View Full Version : Good 'ole US of A!

colmac747
28th Oct 2005, 20:42
:p http://www.reandev.com/taliban/

:mad:

:}

Jerricho
28th Oct 2005, 20:44
Awww, the web filter here at work has blocked it under "Racism and Hate".

I'm more than a little curious now

con-pilot
28th Oct 2005, 20:48
And your point is?:rolleyes:

It's called Freedom of Speech.:hmm:

No big deal Jerricho, it just a bunch of quotes (mostly taken out of context) from some rather far-right type folks in the US. The usual dribble.:suspect:

CargoMatatu
28th Oct 2005, 20:51
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

colmac747
28th Oct 2005, 20:57
Like this one Con-Pilot?

"I'm an old-fashioned woman. Men should take care of women, and if men were taking care of women today, we wouldn't have to vote."

:ouch: :suspect:

Just a small taster for you Jerricho - bet you can't wait to get home?:p

Caslance
28th Oct 2005, 21:04
Oh.... I just love this one: George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United States, he was appointed by God.Take a bow, Lt. Gen. William G. Boykin.

They don't let him have a gun, do they? :ooh:

con-pilot
28th Oct 2005, 21:07
As I said, it’s called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Just because I don’t agree with what they say doesn’t stop me defending their right to make such statements.

I am sure there is a website with all the wise and wonderful thoughts and statements for people like Louis Farrakhan, Michael More, etc. Why not post some of their stupid statements; god knows they have made enough of them.

Caslance
28th Oct 2005, 21:09
As I said, it’s called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Just because I don’t agree with what they say doesn’t stop me defending their right to make such statements. Ah.... you'd uphold everyone's right to state their opinions and beliefs, then?

Everyone? :hmm:

Oh.... and don't you dare associate me with hatemongers like Farrakhan. :mad:

Lon More
28th Oct 2005, 21:20
The frightening thing is people listen to them and accept their rantings as fact.

And you thought Blair was bad?

con-pilot
28th Oct 2005, 21:25
Cas, I really am surprised that you would ask that question. Yes I firmly believe that everyone has or should be afforded the right of freedom of speech.

I also retain the right to not listen to views I don’t agree with and that freedom of speech does not allow one to yell fire in a crowed theater.

Do you believe in freedom of speech? For everyone? Seriously, who would decide what or who we could hear or be allowed to listen to?

To be true I have made statements like “That guy shouldn’t have said that.” and similar such remarks, but never said a person should not be allowed make a statement. No matter how much I disagreed with their statement.

Edited to add; Sorry, just now saw your remark about Farrakhan. I would never do that for a couple of reasons. One being that to do so would be a grievous personal insult, secondly I agree with more of your posts than one might think.

arcniz
28th Oct 2005, 21:32
Here's a theory:

Across the entire planet, every society and every community of any size has some portion of fools, idiots, demented, curmudgeons, psychotics, feeble-minded, drug and alcohol-addicted, stupid, vicious, confused, optimistic and religious people.

The nice thing about "freedom of speech" is that it gently encourages such folks to reveal these proclivities, so others can see them coming and prepare accordingly.

African Tech Rep
28th Oct 2005, 21:33
Got to admit I smiled at Bob Dornan’s quote
"Don't use the word 'gay' unless it's an acronym for 'Got Aids Yet'"

Lon More
28th Oct 2005, 21:34
Don't use the word 'gay' unless it's an acronym for 'Got Aids Yet' said with a Nigerian accent?

con-pilot
28th Oct 2005, 21:36
You got it arcniz. The head on the nail one might say.:)

Evening Star
28th Oct 2005, 21:42
Deary deary me, where did they find that lot? :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Ali Barber
28th Oct 2005, 22:03
These gibbering idiots (exercising my right to free speech) can say that, but we're not allowed to call someone "fat" in Manchester, even if they have just run us over and all we're trying to do is describe the driver!

con-pilot
28th Oct 2005, 22:33
There are a lot of misconceptions on what people in the United States are allowed to say in public or in a public fourm.

