PDA

View Full Version : Question about vision........

TidelWave
15th Jun 2001, 20:53
My vision seems to be the only thing that could hold me back from becoming a pilot and making a career out of flying helicopters.

Is there any restrictions if you have a very slight problem with color-blindness? I have a tough time with some greens/reds. But it is very slight and I can can easily make them out in every day life. Thanks.

ShyTorque
15th Jun 2001, 21:55
I suggest that you contact your local CAA AME Doc who will be able to test and advise you.

Best of luck.

ShyT

Flight Safety
16th Jun 2001, 06:46
Check out the FAR link below.

http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/AAM-300/part67.html

Look at parts 67.103 (1st class), 67.203 (2nd class) and 67.303 (3rd class) for eye requirements for medical certificates. I have to admit however that the language on color perception is not as clear as you'd think it should be.

------------------
Safe flying to you...

KJF
16th Jun 2001, 08:18
I had a similar problem myself. I was given a test where flashcards (with colored sploches) were held up in front of me and I could not determine the letters / numbers on the cards. This was for an F.A.A. Third Class Medical. If this is your situation also, do what I did. My doctor recommended I take what is called the "Farnsworth Lantern Test". This test consists of being seated about 10 to 15 feet from (what looks like) A small movie projector. The doctor will make it flash red, green or white light. You must respond by identifying what color light is being flashed. This worked well for me. If all goes well be sure to get a document from the doctor that indicates success. You should never have A need to test again as color blindness is a "you have it or you dont" sort of thing. If this is not an option, you may have one last shot. Here in America if you can coordinate with the F.A.A. and a local control tower, have the control tower flash its light gun signals to you. If you can quickly and decidedly determine the colors (red, green, white)often the F.A.A. will approve. Hope this helps!! If there is anything else I can help with, contact me at [email protected].

rotorfan
16th Jun 2001, 08:57
TW - In the US, you can get a Waiver of Demonstrated Ability. That's the fancy name for what KJF described. I also have red/green (the most common kind) and, like you, I don't have any practical problems seeing the colors. The eye-charts with the colored dots are wretched. I do lousy. But with an inspector out on the ramp, the tower shot the light gun colors at us and I told the inspector what they were. The waiver is a one-time thing, although many doctors continued to test me with the colored dots each time I had a medical exam. I believe if you can't pass, you're restricted from night flying. The whole point is being able to see red/green wingtip lights at night, I think. Good luck.

TidelWave
21st Jun 2001, 00:32
Thanks for all the comments. That was exactly what I was looking for.