PDA

View Full Version : Using electronic devices on board

tec
28th Oct 2005, 20:32
Hi,

It is forbidden to use a video cam on board a plane. At the start of every flight, it is asked to turn off all electronic devices. I understand the case of transmitters etc. but video cams? Can anybody explain what harm can a video cam cause - what is the real reason (technical) behind this requirement, if any?

Another thing: curious about short *bling* kind of signals when the plane takes off and decends. What do those signals indicate, do they mean reaching a certain altitude?

Thanks.

29th Oct 2005, 11:35
Any electrical or electronic device will emit a very small RF (radio) signal when turned on. This is due to the flow of electricity down a conductor. This signal should be far too small to affect any aircraft systems, as the device should be screened, and also the aircraft wiring is normally screened to prevent interference.

I suppose that there is a tiny possibility of a video camera interfering with something on the aircraft, and the airline are just being extra cautious.

The take off and landing are the most important times, and any small problem to the aircraft systems at either of those times could be very dangerous. You can normally use these devices when the aircraft has reached its cruising altitude.

Wing Commander Fowler
29th Oct 2005, 11:53
"bling" - flight deck often utilise the momentary cycling of the seatbelt signs as a means of communication with the cabin crew. Generally, the ping you here shrtly after take off is to signal that the cc are free to move around. In my company we normally place the seatbelt signs on passing 15000 feet in the descent. If they are already on prior to that due to turbulence then a cycle of that switch again represents a signal that we are passing that altitude on the approach and start to prepare the cabin accordingly.

Alternatively maybe someone's just impatient for a drink??? :E

apaddyinuk
29th Oct 2005, 13:47
All the above AND.....

Something such as a video camera can be rather bukly and solid, if there was a sudden impact or even breaking while the aircraft is taking off/landing then a video camera could become a possibly lethal missile in the cabin should you let go of it!!! It should be safely stowed in the overhead bins or in a bag under your seat. Also, if you are using a video cam your concentration will be occuppied with whatever you are recording so if something happens you may not be as immediately aware and thus hamper any precautionary action!!! Take for example the Air France evac a few months ago, how many people must have sat in their seats or blocked the aisles from evacuating pax and crew so that they could switch on their phone, wait for it to load and then take pictures of the interior...imagine what you would be doing if you had a video camera. It may be great to sell to the news agencies but it could be so dangerous if you prevented people or yourself from evacuating! Thank god the Air France flight did evacuate without any problems. Of course, you are allowed to use video cams onboard but it is suggested you ask any strangers/passengers and crew if it is ok to video them or parts of the plane as this is considered polite and in this day and age, crew have to look upon people suspiciously and report odd happenings to the captain! If a complaint comes in from another passenger then Im afraid the crew would more than likely tell you to stop recording and put it away!!!

tec
29th Oct 2005, 14:03
Thanks for your answers, all good points!

marlowe
29th Oct 2005, 15:24
Also take off and landing is when there is most chance of an incident happening and so cabin crew would like you more focused on that aspect at this time, than playing with your latest electric gizmo .

Final 3 Greens
29th Oct 2005, 18:47
If you watch the emergency exit lights after take off, the first "bling" is often those being turned off, only a few seconds after lift off.

Wing Commander Fowler
29th Oct 2005, 22:25
Huh??? Which aircraft are you referring to there Final? :confused:

Final 3 Greens
30th Oct 2005, 07:20
Wingco, I do travel a lot, so I've seen it on a number of different types/airlines over the years.

Recently (and thus within firm memory), I've flown to/from Brussels 6 times in the last three weeks and noticed this event; the aircraft type involved was the A32x and the airline BA.

Wing Commander Fowler
30th Oct 2005, 07:41
Travel a bit meself since I'm a 73 skipper, not flown a type yet where there is any correlation between the emergency exit lights and 200 feet (or any feet after takeoff). Can't think of any logical reason for there to be any either. In all my types the emergency exit lights are "armed" when we make it so, which is prior to boarding pax and disarmed prior to us powering down the electrical systems at the end of our duty. They come on automatically in the event of loss of electrical power to DC bus 1 OR if the flight attendants manually switch them on.......

This is why I ask which types you refer to since of course there are differences, it's possible that that french thing MAY have them on at all times when on the ground?? Have a few mates who fly the citroen - will ask them...... Standby! :cool:

Final 3 Greens
30th Oct 2005, 16:24
Wingco

If you travel in 0L, then you wouldn't know what we see in the back, would you :}

Seriously though, I can attest that the emergency lights in BA 32x go off after lift off (with the saem aural alarm as the seat belt sign - not too smart IMHO), whether its automatic or crew induced, I haven't got a clue.

We pax do observe the odd thing, from time to time, like BAs 76 long haul IFE moving map showing STN/EGSS to the SE of London.