Probably the best example is the word, you know, the “N” word. It is not illegal to use that particular word. It is not terribly smart to use that word at all and in the wrong crowd one’s face may be rearranged on its use. Never the less it is legal. To my knowledge it is the most condemned word in the world and in history, as it should be.

Now with profanity that is a different subject altogether.

tony draper
28th Oct 2005, 22:38
Just as well,the Black folk would have a very limited vocabulary without the N word.
:rolleyes:

Darth Nigel
28th Oct 2005, 22:40
Across the entire planet, every society and every community of any size has some portion of fools, idiots, demented, curmudgeons, psychotics, feeble-minded, drug and alcohol-addicted, stupid, vicious, confused, optimistic and religious people. Agreed wholeheartedly, but how come so many of them end up running for public office ?

African Tech Rep
28th Oct 2005, 22:52
Just after getting here myself an a colleague went shopping for coffee – they have a wide variety so my friend started einie minie miney mo – just before he got to what is caught by the toe he looked around – a couple of people were watching him, many weren’t – but we were also the only two whites in the whole supermarket. :\

Bit off thread – but con-pilot opened the door :E

Don’t even think the N word is banned down here – but call someone a K***** or Dutchman and you’ll be in trouble.

Evening Star
28th Oct 2005, 22:59
einie minie miney mo – just before he got to what is caught by the toe he looked around

Little Miss ES (aged 6) uses quite an ingenius variation from school, something along the lines of:

Einie minie miney mo
Is it yes or is it no?
Which one stays and which one goes?
Einie minie miney mo

Rather PC without being po-faced. Much impressed when I first heard it.

Lon More
28th Oct 2005, 22:59
Just as well,the Black folk would have a very limited vocabulary without the N word or the Mo-fo one:O

BombayDuck
29th Oct 2005, 04:24
erm...

One has heard the "eeny meeny miny moe" line followed by

"Catch a tiger by the toe"

Nothing (or as drapes would say, Nowt) wrong with that, as far as I can see....

Now, if the original phrase had something else instead tiger :uhoh: Am I right?

DeBurcs
29th Oct 2005, 04:48
So David says, "Sodomy is a graver sin than murder."

But then Fob says, "A good butt-whipping and then a prayer is a wonderful remedy."

Make up your minds... :rolleyes:

I like: "...other religions whose tenets are... 'Kill everyone who doesn't smell bad.' "

Classic!! :ok:

West Coast
29th Oct 2005, 13:01
"Good 'ole US of A!"

Long may idiots like these have the ability to make stupid quotes like those. Tolerance of opinions such as these is a hallmark of a democracy. I would hope in the "Good 'ole U of K" that there is an equivelent list. You could start with a few quotes from Galloway.

Dead_Heading
29th Oct 2005, 14:09
Extremists are all the same, be they muslim, christian, American, British, German, Russian, Saudi.......

Like politics, any regime taken to the extreme right or left is affectively the same.

barit1
29th Oct 2005, 14:18
Gee, they left out a whole bunch of great quotes from Bill & Hillary, Al Bore, Teresa Heinz Kerry & her hubby, and countless others... ;)

fmgc
29th Oct 2005, 14:49
What really worries me is this one from the present incumbant at the White House:

"God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

Maxbert
29th Oct 2005, 18:27
... OK to post this, then? :E

...:( Can someone pls. tell me how to insert a piccy?
:confused: :{

flynverted
29th Oct 2005, 18:52
Go to http://www.photobucket.com/
upload your pic there, then c&p the img into your post, like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/alko1.jpg

Maxbert
29th Oct 2005, 19:05
Thanks flynverted! :ok:

On my way to the site now- Stay tuned for my pic! (I may be awhile...)

Maxbert

tubthumper
29th Oct 2005, 19:10
Thank goodness someone has changed the subject. I had a horrible thought that this was going to develop into another USA/UK slagging match, and we don't want another one of those, do we?:zzz:

Maxbert
29th Oct 2005, 19:19
Like this?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/Maxbert/Camel.jpg

:}

flynverted
29th Oct 2005, 19:26
Spot on, mate. :ok: :ok: