PDA

View Full Version : Medals

Onan the Clumsy
29th Oct 2005, 03:03
Do some medals come with extra bonuses?

I though I had read that if you got a certain medal you never paid taxes again or something.

just wondering.

Fg Off Kite
29th Oct 2005, 03:12
Yup, if you're awarded a posthumous medal, that is indeed the case

airborne_artist
29th Oct 2005, 05:19
VC and GC holders get an annuity of £1,495, but this page (http://www.gc-database.co.uk/decoration.htm) does not make it clear if it is taxable.

ORAC
29th Oct 2005, 06:02
Doesn't look like it, except for paraplegics. Even CMOH holders only a $425 exemption. This is from the Massachusetts tax code ( I presume the USA is applicable from your location)

VETERANS ...exemptions to certain veterans (and their spouses or surviving spouses) who were not dishonorably discharged....

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS & AMOUNTS

Clause 22 - $250.00:
This exemption is available to the following classes of persons:

Veterans with a war-service connected disability of 10% or more as determined by the Veterans Adminstration or the branch of service from which separated, or
Veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart, or
Gold Star mothers and fathers, or
Spouses (where the domicile is owned by the veteran's spouse) and surviving spouses of veterans entitled to exemption, or
Surviving spouses of World War I veterans so long as they remain unmarried and so long as their whole worth, less any mortgage on the property, does not exceed $20,000.

Clause 22A - $425.00:
This exemption is available to veterans (and their spouses) who:

Suffered in the line of duty the loss or permanent loss of use of one foot or one hand or one eye, or
Received the Congressional Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross or Air Force Cross.
If the subject property is greater than a single family house, only that fraction of $425 which corresponds to the segment occupied by the veteran will be allowed

Clause 22B - $775.00:

Suffered in the line of duty the loss or permanent loss of use of both feet or both hands or both eyes.
If the subject property is greater than a single family house. only that fraction of $775 which corresponds to the segment occupied by the veteran will be allowed.

Clause 22C - $950.00:

Suffered total disability in the line of duty, and
Received assistance in acquiring "specially adapted housing" which they own and occupy as their domicile.
If the subject property is greater than a single family house, only that fraction of $950 which corresponds to the segment occupied by the veteran will be allowed.

Clause 22D - $250.00:
This exemption is available to surviving spouses (who do not remarry) of soldiers and sailors who:

Died in combat at the islands of Quemoy and Matsu.

Clause 22E - $600.00:
This exemption is available to veterans who:

Suffered total disability in the line of duty and are incapable of working.
If the subject property is greater than a single family house, only that fraction of $600 which corresponds. To the segment occupied by the veteran will be allowed.

Paraplegic - Total Exemption:
This exemption is available to veterans and the surviving spouses who do not remarry of such veterans who are certified by the Veterans Administration as paraplegic.

WARTIME SERVICE
Wartime service is service performed by a "Spanish War veteran," a "World War I veteran," a "World War II veteran," a "Korean veteran," a "Vietnam veteran," a "Lebanese peace keeping force veteran," a "Grenada rescue mission veteran," a "Panamanian intervention force veteran," a "Persian Gulf veteran," or a member of the "WAAC. " The dales for each qualifying military action are set out in G.L. Ch. 4 §7(43).