Wing Commander Fowler
30th Oct 2005, 23:00
Hehe! Final - if I didn't know what was going on in the back then I'd not consider myself deserved of seat 0L. Like I say - not that au fait with the continental thingy but looking into it ;)

TightSlot
31st Oct 2005, 00:05
Fascinating!! All the Boeing twins that I've worked on (down the back) have an emergency light switch on the f/deck, and a guarded switch on one of the cabin control panels. We only ever use it during a manual safety demonstration: The system is designed to switch on automatically in a complete electrical failure. The primary switch is of course on the flight deck, from where the pilots can control the emergency light system. Us Galley Rats are told never to use the system without permission (or for safety or demo) as it has some sort of draining effect on the battery.

I've never heard (or seen) the system used after take off in the way described - but then I'm low to nil time on the strimmers!!

Waiting with interest Cpt Fowler

Final 3 Greens
31st Oct 2005, 06:48
TS

The emergency exit signs on the BA 32x's are "on" for takeoff (can't honestly recall whether they are on for boarding or switched on later) and are noticeable, because they are rather bright with the lights dimmed.

When they are switched off, after lift off, it is also equally noticeable by their absence.

This may be atypical for the industry, but that wouldn't be the first time for BA, e.g. the monitored approach raises its head from time to time in other fora.

TightSlot
31st Oct 2005, 08:49
Never doubted you for a moment F3G (always a reliable source) - Just very curious as to how/why?

EGLKFlyer
31st Oct 2005, 09:22
I'm with F3G on the exit lights on the BA A3xx as I too seem to spend far too much time inside them.

As a humble passenger with PPL, it appears to be that the pre-takeoff checks (taxiing onto the runway) include an item to turn on the emergency exit lights. Shortly after takeoff, just after raising the u/c, turn them off again.

On approach, it's the reverse. Gear down, short pause, exit lights come on. In my own sad little world, it was a useful time to practice the AA-5's downwind checks in my head: [Brakes off], Undercarriage down & welded (as you hear the gear being lowered), Mixture - rich, Fuel pump - on, Fuel contents - good, Altimeter - set, Radio call, T's & P's - green, Hatches & harnesses - secure. You generally get to "secure" as the lights go on and hear the bong. It proved to me that all pilots follow checklists :)

Like I said, my own sad world, but it helped me remember it for the skills test!

The other thing I had to ask an A3xx FO about were the 3 chirps you hear from the front on short final. That's the autopilot being deselected - he told me that it is "normally" around 1,000'.

GLAcabincrew
31st Oct 2005, 12:22
The "bling" you hear before take off is to let the cabin crew know that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should they get out of their seats as the aircraft has turned or is about to turn onto the runway and takeoff is imminent. After take off, it is as stated by other contributors, to advise the cabin crew that they (but not the passengers) can get out of their seats. Hope this helps.

As far as I know, all electronic devices can be used after the seatbelt sign is switched off after take off (usually about 18,000 feet) until it is switched on again during the descent (usually about 15,000 feet).

Hope this helps.

Yellow Sun
31st Oct 2005, 15:04
No, you aren't imagining it:

As a humble passenger with PPL, it appears to be that the pre-takeoff checks (taxiing onto the runway) include an item to turn on the emergency exit lights. Shortly after takeoff, just after raising the u/c, turn them off again.

but the reason it occurs is related to the position of the "No Smoking" switch:

NO SMOKING switch

ON : The EXIT and NO SMOKING signs come on, with a low tone chime.

AUTO : The EXIT signs come on, when the landing gear is extended, and they go off when the landing gear is retracted. A low tone chime sounds (depending on the CIDS/CAM programming), when the lights go on or off.
The NO SMOKING signs are on.

OFF : The EXIT and NO SMOKING signs are off. A low tone chime sounds, when the lights go off (depending on the CIDS/CAM programming).

YS

Wing Commander Fowler
1st Nov 2005, 00:29
Aah - yellow sun! Thankyou for that! Can see the logic behind that now......:ok:

spiney
7th Nov 2005, 04:01
I remember a few years back Avianca Cabin Crew getting VERY excited about CD Walkmans... and not just at take-off and landing either - any time. They seem to have got it into their minds that the lazer on the CD Player was somehow hazardous. Got to the point you had to hide the thing under a blanket and pretend you were watching the crap IFE... Strangely enough they didn't seen to bother about Laptops. Thank Goodness for iPODs...

woderick
7th Nov 2005, 09:01
Regarding the EXIT signs.
By whatever name Aircraft coming from Airbus have pretty much conventional EMERGENCY lights which are armed in the normal way and illuminate, conventionally, in the event of electrical power failure, or when being tested only.
They also have EXIT signs which are normally on on the ground or correctly with the gear extended, and extinguished in flight.
The usual disclaimer is that this function is programable so all aircraft may not be the same.