, THEN do your Masters for a year, THEN work under supervision for a year (or two) and only then are you a qualified psychologist ... 7 years! After getting your undergrad degree you could work as a counsellor or guidance officer but you won't get paid nearly as much as being a full psychologist.

After getting your CPL you could go and fly remote areas, do some mustering, but you're not going to get into the big bucks until you start talking about having twin-turbine Pilot-in-command time with command instrument rating.

But what do I know? I'm not even a pilot. Listen to what those with experience have to say.

7balja01
4th Nov 2005, 07:38
whishtobeflying,

Im gonna shut up and listen!

jacob.:ok:

Sambo Boy
4th Nov 2005, 15:06
Thank god for that...

bellfest
5th Nov 2005, 00:11
Jacob,
The best thing you could do old mate is get an apprenticeship as an ame. Learn your ****, get your foot well and truly in the door and do your flying soon thereafter.
There is money in it( not for the duration of your apprenticeship), a lot of learning and development and grounds for a thorough understanding of what you are flying.
It will also greatly increase your employment prospects in years to come.
You have to be mechanically minded of course. Are you?
There is a huge shortage of engineers and it is only getting worse and if you were interested in this path you will be able to name your price by the time you become qualified and experienced enough.

wishtobeflying,

"making a career of it means going a little bit further than a CPL"

You didn\'t do your training with Becker did you??

Did you go that further mile?

If so, why do you still wishtobeflying?

R22 or B47 and an R44 in the course of the CPL is all you need.

Maybe they could chuck in a low level approval to be nice.

r44tropic
5th Nov 2005, 08:55
7baljao1

young fella it sounds like your starting to take some advice, you might have found my words harsh but hey if you enter your CPL its just like taking on an apprenticeship. You really will start at the bottom of the ladder and have to shut your mouth and take onboard what the more experienced pilots tell you. I did my time in a r22 and payed for my own r44 endorsement and also sling, as well as this i did the huet course and the robbo safety course. I paid for all of it because i wanted to fly for a living and anything i could do to get me there i did, after 1 year of working every spare minute at the hanger i trained in cleaning and washing helicopters, sweeping hanger floors blah blah blah and as well as that time doing every ferry and joyflight i could manage, my instructor recommended me for a job and i havn't looked back.

After logging many hours in the r44 i was put through my jetranger endorsement and only in the last month im now flying a nice b2squirrel. I may not have the flying experience that obviously alot of the guys on this site have but mate i do know how hard it is to get started.

anyway keep your options open, listen and learn, and most of all put your head down and go for it.

good luck_tropic

Geordie-rider
5th Nov 2005, 09:40
Hi

I am looking at completing a CPL(H) in Queenslands.

I have looked at the majority of the schools mentioned in this thread and would like to know by somebody in the area if it would be possible/practical to commute daily from CBD in Brisbane to Sunshine Coast or PHS at Coolangatta.

Is traffic bad in the area, how long would it take? Whats public transport like?

Thanks in advance

Geordie
:ok:

r44tropic
5th Nov 2005, 10:11
georgie rider

it would be a bit of a mission getting down to coolangatta from the sunshine coast although i know a guy that finished his cpl at phs recently and enjoyed the experience. Id stick to the guys on the sunshine coast with chopperline at the top of the list

tropic

BigMike
5th Nov 2005, 11:29
r44tropic, I think you will find he said commute from Brisbane CBD in which case Coolangatta is probably slightly closer. PHS is an excellent choice if your looking at a chance for work afterwards (there tourist operation at Ayers Rock) Only heard good things about Chopperline as well. Another school to look at is Rotorwing at Coolagatta run by Roland Pagels. Really nice guy and great instructor with a lot of good contacts in the industry. Go and visit all 3 and see what you think.

Oogle
5th Nov 2005, 13:21
Ring any of the schools and they will readily give you the info you need.

7balja01
6th Nov 2005, 02:18
Geordie,

why not give the blokes at archerfield a go. You'll be stuffed drivin to coolangatta constantly.Howerver I do understand PHS has a good deal with their job prospects at uluru

jacob.;)

r44tropic
6th Nov 2005, 10:12
I have a mate who's just completed his flying with PHS in Coolangatta. He loved his training and highly recommends them however there is a limit to the jobs at their operation at Uluru, so be careful to anyone who's promised work after completing their CPL(H). While he's hopeful he's looking elsewhere as having just finished he's at the bottom of a long line up.

BigMike
6th Nov 2005, 10:28
r44tropic

Too true. At least PHS do give a few a start every year.
For those about to spend the money, just remember you are doing a CPL with a view to working afterwards. Look at the schools and see if there is any prospects with them once you have finished. I don't just mean a job, but ferry flights, the occasional jo-flight, chance to help out, etc.
The Helicopter Group in Melbourne also have an operation in Central Australia, so a call to them wouldn't hurt either.

I don't think any school in Australia can guarantee you a job.

Geordie-rider
6th Nov 2005, 12:19
7balja01

Thanks. Will look into Archerfield.

Has anybody here done any flight training at Archerfield. Any info would be appreicated.

Cheers

Geordie

Texdoc
6th Nov 2005, 13:56
I am pretty sure that there are no longer any helicopter schools operating at Archerfeild. Closest to Brisbane is Aeropower at Redcliffe www.aeropower.com.au (they use the 300), then you also have Airwork at Caboolture www.airwork.com.au (they use 47's)

outhouse
7th Nov 2005, 09:09
Hi.Geordie-rider
Following your thread, have you contacted Kestrel? At Bangalore north of Brisbane I understand they are good.
If you want more info or contact information let me know.
MTFBWY
outhouse

birdman
7th Nov 2005, 10:03
Kestrel are located at Mangalore Airport which is north of Melbourne in Victoria.

Hope this helps!

Birdman.;)